Mobil 1 0w-40

IDK, other manufacturers with port injection had low tension rings but no dilution.
Either way, yeah, heavy stuff is the way to go.
Could be the tune. It runs pretty rich on the shifts, mid to upper 10s. But every oil test I've done said dilution was a problem but it was still OK to use at 5k miles. I get +32 mpg with it.

If I'm at the right rpm I can do some coal rolling. :)

Last edited:
Could be the tune. It runs pretty rich on the shifts, mid to upper 10s. But every oil test I've done said dilution was a problem but it was still OK to use at 5k miles. I get +32 mpg with it.

If I'm at the right rpm I can do some coal rolling. :)
That doesn't sound great for the health of the rings/bores.

Is the idea to make smoke? Is it something people try to do, or does it just happen under certain circumstances? I never noticed it with either of my two 7.3 Navistar Diesels.

Yes, the goal is to make smoke.
Thanks for posting the video.

Is the making of smoke to determine the tune or condition of the engine in any way, or is it just for fun and to make smoke for its own sake?

I noticed all the pro-European car talk here and now it's European car oil. Is there another product I can sell that costs more if I put the word European on it? European filters? I actually like Bosch products until they farmed their relay flashers out to China. Don't take my post seriously.
I really don't care what you buy, as long as it makes you happy.

Thanks for posting the video.

Is the making of smoke to determine the tune or condition of the engine in any way, or is it just for fun and to make smoke for its own sake?
For a modern diesel to roll coal, as it is called around here, it needs to be modified. With factory tuning, diesel engines will not roll coal. A chip upgrade to the tuning will provide a boost in power, at the expense of fuel efficiency.

If I understand correctly, when a diesel engine is rolling coal, it is because it is running excessively rich. This produces a lot of power, but also blows a super dirty exhaust.

In talking to people on the subject, some kids (I say kids, because the majority of those that like to roll coal are in their teens or early twenties) like to roll coal as a show of power. But most like to roll coal just to annoy others.

Somehow, a big truck that rolls coal makes a boy into a man. Or so they think. Personally, I suspect they are trying to overcompensate.

I noticed all the pro-European car talk here and now it's European car oil. Is there another product I can sell that costs more if I put the word European on it? European filters? I actually like Bosch products until they farmed their relay flashers out to China. Don't take my post seriously.
I really don't care what you buy, as long as it makes you happy.
Apparently you haven't priced M1 European Car Formula, Castrol Edge European Formula, or Pennzoil Euro. All three are priced the same as standard SN / SP formulas. Granted, there are some pricier Euro formulas like Motul. Just like Royal Purple and Amsoil.

But to suggest that a motor oil is more expensive just because it says "European" on it is totally wrong.

Back