Mobi1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen ,would you please let me make a silly question?

Is it realy necessary for hydroprocessed to stand for hydrocracked??
It could mean hydro synthesis , H synthesis ,H+C synthesis.??

[ March 21, 2004, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: yannis ]

Hydroprocessed and hydrockracked oils are Group III oils received by different methods of hydrogen treatment. May be we have to use only a general name "Group III" when we don't know exactly what was the type of process. If I am not mistaken, there are:

- Hydrogen processing. It may be made to different depth: from hydrotreatment to hydrocracking
- Hydroisomerisation
- Hydrodewaxing (catalytic). It's made after hydrocracking or solvent dewaxing
- Hydrocracking (catalytic)

Most know brand names of Group III oils:

Shell: Shell XHVI, VI > 140
British Petroleum: HC (Hyrdrockracker Component), VI > 125
Exxon: ExSyn, VI > 140
Chevron: Isosyn, VI > ?
Fuchs: MC (Molecularly Converted) , VI > ?

Primus, where are you getting your numbers from? This is what I've been able to come up with, which might not be correct but is what I've found.
Primus, the VI of RL is very low. How does the VI prove it's a group III?

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Primus, where are you getting your numbers from? This is what I've been able to come up with, which might not be correct but is what I've found.
Primus, the VI of RL is very low. How does the VI prove it's a group III?

Buster,
Vous etes agent-provocateur
grin.gif
It seems our previous posts do not contain some mention of VI. Apparently you ask about Viscosity Index. Right ? Then the question is not correct because without knowing the type of base stock you shall not be able to answer why VI is relatively low or high.

But knowing VI and type of base stocks it's possible to make a rough estimation of how many VM (Viscosity Modifiers) were used in one oil with reference to another. The comparison will be more accurate if you take oils of the same grade and weight spread, i.e. compare 5W-40 with 5W-40 or 10W-30 with 10W-30 etc.

Primus, based on Mobil's PDS, they do use the term synthetic base stocks, including PAO's. Now this does sound speculative to some degree. I always took it as esters, being the other base stocks, which I still believe is the case. Looking at VI tells me nothing.

quote:

Mobil 1 is a fully synthetic motor oil for automotive engines. It is made from a unique combination of high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefin (PAO), plus the SuperSyn

At some point, I am going to send off a sample to Terry to have the new Mobil 1 R looked at far more in depth. Maybe this will let us know for sure.

[ March 21, 2004, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Hydroprocessing is a general term meaning that hydrogen is percolated (or hydrogen sulfide is added) through the hot base oil to improve it stability.

All decene-1 PAO's are sent to another step after polymerization called "hydroprocessing" which improves thermal stability on the high and low ends of the temperature scale.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Hydroprocessing is a general term meaning that hydrogen is percolated (or hydrogen sulfide is added) through the hot base oil to improve it stability.

All decene-1 PAO's are sent to another step after polymerization called "hydroprocessing" which improves thermal stability on the high and low ends of the temperature scale.

Thus you can bring a confusion. The question was about ways of getting Group III oils. When manufacturers indicate oil base stocks as PAO + Hydprocessed (Mobil) or PAO + HC (Castrol), they mean PAO + Group III, but not PAO + hydroprocessed PAO.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

quote:

The question was about ways of getting Group III oils.

What question? All I saw was a link to a Japaneese Mobil site?

Why then do we speak about hydroprocessing ? I thought we were replying to Yannis question about on hydroprocess vs. hydrocracking.

Primus, does this link that you posted answer your question on whether or not Mobil 1 is PAO? The above quote is off the US FAQ webpage.

This is from a Ferrari webpage:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------
Buster Wrote:
------------------------------
As far as the dino/syn content of Mobil 1, I received this email from Mobil:

"All Mobil1 motor oils that have ever been introduced are fully synthetic motor oils and are not hydrocracked. Mobil1 motor oils only contain Group IV and V basestocks."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This seems pretty clear to me. No Group III. What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back