Mobil 1 0w-40

I noticed all the pro-European car talk here and now it's European car oil. Is there another product I can sell that costs more if I put the word European on it? European filters? I actually like Bosch products until they farmed their relay flashers out to China. Don't take my post seriously.
I really don't care what you buy, as long as it makes you happy.
I don’t care either; as long as M1 0w40 comes with a rebate 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for posting the video.

Is the making of smoke to determine the tune or condition of the engine in any way, or is it just for fun and to make smoke for its own sake?

There's no purpose other than to make smoke. Some people will smoke out other drivers to be a nuisance.

What is "coal rolling?"
It's a diesel term and yes they tune it to make a lot of smoke. But on my Gas 2L turbo it happens when I'm caught flat footed in the wrong gear and too low of rpm. If I floor it the ECU dumps fuel to avoid detonation and I get a nice cloud of black smoke coming out the back until the rpms are up to 2800 or so.

Reactions: Y_K
I know what the excessive enrichment is for (to prevent knock/detonation/rod peekaboo) but 10:1 sounds over-the-top. Is this a canned tune?
I've not seen 10:1 but have seen 10.5 and that is usually at high rpm shifts with the manual. It is a custom canned tune, not a dyno. And after having it for 8 years and 80 thousand miles I wouldn't change thing on it.

When in closed loop and the AFR stays near the commanded stoic when shifting.

I've not seen 10:1 but have seen 10.5 and that is usually at high rpm shifts with the manual. It is a custom canned tune, not a dyno. And after having it for 8 years and 80 thousand miles I wouldn't change thing on it.

When in closed loop and the AFR stays near the commanded stoic when shifting.
Well, if you wouldn't change it, this dialogue is a bit moot. Dyno tuning is typically the preferred method, but if you are happy with it, then so be it.

If I raced it it would be different. But I out grew that stuff or rather my wallet did.

The LTFTs usually go to 0 when it's warmed up and cruising. On a pull it usually goes to low to mid 11s. Depends on conditions.

Last edited:
For a modern diesel to roll coal, as it is called around here, it needs to be modified. With factory tuning, diesel engines will not roll coal. A chip upgrade to the tuning will provide a boost in power, at the expense of fuel efficiency.

If I understand correctly, when a diesel engine is rolling coal, it is because it is running excessively rich. This produces a lot of power, but also blows a super dirty exhaust.

In talking to people on the subject, some kids (I say kids, because the majority of those that like to roll coal are in their teens or early twenties) like to roll coal as a show of power. But most like to roll coal just to annoy others.

Somehow, a big truck that rolls coal makes a boy into a man. Or so they think. Personally, I suspect they are trying to overcompensate.
Yeah, here CO State police doesn’t have understanding for it.

For a modern diesel to roll coal, as it is called around here, it needs to be modified. With factory tuning, diesel engines will not roll coal. A chip upgrade to the tuning will provide a boost in power, at the expense of fuel efficiency.

If I understand correctly, when a diesel engine is rolling coal, it is because it is running excessively rich. This produces a lot of power, but also blows a super dirty exhaust.

In talking to people on the subject, some kids (I say kids, because the majority of those that like to roll coal are in their teens or early twenties) like to roll coal as a show of power. But most like to roll coal just to annoy others.

Somehow, a big truck that rolls coal makes a boy into a man. Or so they think. Personally, I suspect they are trying to overcompensate.
Yep the best explanation I've heard of what the black smoke actually is coming out of a diesel exhaust is microscopic charcoal briquettes, essentially diesel fuel doesn't atomize very well since it's heavy and oily compared to gasoline, so diesel stays in microscopic droplets instead of atomizing so when all the oxygen around the droplet gets burnt up it, the remaining fuel droplet gets superheated without oxygen and essentially turns into a microscopic piece of charcoal.

Apparently you haven't priced M1 European Car Formula, Castrol Edge European Formula, or Pennzoil Euro. All three are priced the same as standard SN / SP formulas. Granted, there are some pricier Euro formulas like Motul. Just like Royal Purple and Amsoil.

But to suggest that a motor oil is more expensive just because it says "European" on it is totally wrong.
It's been my experience that anything European costs more. Parts are crazy expensive compared to Jap and American car parts. Maybe in Europe, the parts are not that expensive. But I do remember seeing European Mobile1 and it was a lot more expensive than the other oil.
I bet oil filters at a European car dealer are a lot more than a typical filter for a Toyota at a dealer in the U.S.

The immature roll coal crowd likes to do this to Prius drivers and unfortunately for me, minivan drivers. Many people have issues with their lungs and I think these rolling coal people should be heavily fined. These people are A-holes. I was always proud that my tractor trailer rig didn't smoke at all.

It's been my experience that anything European costs more. Parts are crazy expensive compared to Jap and American car parts. Maybe in Europe, the parts are not that expensive. But I do remember seeing European Mobile1 and it was a lot more expensive than the other oil.
I bet oil filters at a European car dealer are a lot more than a typical filter for a Toyota at a dealer in the U.S.
You're painting a generalization with a broad brush.

toyota genuine parts are as expensive as it gets and they often have an iron fist over their suppliers

Last edited:
The immature roll coal crowd likes to do this to Prius drivers and unfortunately for me, minivan drivers. Many people have issues with their lungs and I think these rolling coal people should be heavily fined. These people are A-holes. I was always proud that my tractor trailer rig didn't smoke at all.
And their the same people who complain about epa regs

Back