milwaukee vs. makita, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree if you have more than a room (or a big room) with power, then easy pie get a corded purpose made gun. The average joe with a single bathroom or kitchen project can save the dollars and do just fine with a cordless, as I have for years.

I am a somewhat serious hobby woodworker.

I've been through DeWalt, PC, and now if I need a new small power tool, I look to Bosch first.

They have excellent quality tools that are outlasting and outpowering anything from Porter-Cable I have bought before.

I'm a corded bigot, as my cordless drills are some old 'egg beater' drills. They work fine for small jobs around the house on wood, plastic, aluminum, etc., most things but steel. I groaned when a former coworker ordered a cordless Milwaukee drill with a keyless chuck for occasional use at work, and when he tried to show me how well it worked both batteries were dead. After charging it, he manged to demonstrate how a bit can spin in the chuck when trying to countersink a hole in some steel. In another situation a friend was helping me out with a project that used some 1/4in hot rolled plate. We did fine until we tried to drill holes in it with his 18 something volt Dewalt cordless drill. Even with new bits his drill wouldn't touch the steel plate, even though he had used it for drilling some steel when working on his house. As a thank you I bought him a small drill press, corded with a keyed chuck, and he said that it worked fine on that plate.

The reason a low torque cordless impact driver has many function. I guess a 12v would be a wiser choice.

This link will explain:

web page

they're not low torque.. [1150in-lbs for my impact (DW054) vs. 450in-lbs for my drill (DW983)]; they just apply it differently. the 14.4v DeWalt is a better buy than the 12v (I've got the 14.4, my bro has the 12v).. there's 13 ft-lbs difference between the two, and in my experiance, the 13 ft-lbs is the difference from *almost* getting that lag bolt in and driving it home. the 18v one isn't a deal at all, it's another $50 more than the 14.4 for a measly 3 more ft-lbs of torque.

there's yet another option.. going down to the local rental place and renting a screwgun for $10 or $15 for the day.. I'm telling ya, cordless tools are NOT the way to hang sheetrock.

Who the heck would try to drill steel plate with a cordless drill??

Renting does sound like a good option.

I just framed and hung a hall door last week. I'll need just over a sheet of rock to cover. Now I seriously think my cordless Makita will do just fine....hey maybe my battery will last the whole job....sheesh...
dunno.gif
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

I drill steel plate, stainless, cast iron, aluminum, etc all the time with my 14.4 makita, works great!
biggthumbcoffe.gif

one big benefit of a corded drywall gun is it's fine depth adjustment. you can get the screwheads just far enough under the surface but not so deep that they break the paper.

yep... actually, I just bought two makita drywall guns... I got the 0-2500 RPM units, as my research seems to show that (a) driving very fast takes some learning... and we're not pros (b) the higher rpm units may not last as long (c) a 2500 rpm unit has more versatility, as its geared more for torque, so you can do decks and whatnot (another job that we may do before too long, and part of the reason why we decided to get these two guns) without burning up clutches, etc.

Though later on in this thread I heard good about bosch and even hitachi, I only looked at them early on, and knew makita and milwaukee as highly rated, whereas I didnt know much about the others... I suppose that if I buy something other than lowest end products, they will be more or less bulletproof for our application one way or another. SO the makita 6823N it is.

I guess corless would have been OK, and granted, were not pros, but we do hae quite a bit of drywall ceiling work to do, and then, as I said, decks, etc. I like cordless for convenience, but I don't trust batteries too much from a tool life cycle (cost) standpoint. Maybe Im short-sighted, and I DO own cordless tools, but I figured for a duty like a drywall gun, corded is the best option. Maybe Ill regret it??? who knows.

Anyway, I (actually my parents, but Ill be ivolved/doing most of the work, and will use them for my projects too) am now the proud owner of two of these:
http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=6823N

I needed a drill for myself, so I actualy bought two (I love shopping sprees!) A makita 1/4" ~2.1 A, and a milwaukee 3/8" HD 7A unit:
http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=6501

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/web...product3_27_40027_-1_284255_281136_189333_362

I have a big hammer drill somewhere, but I figured for regular drilling, these are good. Im young, buying a house, like to tinker, and I figure I cant have too many tools, especially if the price is right!

Thanks everyone!

JMH

Milwaukee is made in America. That's enough for me. I have a *** Dewalt 18V that barely has enough power to put in 50 screws into redwood without changing the battery.

Just bought the 1/2" Magnum corded Milwaukee drill - bores a 2" hole in 3" of wood like it was butter.

And did I mention, Made in America, by Americans, so the money stays in America which helps the American economy. Not the Chinese.

Hilti definately isn't what it used to be.. we've been using their tools for about 25 years. Service used to be phenominal, now it's if it's broke, throw it out and buy a new one. Our TE72 hammer drill did last for 24 years though. we get about 2 years out of our screw guns (not drywall guns) each generation hasn't been quite as good as the one before it, starting with the TKT2000's then the ST18's and the ST1800's we're using now. it's getting to the point these days that Hilti's aren't worth the price premium.

quote:

Pablo wrote:

That Makita screw shooter will be fine. I wish I has one [Smile] How much $?

betcha didn't know that "Screw shooter" is actually the name for milwaukee screw guns, just like their "hole shooter" drills. if JHZR2 paid more than $99-119 he paid too much.

Nope... the drywall guns were $82.75 each, the small drill was $60 and the big milwaukee was $110, I believe.

Im happy, its nice to have some new toys...em... tools to play with.

I got a milwaukee 1/2" electric impact wrench too, the other week... Ive been waiting onthe rubberized impact sockets and other similar stuff to put it to work... the thing is BIG and solid - might not work too well for undercar applications, but I think it will help on the muffler bolts that Ill have to remove soon, as there is plenty of space to stuff like that, lug nut removal, etc.

Hilti has had a bit advertising campaign on billboards around Philadelphia lately... Maybe I never noticed it before, but they are also in the home depots now... I (havent been around much) dont know anbything about them, as theyre not a household name or a name that Ive seen pros in my home using... oh well.

Doug C... I agree, and try to do my part buying American... are you implying that Makita is Chinese??? I thought they were Japanese... I make some some difference between the two (flame suit on), I dont mind buying Japanese stuff if it is regarded as decent stuff at a decent price... I dont buy Hondas because theyre decent stuff at prices that arent decent, but thats a discussion for another day (flame suit off). Tell me that the $$$ I saved on getting makita units which I regarded as professional stuff is NOT because it is made in China...

Thanks all for the insight again, I really appreciate it.

JMH

Hilti used to be a high end tool outfit made in Lichtenstein, that you had to seek out one of their salesman to purchase one of their tools. like a said before, their service used to be incredible, now that they've whored themselves out to Home Depot (I feel the same way about Mongoose and Wal-Mart), their service has gone to complete crap. you can't even get their saleman to call you back unless you want to buy $3000 worth of stuff at a time. at least the local welding supply place started carrying them so I can get parts for my tools.

it's not suprising that your local residential contractor isn't using them, Hilti's focus is much more towards the commercial end of things with specialized tools like a stand up decking gun that can fire 20 nails per minute through B-deck into bar joists in lieu of puddle welding. we use their powder tools (DX350, DX36M), big SDS-MAX hammers (TE-55, and the recently retired TE-72),a smaller SDS-plus hammer (TE-18) and our many screw guns (TKT2000, ST18, ST1800).

quote:

betcha didn't know that "Screw shooter" is actually the name for milwaukee screw guns, just like their "hole shooter" drills.

I did know that, and that's why I borrowed the term
smile.gif
I used to love the Milwaukee paper catalog. Then the net came along.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back