Mixing Synthetic Oil Brands

An engine rebuilder on U-tube advised against mixing brands of synthetic oil because of different stock base & additive compounds being incompatible. I had not heard of this as being a problem. Please comment. Thank U

An engine rebuilder on U-tube advised against mixing brands of synthetic oil because .... Oil is designed so that is can be mixed and since oils are a blend of base stocks and there are only so many oil additive corporations that bacically are more alike that different We must question the engine builders credentials.

Reactions: JC1
Here is some info I found in this article:

If you topped up below 10% of the total engine oil capacity, then it is considered that no problems will occur
If you topped off from 10% to 30% it is advisable to reduce the remaining miles to the next oil change twice. For example: you have 4000 miles to the next oil change but meanwhile, you topped up about 30% different oil so it is recommended to change it after 2000 miles
If you topped up more than 30%, it is advisable to have an engine oil change as soon as possible.

Sigh...you can find anything on the internet if you look hard enough....

Lots of folks have YouTube videos and have published articles on websites proving that the Earth is flat.

Proving it. Authoritatively proving the flatness.

I don’t buy what they say either.

People have mixed oil for decades without issue. While it "might" not be the best thing to do, it certainly isn't going to harm an engine. My recommendation is to take what you see on "U-tube" with a grain of salt. There are a lot of smart individuals sharing info there, and a lot of hacks doing the same.

My Oil change ritual consists of me Changing the Oil/Filter with One Container , brand of choice.
Any left-over gets put in a "communal" container (as long as its the same Viscosity) to be used as top-up oil for any car that needs it.
I have at least 2 or 3 different oil brands in that communal container at a time...........GUILTY! ;)

Used it several times in the Toyota which is severe service and at 141001 miles it appears that just isn't an issue. Of course who knows I may find out I was wrong in 200,000 more miles.

Last edited:
An engine rebuilder on U-tube advised against mixing brands of synthetic oil because of different stock base & additive compounds being incompatible. I had not heard of this as being a problem. Please comment. Thank U
Regardless of Y’allTube videos … I tend to stick with the same brand if I’m trying to use up maverick oil.
Last change I used six M1 AP and two M1 EP etc … both 0w20 …

My thought is if you want an add pack to do what it was designed to do at 100% don't mix in a different add pack. I don't see it as being any different than mixing 0wXX with a 5wXX or 10wXX, your cold start properties could suffer.

On the other hand a lot of guys here claim to mix oil brands and get hundreds of thousands of miles out of their vehicle.

Last edited:
Oils are designed to be miscible, if you search for posts on the subject by user Shannow, he has painstakingly covered this topic in much detail. This does not mean that it is ideal or even advisable to mix oils from different brands, but it does mean they won't split like mayonnaise.

The most likely thing to suffer in a mix is the cold temperature performance.

Since oils are a carefully balanced blend of additives and base stocks, it's likely that you may negatively impact their performance in some way or another mixing it with an oil that uses different chemistry. This will not be discernible to Average Joe and would only suss-out by running the mix through the same battery of tests each of the individual oils was run through when formulated. Will it negatively affect engine life? probably not. There is a lot of margin.

My sense of this question is that you certainly can mix different oils (within reason) and you won’t hurt anything. But why not start with the premise that to get the full benefit of a certain oil’s chemistry you use one grade/brand per oci? I feel like that way, you get the result you paid for...

My Oil change ritual consists of me Changing the Oil/Filter with One Container , brand of choice.
Any left-over gets put in a "communal" container (as long as its the same Viscosity) to be used as top-up oil for any car that needs it.
I have at least 2 or 3 different oil brands in that communal container at a time...........GUILTY! ;)

...But why not start with the premise that to get the full benefit of a certain oil’s chemistry you use one grade/brand per oci? I feel like that way, you get the result you paid for...
But what do you do with the 1/2 qt of previous oil that is still lurking around in the engine? You will never get 100% of an oil unless you use the same oil as factory fill for the lifetime of vehicle. Sure if after 10 changes with Brand X you will have 99.9% of Brand X, but what if Brand X changed formulation?
It is a moot point, mix away. As said, oils are designed to be compatible with each other and cause no harm if mixed. Sure if you start out with Mobil 1 AP and add a qt of Supertech midway through you have "diluted" the Mobil 1, but nothing with that is incompatible.

People on youtube can say what they want, does not mean it is true/correct.

Back