Mobil 1 and long engine life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at a commercial power equipment store and today a customer came in with a Kawasaki 17 hp. V twin on a commercial mower.The unit had over 1300 hrs. on it and ran like a top, no oil burning no death rattles , ran better than some new units.So he says to me "runs good huh?" Well it turns out that he has been running Mobil 1 10w30 since day one. Now a little side note, this motor usually never sees this many hours with out major engine work so it seems that the use of a good synthetic does in fact prolong engine life. I also ran a compression check on the motor and both cylinders were within 5 psi of a new unit that was in the showroom.I guess Mobil 1 will pay off in the future.

Synthetic oil is a perfect match for air cooled engines. I'm making the assumption that the KAW V-Twin is air cooled. Just think, if synthetics were around when the VW flat four was popular they would have lasted forever!

The more I think about it, I can see no good reason not to use a full-on synthetic oil and extended intervals, unless you really like changing oil...in which case you could just drain it into a clean pan and pour it back in the crankcase if that's what you're into [Big Grin]

Are you a mechanic?? Wow are you the only one with your eyes open?? You would think with the amount of engines that you see everyday, that it would be a no brainer. I have a guy here at work that works on cars for a hobby, he has used mobil one since the 1980's. He says that his engines are so clean.

My personal weed-eater, a non-commercial grade unit, obviously air-cooled has become a trusty friend of mine on my acre and a half; this is my 9th mowing season and she still runs great. Best part, I've only changed the plug once. Never had the compression checked but that's a great idea. By the way, it too has been on a high-quality synthetic, two-stroke oil, mixed at 50:1 the entire time.

Status
Not open for further replies.