Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W20 VOA

Hello all,

The time has come! I have received the report. I don't really know what to make of this. I don't think I've seen Boron and TBN so high. A nice little dose of moly in there too. Let me know what you guys think! I've posted it as an image and attached the PDF for whoever wants it. Also something I should note, I shook the everloving **** out of the bottle before I poured it into the sample container. This should be a very well mixed sample. I tried to avoid the potential issue of additives settling near the bottom.

Specifications:
ACEA C5
API SN
Made in USA

Approvals:
VW 508.00/509.00
Porsche C20
MB 229.71
Jaguar/Land Rover STJLR.51.5122

Mobil1 ESP X2.PNG

Attachments

• VIRGIN 0W20-edited.pdf
    17.3 KB · Views: 190
It's loaded!

Approvals:
VW 508.00/509.00
Porsche C20
MB 229.71
Jaguar/Land Rover STJLR.51.5122

Good looking oil, but the comments from Blackstone are awful.

"the viscosity is in spec for a 0w-20 oil"

KV100 is... 9.56 cSt... which is in 30 grade territory, not 20 grade. Not that that's a bad thing.

They also show the phosphorus high for an API SN oil, above the 800 ppm maximum. I'd ask them to rerun it to verify the results.

Looks really good. I though the ESP line had a lower TBN due to the lower SA level? I wonder what they are using to boost the TBN that high? I may consider using this.

*Thank you for sharing.

Looks good. The rebranded VW/Audi 508.00/509.00 is what I have in our Tiguan.
It’s very close to the KV 100 of Pennzoil Platinum 5W30, according to a VOA done on this site in 2017.

Last edited:
Except for the exceptional TBN, the voa doesn't strike me as anything extraordinary.
Approvals and uoa are where these oils shine, not voa.

As for a KV100 of 9.56 cSt @100°c? Something's wrong there.

Here it shows barely at 8.0...

And on Mobil1's website its 7.8...

@BurntMusic, thank you for the work and expense.👍

Yeah I don't really know much about the values here, whether they are "good" or not. I mostly just look at the additives :) I would be willing to pay for the NAPA oil analysis just to compare results. Someone will need to point to which kit I should get though. There's a bunch of different ones on NAPA's website ranging from $16 to $85...

EDIT: As someone who is in the science/engineering field, I should probably say that the results here will never match those of the manufacturer unless they all use the same exact testing procedures to get the values as shown. Differences in instrument measurement accuracy and precision are a sure thing and I'm sure each oil company has their own way of measuring values. It's anyone's guess. The values on Mobil's website could be an average from numerous test samples taken over a period of time. Without knowing the exact procedure Mobil 1 uses to determine the values, it's hard for me to say that the results are "wrong". Mobil 1 is a multi-billion dollar company that spends many of those dollars on R&D. Blackstone is definitely not on the same level so I would certainly expect slightly different results.

Last edited:
The two issues are:
1. The spread from 7.8 to 9.5 is significant
2. 9.5 is a 30 grade

If what you're saying was true, we'd see disparities like this all the time between voa, pqia and factory results. I just don't recall that being the case. Could it be a one-off? I guess anything is possible.

Last edited:
I'd go with Polaris. B/S is OK, they can give you a pretty close idea but their numbers at times appear off. Sometimes they are not, but often they are.

I'd go with Polaris. B/S is OK, they can give you a pretty close idea but their numbers at times appear off. Sometimes they are not, but often they are.

Do you have a sample of what one of the reports looks like? What is the cost of 1 test?

I think the cost is comparable.

Back