Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30; Have cold weather specs been downgraded?

The previous data sheet from 2014 showed:
20-30% PAO
30-40% what also appears to EHC 45 (it's the only product from XOM with that CAS # based on that previous link)

The previous data sheet from 2014 showed:
20-30% PAO
30-40% what also appears to EHC 45 (it's the only product from XOM with that CAS # based on that previous link)

Yeah I was gonna say that AFE was always touted as an oil with up to 30% PAO. It is interesting that Mobil 1's fuel economy oil has the same pour point as its motorcycle V-twin 20W-50...

Having said that I realize that pour points are in no way the end all and be all of well formulated oils...

Certainly a possibility ^^^^^↑^

And if it were me... And call me crazy... But I think I'd trust Mobil 1.... :LOL:

Op not trying to give you a hard time here. Not my thought or intention at all. Just having fun and joking around with the second statements there.

With regards to Quaker State Synthetic now being GTL, it is. I posted the msds in a previous thread. <90% fischer tropsch.

Last edited:
Yes you right because I was seen some msds for regular Mobil 1 and HM and adavance fuel economy has lower Poa content from previous MSDS sheet
I assume less PAO and more GTL is the reason for the change.

Why not use 0W-20?

My thoughts exactly. In negative temps, driving with the heat on full blast, your oil will likely not hit 100c even after hours of driving. You'll stay think enough where a 20 grade can still be safely used in all likelihood.

My thoughts exactly. In negative temps, driving with the heat on full blast, your oil will likely not hit 100c even after hours of driving. You'll stay think enough where a 20 grade can still be safely used in all likelihood.
I prefer a __W30 in the summer, and I could change the oil seasonally. But we don”t put a lot of miles on, and I’ve been changing the oil every 10 - 12 months.
I know W30 vs W20 is splitting the finest of hairs, but this is BITOG 😊.

OP: Could add a litre of M1 0W20 EP to the mix - or even some MOTUL VAG 508 00.

AFE is just a syn blend. And the climate where you live and drive matters.

I can tell you that 508 00 stuff is thin thin thin. and feels very majority PAO.
with me having experience running engines with this oil in the sump.
No hair splitting there.

The best cold weather oil I've run was Motul 8100 EcoNergy A1, B1 5W30.
The engine couldn't even tell it was cold out. But those were outdoor -27c starts.
But that 5W would not be good to -40.

Maybe place and light a couple Sterno ® pots under the oil pan an hour before you start up :)

I prefer a __W30 in the summer, and I could change the oil seasonally. But we don”t put a lot of miles on, and I’ve been changing the oil every 10 - 12 months.
I know W30 vs W20 is splitting the finest of hairs, but this is BITOG 😊.
Easy solution, Castrol Edge 0W30 or 0W40. Pour point -57.
Though Edge 0W30 is heavy W30 oil. So, if short tripping, probably not best solution in vehicle that can use ILSAC GF oils.

Easy solution, Castrol Edge 0W30 or 0W40. Pour point -57.
Though Edge 0W30 is heavy W30 oil. So, if short tripping, probably not best solution in vehicle that can use ILSAC GF oils.

Is there a recent data sheet for the 0w30 EDGE?

Back