Mobil 1 0w-40

I
You're painting a generalization with a broad brush.
I buy Motorcraft FL-1A filters from Walmart for 3.98. I have bought a Toyota filter at the dealer for eight bucks. Maybe some European car owners can chime in on what a filter costs at their dealer (in the U.S.). I bet if you were to price similar engine parts or engines I would be right about costs also.

I

I buy Motorcraft FL-1A filters from Walmart for 3.98. I have bought a Toyota filter at the dealer for eight bucks. Maybe some European car owners can chime in on what a filter costs at their dealer (in the U.S.). I bet if you were to price similar engine parts or engines I would be right about costs also.
An MB branded oil filter will run almost $20. But the great thing about most European cars is that most parts are available from the original manufacturer of the OEM part, but at a significantly reduced price. For example, Purflux makes the Mercedes branded oil filter for my E350. And I can buy it, without the MB tristar printed on the end, for $11.

This holds true for so many parts.

To update:

Switched my 3MZ-FE (Lexus Es330) over to Mobil 1 0W-40 about 4,000 miles ago. It has since the switch consumed about 1/2 quart of said oil. It’s important to note a few things:

I performed a full tune up just prior

-oem spark plugs
-oem PVC valve
-new air filter/cleaned maf/cleaned throttle body

Car is at 142,000 miles no smoke from tail pipe or major leaks other than weeping valve covers. Engine had dealer oil changes and was driven by a old retired couple. Engine is super smooth on this oil. Wondering if it is in a cleaning phase and the consumption will settle after a change or two. Opinions?

Hard to say without more miles to go on.

For what it’s worth, I’m using the Mobil1 0w-40 on my daily driver, a 2002 Jaguar XXKR, with 172,000 miles on it. It’s been on a steady diet of that oil since my ownership began 3 3/4 years and 56,000 miles ago.

It’s the only car I’ve owned that had zero measurable oil consumption. I don’t know if it used oil before my ownership, but I doubt it . So can’t credit the Mobil 1 0w-40 with that plus.

Z

To update:

Switched my 3MZ-FE (Lexus Es330) over to Mobil 1 0W-40 about 4,000 miles ago. It has since the switch consumed about 1/2 quart of said oil. It’s important to note a few things:

-oem spark plugs
-oem PVC valve

Car is at 142,000 miles no smoke from tail pipe or major leaks other than weeping valve covers. Engine had dealer oil changes and was driven by a old retired couple. Engine is super smooth on this oil. Wondering if it is in a cleaning phase and the consumption will settle after a change or two. Opinions?
You don't state, so are we to assume that you had no oil consumption before switching to M1 0W-40?

I've used M1 0W-40 on two cars now, both with 10,000 mile oil change intervals. Neither in the SL550 or the E350, that I now drive, have I seen any measurable oil consumption. The SL550 had about 95,000 miles on it when it was wrecked, and the E350 currently has about 73,000 miles on it.

I also use 0W-40 in my B&S powered lawn mower and my Troy Built snow blower. Neither of these have shown any oil consumption.

So for me at least, my data doesn't show any oil consumption from using M1 0W-40.

You don't state, so are we to assume that you had no oil consumption before switching to M1 0W-40?

I've used M1 0W-40 on two cars now, both with 10,000 mile oil change intervals. Neither in the SL550 or the E350, that I now drive, have I seen any measurable oil consumption. The SL550 had about 95,000 miles on it when it was wrecked, and the E350 currently has about 73,000 miles on it.

I also use 0W-40 in my B&S powered lawn mower and my Troy Built snow blower. Neither of these have shown any oil consumption.

So for me at least, my data doesn't show any oil consumption from using M1 0W-40.
The car was recently purchased so prior I had driven around 5,000 miles on the conventional dealer bulk oil without any measurable consumption. This was prior to the tune up which included a large dose of PEA fuel system cleaner times 3.

Switched my 3MZ-FE (Lexus Es330) over to Mobil 1 0W-40 about 4,000 miles ago. It has since the switch consumed about 1/2 quart of said oil.
The car was recently purchased so prior I had driven around 5,000 miles on the conventional dealer bulk oil without any measurable consumption.

1. Nothing worth to lose sleep over. That's 1/8 quart per 1000 miles.
2. To short of a distance to gain any validated data.
3. I can't imagine one single reason why M1 could cause an increase in oil consumption over conventional.

To update:

-oem spark plugs
-oem PVC valve

To update:

-oem spark plugs
-oem PVC valve

****PCV

I have had great luck with Mobil 1 0W-40 in other applications, so I think I’ll just let it ride and repeat with another run after this cleaning phase and see what happens with respect to oil consumption.

I experienced the exact same consumption with 0w40 as any other 5w30 (M1,PUP and Valvoline).
The current M1 EP HM 5w30 seems promising.

Last edited:
Zeus0w40.jpg

OneOil.jpg

No reason other than a few members I respect use and recommend it as compared to Mobil 1.
Fair enough.

I was curious if you had actual data for your reasoning. I've considered many times if I should switch from M1 0W-40 European Formula to Castrol Edge Euro 0W-40. But at the end of the day, I haven't found any good reason to switch. So I was curious.

Back