Misheard song lyrics

And the all time mis-heard lyric...."Sweet Dreams are made of these" by The Eurymics. It is actually "Sweet Dreams are made of THIS," believe it or not!
Sweet dreams are made of Cheese...

My HS GF bought a book that was nothing but misheard lyrics, animated..This one.. holy crow... theirs a ton of books on that subject...
heck.. I've been guilty of so many that I can't even think of them now...
and some of the songs too obscure....
one in particular... the name of the Track should have clued me in.... "Amnesia"

when it gets to the Chorus:
"I'm trying to find who we were
Before the lies and the hurt
So take me back to this time
Amnesia"
instead of Amnesia, I, for years, heard "Can We Try?"
esp the later bits where she repeats "Am-ne-sia" a few times

my frikkin ears...

and Frankly... If there's a "Weird Al" cover, That's what my brain defaults to when i hear the real song....you've NO IDEA, how often i've found my self singing the "Weird Al" version over the real song on the radio, or in store muzak

Last edited:
Nirvana "All Apologies"

I always thought he was singing "Choking on the asses of orangutan."

Like, who would choke on ape butt? Does this single ape have multiple butts? :unsure:

What's even funnier is that I used to hang out with one of the Nirvana band members. I never bothered to ask about this for some reason. LOL
All I hear when I hear that song is "all we are is oreos".

Early 90s. Band by the name of Go West had a song "King of Wishful Thinking".

Lyric in the song is "I'll pretend my ship's not sinking".

DJ came on the radio because someone called into the radio station about obscene lyrics.

He said, "It's the kind that sinks, not the kind that stinks".

You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille" by Kenny Rodgers.

It really says
… "You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille
With four hungry children and a crop in the field...

But you "hear four hundred children and a crop in the field..." LOL

Elton John: "Hold me closer, Tony Danza."

Creedence Clearwater Revival: "There's a bathroom on the right."

Electric Light Orchestra: "Don't bring me down, Bruce."

Beatles: "But if this ever-changing world in which we live in..."
That’s not what ELO says? No joke, I never knew it wasn’t. Any Nirvana song can’t be heard many ways. Someone burned out on Heroin isn’t very clear or exciting.

Elton John "Benny and The Jets": She had electric boobs.
Exactly!!

When the song was first released, I was riding with a couple of my friends when it played on the radio. I asked "What are electric boobs?" My friends laughed at me and told me the correct lyrics. Almost 50 years later, and I still remember that.

The song Unwell by Matchbox 20 goes I’m not crazy I’m just a little unwell. I always thought it was I’m not lazy I’m just crazy.
Several other songs too like that one The Breakup Song by Greg Kihn Band that goes they don’t write em like that anymore. I always thought was I didn’t like my daddy anymore.

Ruby and the Romantics, from "Our Day Will Come" - I always thought they were singing "Our dreams of magic pizzas will always stay ..."

Now that I've suggested these lyrics, it's hard not to hear it this way. 🤔

The song Unwell by Matchbox 20 goes I’m not crazy I’m just a little unwell. I always thought it was I’m not lazy I’m just crazy.
Several other songs too like that one The Breakup Song by Greg Kihn Band that goes they don’t write em like that anymore. I always thought was I didn’t like my daddy anymore.
This was new to me - hadn't heard of the band before. Checked it out on YouTube - my old ears heard "Uh uh uh uh ... uh uh uh, (something something) Daddy no more."

My musical education continues ... I know a lot of obscure '70s stuff, but not too much newer.

The most frequently misunderstood song lyrics I can recall, is from Manfred Mann's "Blinded By The Light".

My Sister STILL thought the lyrics were: "Wrapped up like a douche, a roamer in the night" She sang exactly that a couple years ago when the song came on the radio.

I told her: You do know he's singing "Revved up like a Deuce, another runner in the night". I had to explain what a Deuce Coupe was...

:rolleyes:

This was new to me - hadn't heard of the band before. Checked it out on YouTube - my old ears heard "Uh uh uh uh ... uh uh uh, (something something) Daddy no more."

My musical education continues ... I know a lot of obscure '70s stuff, but not too much newer.
Yeah I think it was early 80s lol but I still sing it as I didn’t like my daddy anymore 😆

Back