Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time I went to a parts store I saw Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 on the shelf. Looking on the bottle, it mentioned being used for Dodge SRT engines. I didn't see any European approvals like BMW LL-01 or VW 502 listed. How is this oil different from Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w-40?

It is blended for Fiat and the SRT line. Since it does not have the Euro approvals I would not recommend using it in a application that recommends the mentioned approvals. But that does not mean I would not use it.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
It is blended for Fiat and the SRT line.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was all pure marketing.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I believe it is part of the benefit with being partners with Fiat.

Originally Posted By: Oversteer
The last time I went to a parts store I saw Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 on the shelf. Looking on the bottle, it mentioned being used for Dodge SRT engines. I didn't see any European approvals like BMW LL-01 or VW 502 listed. How is this oil different from Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w-40?

What you're talking about is the SRT specific oil. There's a different Ultra with Euro specs which is more inline with M1 and Castrol.

I also did not realize Pennzoil had the benefit of teaming with Penske.

Hence the reason the switch from M1 to Penzoil as factory fill.

Thank Fiat for that one too.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Originally Posted By: dparm
There is actually a Pennzoil Ultra Euro 0w40, but it's impossible to get.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007321581_201208130853.pdf

I suspect the off-the-shelf PU 0w40 you referenced would meet most of the Euro specs, as someone else alluded to.

Aren't most PU products near impossible to get???

Jeff

Not really. PU 5w40 was the hardest to get for a while, but it seems to be a bit more readily available.

PU Euro 0w40 is literally unobtainable.

I never seen PU Euro ANYWHERE on the shelf at least in my area in socal.

Order only online.

Penzoil trying to create a niche product that way or something? Bizzare.

Jeff

There is actually a Pennzoil Ultra Euro 0w40, but it's impossible to get.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007321581_201208130853.pdf

I suspect the off-the-shelf PU 0w40 you referenced would meet most of the Euro specs, as someone else alluded to.

Aren't most PU products near impossible to get???

Jeff

Not really. PU 5w40 was the hardest to get for a while, but it seems to be a bit more readily available.

PU Euro 0w40 is literally unobtainable.

Available at autozones around here

Only PU I have seen in stores is 5w30, 5w20 and 0w40. That would be it. Runs about $10 a qt. Wally World used to carry Ultra in 5 qt jugs in 5w20 and 5w30 but no longer.

PP, and PU Euro Oils are NEVER seen on the shelves within a a good 30 mile radius of stores where I live. I have checked them all out. Even while in a larger City San Diego recently I went into a Kragen there, and they didn't have it either, nor did a Pep Boys.

So maybe its just so low volume that the stores just dont warrant it?

I find that hard to believe though since every other car in San Diego is either a Merc, a BMW or a VW.

Im not going to hunt all over the place for this oil when I can buy M1 0w40 ANYWHERE. Heck I even saw a guy selling it at a swap meet haha.

Jeff

Last edited:
I find that hard to believe though since every other car in San Diego is either a Merc, a BMW

If they're newer models, they likely get serviced at Merc and BMW dealers, which means the owner isn't running around Walmart looking to buy their own oil.

Ultra 5w-40 and 0w-40 have in fact been historically tough to find locally, but from what I understand, this has changed recently. Still, it is usually cheaper and less of a hassle for me to just buy it on Amazon than from AutoZone, unless there is some huge BOGO sale going on...

I get free oil changes for my VW as do most german cars offer in there service.

But I still change it myself. Why not go to wally world and buy a spec oil for less money?

Makes sense to me. If PU Euro was available to me as easily as M1 and in a 5qt container on the shelf right next to the M1 maybe I would use it. Until then. .....

Jeff

But I still change it myself. Why not go to wally world and buy a spec oil for less money?

Yes, but keep in mind, we are in the minority here. Most newer luxury car owners (BMW, MB, Audi) don't do their own maintenance. They value the convenience of just taking their car to the dealer when the "service" light comes on and getting a loaner for the day. Going to walmart looking for oil would be an extra step and would take away from the convenience. Besides, majority of them would have no clue which oil to buy.

Not addressed to present company. But there are many luxury brand owners/leasers that believe that motor oil is fill for life they may not even know what a fill cap is for. Let alone have a clue what lube is specified for their vehicle. I would be happy if the people in question just picked up a major brand.

Yes, but keep in mind, we are in the minority here. Most newer luxury car owners (BMW, MB, Audi) don't do their own maintenance. They value the convenience of just taking their car to the dealer when the "service" light comes on and getting a loaner for the day. Going to walmart looking for oil would be an extra step and would take away from the convenience. Besides, majority of them would have no clue which oil to buy.

^^^^^^^^ Good point QP

Jeff

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Some of them don't even know how to open the hood, they only know how to fill up gas tank.

^^^^^^Probably true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back