Mobil 1 0w40 European Oil......the new 5w30?

I’ve owed it since new, currently at 26,000 miles. The oil change with valvoline advanced 5w-20 sn plus was performed at 22,000 miles roughly. It’s either the oil viscosity or the additive chemistry like you mentioned. Observed fuel economy is the same with 5w-20 or 5w-30.

Here is a link to pictures of the Australian print of the 2018 Camry Hybrid owners manual.

Toyota says you can 0W16, 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 or 15W40 in that VVTI engine

And despite that and other examples brought up many times a lot of regulars on here still don't understand why anyone would run a 5w30 if the oil cap says 5w20. And they keep on bringing up the question "why do you think you need to run a thicker oil"?

My question is why would you run 5w20 if the owners manual allows otherwise? Lasting 200k miles on 5w20 doesn't mean it will last 400k miles. Of course it might, but the whole reason we are here is peace of mind and trying to get as many miles as possible out of something.

Full saps oil is harder on emissions equipment and will lead to more valve deposits in GDI, which is why low and mid saps oils exist in the first place. As I said before Mobil 0w40 is quite high saps for a street oil. If you want to run Euro A3/B3 oils there are better choices than M1 0w40 for most situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Y_K
That proves that everything posted on BITOG isn't always true. :unsure:

Correct, or there's some liberal hyperbole being applied. M1 0w-40 was the factory and service fill for every AMG Mercedes, Porsche, SRT car and Nissan GT-R. Catalytic converter lifespan was never an issue and isn't currently with full SAPS oils in applications where they are appropriate. Reduced SAPS in Euro offerings was primarily pursued to mitigate GDI intake valve deposits and for "enhanced" emissions system compatibility, particularly with respect to diesels, which oils like the M1 ESP series apply to and this is spelled out in their verbiage:

Mobil said:

Mobil 1™ ESP​

Designed to help prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of emission systems in new, emerging diesel and gasoline powered European vehicles.

IF you have a car that burns a lot of oil, a full SAPS oil likely isn't an ideal choice, but that being said, many of the early E39 M5's drank oil and catalyst failure didn't seem to be an issue. There are plenty of cars where a cat failure happens and they've never caught a whiff of anything more additized than your average GF-5 SN parts store special.

Full saps oil is harder on emissions equipment and will lead to more valve deposits in GDI, which is why low and mid saps oils exist in the first place. As I said before Mobil 0w40 is quite high saps for a street oil. If you want to run Euro A3/B3 oils there are better choices than M1 0w40 for most situations.
Such as? :unsure:

Pennzoil 0w40 and Castrol 0w40 have lower saps level, although still considered full saps oils.

If you want to move into mid saps there is M1 ESP, Pennzoil Euro L/LX, and a bunch of other boutique offerings such as LiquiMoly, Motul, Total etc. Most of these are 30 grades but still maintain 3.5 minimum HTHS.

It is true that M1 0w40 was OEM fill on a lot of vehicles for a long time. Mostly before GDI became really prevalent or during the first generation before they realized carbon buildup would be a problem. There is a new 0w40 ESP developed for the Corvette to help mitigate these issues.

Reactions: Y_K
Pennzoil 0w40 and Castrol 0w40 have lower saps level, although still considered full saps oils.

If you want to move into mid saps there is M1 ESP, Pennzoil Euro L/LX, and a bunch of other boutique offerings such as LiquiMoly, Motul, Total etc. Most of these are 30 grades but still maintain 3.5 minimum HTHS.

It is true that M1 0w40 was OEM fill on a lot of vehicles for a long time. Mostly before GDI became really prevalent or during the first generation before they realized carbon buildup would be a problem. There is a new 0w40 ESP developed for the Corvette to help mitigate these issues.
Where I live I can buy m1 0w40 on sale for about $5/qt for a 5qt jug (occasionally less), but Castrol 0w40 is never available on sale or in 5qt jugs, so it's $12/qt, or even more for the boutique options. That's why the m1 is my go to oil now.

I am now driving my truck an average of 6K miles a year (159K miles currently). If I were to choose a good 0W40 along with a NAPA GOLD or Motorcraft FL-400S oil filter, what would/could/should my next OCI be? 1 year and/or 6K miles?
Driving is 90% highway.

I am now driving my truck an average of 6K miles a year (159K miles currently). If I were to choose a good 0W40 along with a NAPA GOLD or Motorcraft FL-400S oil filter, what would/could/should my next OCI be? 1 year and/or 6K miles?
Driving is 90% highway.

If you are referring to the F150 in your signature I would just keep using the M1 0w40 since the truck is not direct injected

Yes, I personally wouldn't use it in a GDI application with there now being numerous other options available, but in a port-injected one? Certainly.

I've used the 0w40 M1 for years my John Deere mower and Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2L turbo. Just recently switch to M1 Truck and SUV 5w30 though for some reason....

Back