Mix Dino with Pennzoil Platinum Natural Gas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 4cyl 2.2L Toyota Camry with 206k is in the process of switching over from 5w-30 conventional oil to full synthetic. Right now I'm running Pennzoil Synthetic blend. I don't know how good its "Active Cleansing Agents" are doing but I'm using it at 1500 mile intervals, the last few hundred miles of which I drain 10 oz then add 10 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil + change the filter just to be safe).

Anyway, soon I'll be running what I feel is the best oil other than Amsoil: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with PurePlus (the new version stuff). The problem is that I have some conventional oil I want to use up. So, instead of buying the blend next time, I'm planning to mix my remaining Quaker State conventional with the Ultra Platinum I will start buying. I know mixing them is fine, but does the fact that Pennzoil Platinum is made from natural gas affect anything?

Wow such a complicated situation. Quarts of oil and an engine sump, what to do..?

Blend away. My question is if you think the Pennzoil is the best stuff out there, why would you blend with it. Just buy some more quarts of the dino oil or blended Pennzoil until you have used it up. Then put in your best oil in its unblended state for all of its best qualities.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Why make it simple when we can complicate the heck out of it?
01.gif

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Wow such a complicated situation. Quarts of oil and an engine sump, what to do..?
Hey, it's a "process"!

To the OP:

Oil additive are designed to do nothing but make money. I have never seen any documented evidence that oil additives like MMO are of any benefit. Only thing I have seen is an oil additive quiet up some ticking lifters, but all that did was mask the problem, not fix it.

Dumping synthetic blend every 1500 miles is simply wasting your money.

Since your Camry has 206K, keep doing what you've been doing. If you wish to make the switch to synthetic oil, that's fine. I would use up my conventional stash or give it away.

Originally Posted By: stchman
To the OP:

Oil additive are designed to do nothing but make money. I have never seen any documented evidence that oil additives like MMO are of any benefit. Only thing I have seen is an oil additive quiet up some ticking lifters, but all that did was mask the problem, not fix it.

Dumping synthetic blend every 1500 miles is simply wasting your money.

Since your Camry has 206K, keep doing what you've been doing. If you wish to make the switch to synthetic oil, that's fine. I would use up my conventional stash or give it away.

Good advice!

Just save your old oil if you don't have enough quarts for a full OCI

I wouldn't be mixing anything - but that's just me.

Thank you to those who provided advice without the sarcasm. I'm just asking so I can use up this 2-3 quarts of Quaker State conventional and 2-3 quarts Pennsoil Gold Synthetic Blend. Maybe I'll mix them.

The reason I am doing short intervals for now is because I don't want the cleansers in the synthetic oil to suddenly dislodge anything harmful to the old engine. I might be wasting my time and money but I'd rather be safe than stranded.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tjdean01
Thank you to those who provided advice without the sarcasm. I'm just asking so I can use up this 2-3 quarts of Quaker State conventional and 2-3 quarts Pennsoil Gold Synthetic Blend. Maybe I'll mix them.

The reason I am doing short intervals for now is because I don't want the cleansers in the synthetic oil to suddenly dislodge anything harmful to the old engine. I might be wasting my time and money but I'd rather be safe than stranded.

That a good approach, but I'd say mix the Quaker with whatever Pennzoil you already have, and it should be OK since they are both made by Shell-OPUS. No problem there. And then finally put in the Ultra oil later when you're ready. 3,000 mile change interval on the conventional-blend-mix you have, then 10,000 miles on Ultra should be fine. Use a Fram Ultra oil filter for the best and longest lasting filtration available too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back