Mobil 1, 5W-30, 16835 miles, 2001 Toyota Echo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total miles on vehicle: 143745
Used for daily commute to work, 40 miles each way.
70% highway, 30% city.
Amsoil dual filter with by-pass, BE-90 and ST8A. Full flow oil filter -Supertech- changed @ 8k miles.

Analysis results by Oil Analyzers
Iron: 5
Chromium: 0
Lead: 0
Copper: 2
Tin: 0
Aluminum: 2
Nickel: 0
Silver: 0
Silicon: 12
Boron: 125
Sodium: 0
Magnesium: 167
Calcium: 2845
Barium: 0
Phosphorus: 1045
Zinc: 1240
Molybdenum: 67
Titanium, Vanadium, Potassium: 0
Fuel: VIS @ 100 c: 11.59
Water: 0
TBN: 2.88

At this wear rate it would be worth keeping the car for another 150k miles, although I am lusting after the new VW Rabbit. Why? More power, more room, better ride, safer, less MPG.

So, what do you guys think about these results?

I'm having no problem at all with the stuff that's apparently in (or not in) your oil. I'm more curious about what's in your bloodstream -- a bit too much crack by chance??? Perhaps causing halucinations when reading your UOA results???
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Seriously though, if these results are accurate, you're in great shape. Just another reflection of the love affair between M1 and Toyota engines, from the tiniest I-4s to the V-8 family, and all the V-6s in between.

Sleep well, you will probably die of old age before this engine does.
cheers.gif

Boron,magnesium,phosphorus, calcium and zinc are all a lot higher than other M1 reports.Any idea why?

SSDude:

My typical drive to work: First 2 miles at 30 Mph, next 5 miles at 50 Mph, then 25 miles at 65 Mph, the rest is stop and go, average may me 20 Mph. I am very easy on the gas, my first set of brakes lasted until 110k miles on the car. The first set of tires was done at 100k.

farrarfan1:

I don't have an explanation for the high Boron. I am guessing that magnesium, calcium and zinc might be leftovers from the last batch of Amsoil ASL and due to the quart of Amsoil ASL added when changing the full flow filter at 8k.

The reason I tried Mobil 1 this time was just to find out whether my previous good results were attributable to Amsoil, which is the oil I have mostly used in the past.

Obviously, in my case Mobil 1 is as good or better than Amsoil.

Pablo: Didn't you use to live in Lynden?

ekpolk: These results are accurate. Let me know if you want to see the actual oil analysis report which also includes the previous three reports. I would e-mail it to you.

TooSlick:

It is overkill but to me it makes more sense than mag tires or an expensive stereo.

If the car stays in the family until 400k or 500k miles and no other parts break down, it might make sense after all.

If the car is sold the filter system will be transferred to the next car.

It is a Toyota and you did use a by-pass filter, however, the oil stayed in grade, something Amsoil has never been able to do all that well. I think Mobil 1 maintains it's viscosity better than Amsoil. Probably due to the better quality XOM base oils that they only use for M1. IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by highmiler:
(...snip...)
ekpolk: These results are accurate. Let me know if you want to see the actual oil analysis report which also includes the previous three reports. I would e-mail it to you.

HM:

I'm not concerned about the accuracy on your end -- hope you didn't take my post in that way. I was just trying to find a humorous way to convey that sense of "holy &^$&" we're all having seeing this great result. I was just wondering if the lab might have been having an issue with their equipment. I hope not, but that would seem at least possible.
cheers.gif

ekpolk:

Don't worry, I know what you meant.

Labs are not perfect and a mistake by them is entirely possible.

I believe, based on several previous analysis done for the same engine, that I can safely do oil changes every 15k with either Amsoil or Mobil 1.

If cost is the most important factor, Mobil 1 is a little less than Amsoil because I can obtain it at WalMart.

quote:

Mobil 1 is a little less than Amsoil because I can obtain it at WalMart

That is what makes M1 so great. You can get in anywhere and it's every bit as good as Amsoil.

Highmiler,

A stunning result at the least. I too am driving a Echo but the '03 version so this is very interesting to me. I am intereted in the filter arrangement of course because I'm just using the normal Toyota filter. I'll search out the set-up.

I am a bit confused though so maybe you folks can help me with my thinking on this.

If the uber filter is removing the bad stuff including the wear metals is the resulting analysis not skewed? See, I haven't a clue if this is even possible. I need to study the by-pass forum for sure.

Well, dumb question or not I might not be the only one left clueless on this perspective. Clearly with the ever growing membership I can't be alone.

Thanks for any guidance on this. John

If the filter is removing the particles that cause wear in the engine I am more than happy. I am not willing to remove the filter system just to find out what the wear metals would be with the OEM filter.

Ideally, someone with a Toyota Echo will post the results of an oil analysis and we will have something to compare to.

John:

I'll certainly defer to the experts on this, but you've stumbled on a complex issue. As I understand it, from my consults with Terry and other "homework," the stuff that will typically show up in low-cost UOAs is far too small to be filtered out, even through a good bypass. Likewise, the "boulders" that your filter will catch may result in little or no show in the UOA (unless you order particle counts). But to keep it from being clear and easy for guys like me to understand, there is some overlap, and worse still, the extent of the overlap depends upon multiple factors, including the elements in question, the nature of particles, and on and on. For me anyway, it suffices to say that the pristine results with a bypass do not mean that the bypass is simply skewing results and "hiding" wear metal that's actually being generated. There may be a tad of this happening, but for the most part, I'd think this is what it looks like -- a really nice result.

This looks like the SL version of the Mobil 1, EP.

Note: Blackstone Lab results ALWAYS comes back low in terms of additive levels. So this result isn't surprising. The Amsoil bypass filters work as advertised, however I think they're overkill for most gas engine, passenger car applications, unless you're driving 40k-50k annually.

The TBN is at the point where you'd want to be changing this oil fairly soon.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back