Misheard song lyrics

Yeah I think it was early 80s lol but I still sing it as I didn’t like my daddy anymore 😆
I looked them up - they've been around for a long time, but I completely missed them. I made Jr listen - he classifies them as "Hair-rock-inspired pop rock". You're right - Wiki says this song was from 1981!
The most frequently misunderstood song lyrics I can recall, is from Manfred Mann's "Blinded By The Light".

My Sister STILL thought the lyrics were: "Wrapped up like a douche, a roamer in the night" She sang exactly that a couple years ago when the song came on the radio.

I told her: You do know he's singing "Revved up like a Deuce, another runner in the night". I had to explain what a Deuce Coupe was...

:rolleyes:
I (and my friends back c. 1976) all heard it the same way as your sister.

Early 1976 ... C. W. McCall bursts onto the scene with Convoy, creating a new genre of CB songs. After hearing it, my sister asks me what "a short-fuse smacker-bus" is. :unsure:

Who will be the first BITOGer to translate?

Taylor Swift - Blank Space

What most people heard: “Got a long list of Starbucks lovers”

Actual lyric: “Got a long list of ex-lovers”

The most frequently misunderstood song lyrics I can recall, is from Manfred Mann's "Blinded By The Light".

My Sister STILL thought the lyrics were: "Wrapped up like a douche, a roamer in the night" She sang exactly that a couple years ago when the song came on the radio.

I told her: You do know he's singing "Revved up like a Deuce, another runner in the night". I had to explain what a Deuce Coupe was...

:rolleyes:

You beat me to it! That's the one I was going to bring up.

Another one I thought of just now because it’s on the radio. Is Interstate Love Song by the Stone Temple Pilots goes like “Feeling like a hand in rusted shame” I always thought it was “feeling like I have a mustard stain”

Last edited:
I looked them up - they've been around for a long time, but I completely missed them. I made Jr listen - he classifies them as "Hair-rock-inspired pop rock". You're right - Wiki says this song was from 1981!

I (and my friends back c. 1976) all heard it the same way as your sister.
Me too!

In Grade 10 or 11 biology class, my friend Cam and I were partnered up. We would take turns drawing pictures of pop songs, and the other one had to guess what the song was.

"Puppy Love" was easy. (Little dogs with hearts over them.)

So was "Knock Three Times". (Hand knocking on a door, with three knocks.)

For "No Sugar Tonight", Cam drew someone refusing a lump of sugar in their coffee, with a crescent moon visible in the window. Pretty good!

So then he drew this basketball player jumping up toward the net with a basketball with a big eyeball on it. I didn't have a clue. Cam said it was "One-eyed Jumpshot". I said I didn't know it.

After school we were boarding the school bus, and the driver had an AM radio sitting on the doghouse. Cam goes, "Hey, that's the song! That's One-eyed Jumpshot!"

I recognized it immediately ... as "Bondi Junction" by Peter Foldi, sort of a Canadian Donny Osmond counterpart. (Probably due to Canadian content rules, "Bondi Junction" got a lot of airplay here. I don't know if it ever went anywhere in the US.)

Crystal Gayle's "Don't Take Me Half The Way" sounded like "Don't take me house away", like she was pleading with the bank not to foreclose.

You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille" by Kenny Rodgers.

It really says
… "You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille
With four hungry children and a crop in the field...

But you "hear four hundred children and a crop in the field..." LOL

It was 3 years ago when I first heard the claim that he was complaining of being left with 4 hungry children and not 400 children as I had always heard the song to say.

People are free to make up whatever they want. The bottom line is I’ve listened to that song probably 400 times, and every single time he laments about being left with 400 children!

This 4 hungry kids nonsense is just that - nonsense!

It was 3 years ago when I first heard the claim that he was complaining of being left with 4 hungry children and not 400 children as I had always heard the song to say.

People are free to make up whatever they want. The bottom line is I’ve listened to that song probably 400 times, and every single time he laments about being left with 400 children!

This 4 hungry kids nonsense is just that - nonsense!
Some of those were likely multiple births - twins or triplets.

Some of those were likely multiple births - twins or triplets.
I’m thinking he started out with 400 hungry children started feeding them to each other (clearly a two birds/ one stone approach to the 2 problems), leaving him with only 4 hungry by the time Lucille is confronted

I’m thinking he started out with 400 hungry children started feeding them to each other (clearly a two birds/ one stone approach to the 2 problems), leaving him with only 4 hungry by the time Lucille is confronted
It's possible, too, that his problem in feeding the many offspring was exacerbated by defective footwear: You picked a fine time to leave me, loose heel. 🤔

Back