Misheard song lyrics

My aunt told me one time the song "Poison Ivy" was on the radio and my cousin was singing at the top of his lungs "Open highway!!" haha!!

“Every time you go away, you take a piece of meat with you”. Correct lyric: “Every time you go away take a piece of me with you” from Paul Young’s ‘Every Time You Go Away’.
-------------------------------
“We built this city on sausage rolls”. Correct lyric: “We built this city on rock ‘n’ roll” from Starship’s ‘We Built This City’.
-------------------------------------
“Saving his life from this warm sausage tea”. Correct lyric: “Spare him his life from this monstrosity” from Queen’s ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’.

-----------------------

“It doesn’t make a difference if we’re naked or not”. Correct lyric: “It doesn’t make a difference if we make it or not” from Bon Jovi’s ‘Livin’ On A Praye

How about "Hotel California?" I used to think one of the lines was, "warm smell of coitus rising up in the air." As a little kid in the 70s I never knew what to make of that one.

Adele's 'Send My Love (To Your New Lover)'

Actual lyrics:

Send my love to your new lover Treat her better We've gotta let go of all of our ghosts We both know we ain't kids no more

I used to hear "Jeans are better" and "gotta let go of all of our clothes." 😆

Passport1, you beat me to it! After almost 60 years of hearing Louie Louie, I still hear “that word” every time I hear that song. All my buddies heard it also....of course we were 12 years old at the time. :eek:

Early 1976 ... C. W. McCall bursts onto the scene with Convoy, creating a new genre of CB songs. After hearing it, my sister asks me what "a short-fuse smacker-bus" is. :unsure:

Who will be the first BITOGer to translate?
LOL I completely forgot about that song! I never misinterpreted it though...the words are a little vague but the "Eleven long-haired friends of Jesus" cued me that they would be in a chartreuse microbus!

Was a Christmas song by some chior I heard when I was young , swore they were singing " Barney google...Barney google...with the googly eyes"

And that one part of the B52's song "Love shack" that know one knows what she is singing/saying....it's "tin roof....rusty"

Last edited:
Was a Christmas song by some chior I heard when I was young , swore they were singing " Barney google...Barney google...with the googly eyes"

And that one part of the B52's song "Love shack" that know one knows what she is singing/saying....it's "tin roof....rusty"
I give up ... what are the real lyrics to the Barney Google Christmas song? 🤔

I give up ... what are the real lyrics to the Barney Google Christmas song? 🤔
OK , took me a bit of research to find it.....

Mormon Tabernacle Choir - Hallelujah Chorus​

When they sang hallelujah I heard Barney Google....hahaha . This is before I was probably 10 years old.

Now , there actually is a song called Barney Google with the googly eyes if you do a search , it was from way back so I don't know if I heard it as well ??

OK , took me a bit of research to find it.....

Mormon Tabernacle Choir - Hallelujah Chorus​

When they sang hallelujah I heard Barney Google....hahaha . This is before I was probably 10 years old.

Now , there actually is a song called Barney Google with the googly eyes if you do a search , it was from way back so I don't know if I heard it as well ??
Nicely played! I'll have to tell my wife, who is a huge fan of Handel's Messiah (in contrast to her uncultured husband).

I believe there was a novelty song about Barney Google back in the day, just as there was one about Alley Oop.

Back