Mixed Oil Debate

Please calm down and read the link again, because it is not a blender making a custom oil from scratch, it is a blender answering the question of mixing two already formulated oils purchased off the shelf, Nulon 25W60 with Edge 10W30. He liked the idea and gave his reason, and also gave me his preferred ratio.
Sure, I read all that and understood it clearly. It still didn't change anything. (after reading all the commentary, I question his credentials but that's a different story)

@Jimmy_Russels

All that's being shared is that mixing is not an avenue towards a better product.
How do you arrive at this conclusion? From lack of evidence that a mix is (or is not) any better than the one? That's a false concept.

If I claimed it was better, then it's on me to prove it. But w/o any claims of the mix being better you cannot ascertain that it's not. From your words, claiming the mix is no ave to a better product, you should then have to prove that, no?

@Jimmy_Russels response to me above...

That's a red hearing. It's incumbent upon the mixer to prove his concoction is superior to the formulated, tested, certified highest quality oil incorporated in the mix. Not the other way around.

And to be clear for all the extremist that say "nothing catastrophic occurred in my years of mixing" No one said there would be. All that's being shared is that mixing is not an avenue towards a better product.

I heard it was a herring. I think the spellcheck got ya.

How do you arrive at this conclusion? From lack of evidence that a mix is (or is not) any better than the one? That's a false concept.

If I claimed it was better, then it's on me to prove it. But w/o any claims of the mix being better you cannot ascertain that it's not. From your words, claiming the mix is no ave to a better product, you should then have to prove that, no?

No @Jimmy_Russels. I understand what you're saying but it just doesn't work that way. The highest quality oil in the mix stands by it's certifications and/or reputation as a reputable, respected and tested product. That alone makes it better than a mix conjured up by any of us in a garage without any semblance of industry standards applying. Hey, I've mixed in the past but never tried to convince myself that I should go the 10k miles the 1/5 oil in the mixture recommended.

Why is it OK if you want to use up old stuff, but not OK to do it with new oil ... ex: mixing 0W-20 with 5W-30 of the same brand and flavor, Castrol EP or Mobil 1 EP? It seems to me that using similarly formulated oils would be the ideal way to go if one wanted to mix. Why not every oil change under such a circumstance? Perhaps not ideal, but maybe most ideal?
Because I only mix if I have leftovers from previously and I dont have enough for the current OCI. If I have a whole stash of Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 ,and they are in 4L bottles and I need 4.3L, theres no need to mix. Now lets say I only have half a bottle 5w40 and a little over half 5W-30, why not mix and use it up. What I am saying is not to go out of the way to mix.

Not directed at your claims or you but that's the point. There is no reliable verifiable proof that any of this mixing did anything a fresh oil change wouldn't accomplish with all the apothecary stuff.

Even in your case, it could just as easily be said that the current oil in your engine was either low ( can create issues) or partially consumed (in terms of service) and it was not the "mixing" just the restoration did the trick.

People putting "stuff" in a blender and then imagining "supernatural achievements" based on anecdotal observations simply is not supported by any legitimate proof so far that I personally have ever seen or heard of.

Right up there with rain makers and patent medicines.
No, I'm sure it was a viscosity push. VVT out of range and engine clatter signaling K sensor = no power. I have done this too many times with similar results. Later I topped up with MORE 0W40 then I got out of range on the thick side. Still had power, but lost bottom end. And this is where I started, in the extreme, when the dealer put in a lubricant with an HTHS that is 1cP above the target viscosity.

I am a pessimist who absolutely relishes good luck as it often so rare; I expect the WORSE when I trial a mixture and am delighted - but not surprised - when it works as expected.

Because I only mix if I have leftovers from previously and I dont have enough for the current OCI. If I have a whole stash of Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 ,and they are in 4L bottles and I need 4.3L, theres no need to mix. Now lets say I only have half a bottle 5w40 and a little over half 5W-30, why not mix and use it up. What I am saying is not to go out of the way to mix.
Ahh ... so your comment was specific to your situation, not a generalization.

Thoughts on the Valvoline synthetic 0/20 and 5/30 being used in a vehicle? Being the same brand and type of oil...I never gave it a 2nd thought for using it in my wife's Corolla spec'd for 0/20 until I started reading this thread.
Shouldn't be. I've been doing split fills for the last 1.5 years as an experiment to narrow down what oil characteristics would slow down oil consumption in my odyssey and fit, no issues to date with mixing viscosity.

Sure you can along as they are both rated

Viscosity wise - you dont get what you think you get, but it doest matter much, if at all - if you are observing standard OCI's

Every time you do an oil change you mix new oil and old oil.
Most people can't grasp that.

Again fill in the blanks test here ,,,,There are how many additive companies on Earth____? There are how many base oil producers on Earth ____? Where does every quality blender get the adds and base oils from______?

No, I'm sure it was a viscosity push. VVT out of range and engine clatter signaling K sensor = no power. I have done this too many times with similar results.
I would agree as the most likely scenario.

Not toward you or anyone but in general...…

I don't have an opinion or thought one way or the other on mixing. I support the persons right to make their own decision and mix ( or not) accordingly.

I would not do it but only because I cannot see a benefit over a COTS properly spec'd oil that would justify the time and effort to mix. ( not because I think "bad things" could or will happen- personally with modern oils I doubt anything negative will happen unless the mixed components were truly chemically incompatible)

I was just curious if anyone had any legitimate verifiable proof of some sort of "real" benefit- so far it appears no.

I never mix oils but I like threads like this as they may point out advantages and/or disadvantages. I might learn a little here. I doubt that adding a different oil to top up is going to be a disaster but I wouldn't make a habit out of it. I do acknowledge that a few of you mix oils and get no problems from it.

I doubt that adding a different oil to top up is going to be a disaster but I wouldn't make a habit out of it.
This doesn't directly apply to multi-grade car oils as mine is industrial ISO types ( and there are some critical differences between those two)

Its common for plant oilers and lube techs to "top off" with whatever they have rather than what's on the lube plan.

It does show up on the OA changing viscosity ( get all kinds of notes to check the type of oil because it no longer matches the spec we sent) but seldom anything else of any distinction. We don't have gearboxes and HPU's falling out of the skies. ( but we do schedule a change when this is identified)

I'll open up a can of worms with this, but most of the Mobil oils have some decent boron numbers, while most Valvoline VOA's don't have hardly any. Anyone ever mixed any of those?

Valvoline Modern Engine 5w30 VOA

Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W20 VOA (BITOG)
If they did what would show the results?

The simple answer is that like any other mixture it would not retain any license, approval nor specification either one of the other oils might have since those are based primarily on the specific additive package.

Back