Mercedes 2009 GL 450 Oil

Hey all, I am getting ready to buy a friend's vehicle since she is getting a Tesla. It is a 2009 GL450 with around 95,000 miles. They have been using Mobil 1. I use Amsoil Signature in my 4Runner and Wrangler. Would the Moibil 1 be as good for lets say 8K-10K OCIs? I know Mercedes recommends M1 and I am sure there are a few others I am not aware of but figured I'd ask here before just resorting the Amdoi Euro or M1 Euro formulas. It will see a lot of mountain driving.

Hey all, I am getting ready to buy a friend's vehicle since she is getting a Tesla. It is a 2009 GL450 with around 95,000 miles. They have been using Mobil 1. I use Amsoil Signature in my 4Runner and Wrangler. Would the Moibil 1 be as good for lets say 8K-10K OCIs? I know Mercedes recommends M1 and I am sure there are a few others I am not aware of but figured I'd ask here before just resorting the Amdoi Euro or M1 Euro formulas. It will see a lot of mountain driving.
Standard for that engine is MB 229.5. Usually 0w40 is the standard oil for that M273 engine. Basically anything on the approved list is fine. I think Amsoil only has one fluid on that approved list. Most people on the Mercedes forums use Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol 0w40 but some like their exotic oils. None of that seems to matter though. I have the M272 engine which is basically the V6 engine with two less cylinders than the M273. For the M273, the major issues would be the intake manifold. I would change the oil separator and check the intake manifold to see if the lever for the flaps moves freely. You can use a scanner that does MB specific codes to see if there are any pending intake manifold errors. Don't think it'll show with a basic scanner. Basically you should change out the oil separator and the oil breather cover. When those go bad, oil gets into the intake and gums up the flaps making the lever hard to move and eventually they stick and the intake runners don't open. Once it gums up, the flaps can break causing engine damage. You normally just replace the entire intake which although in the $650 it's several hours to take apart and put back together. Those seem to go in the 80-140k range.

As for the oil change interval, yeah it's pretty standard for it to go 10k. One thing people don't realize is that for that particular engine, oil capacity is 9.5 quarts so it's not the same as going that long on 5 quarts.

This is really valuable information, Wolf359! Thanks so much. I'll look into getting this done soon after I get it. I just realized that I did not post this in the Euro forum, but your information is much appreciated! I'll just stick with the M1 Euro or the Amsoil if I am ordering more Amsoil for my other vehicles and go 10K OCIs.

By the way, my Mac/Safari will not let me go to that bevy.mercedes-benz page due to tits expired certificate so I'll try my another laptop. Can I assume it isn often-used page?

This is really valuable information, Wolf359! Thanks so much. I'll look into getting this done soon after I get it. I just realized that I did not post this in the Euro forum, but your information is much appreciated! I'll just stick with the M1 Euro or the Amsoil if I am ordering more Amsoil for my other vehicles and go 10K OCIs.
I don't know your location, but my 2008 E350 4Matic preferred 5W40, just something to consider if not happy with 0W40

I'm In Colorado so temps generally don't get very cold. That is good to know, and quite honestly, I really don't see 0W40 being any better than 5W40 here.

Grade is virtually irrelevant with Mercedes-Benz approvals. Use whatever you can find that is the least expensive oil that actually carries the required approval.

A friend was ordering some Luqui Moly Molygen 5W40 for his Audi so I had him add 10 liters to that order. I'll get an OEM filter from some dealer here and try that this time. I'll prob get something like Pennzoil or whatever Euro Merc-spec oil next time. I think the Liquid Moly says 5K-7K OCI but it will take me till summertime to get there, easily.

I am in the E class forums and that engine is also in the E550. As others said, lots of people like to try special exotic oils thinking it's better but lots of us just run Mobil 1 or Castrol and it's fine. It doesn't really care too much about oils as long as it's on the approved list. Occasionally you hear of weird engine issues and then it turns out they used regular 10w30 that wasn't on an approved list. But they did other wacky stuff too so it's hard to say. That's why I'd just stick with approved oils, Mobil 1 is what they sell at the dealership although it's 5w40 and it's extra expensive.

As for that site, it normally works all the time, I'd try it again later, maybe next week, not working for me now, their certificate must have just expired.

There's also several youtube videos on doing the maintenance to that engine. The oil separator is reverse threaded so you have to turn it the opposite way to loosen/tighten it. Other items on that engine is the thermostat tends to go early and the tensioner/pulleys go too. If the thermostat goes, I'd replace both pulleys/tensioner/belt at the same time as one of the pulleys has to come off anyway to replace the thermostat. Also check around the oil cooler gaskets for leaks. Then MB is also well known for having bad motor mounts that go early. Mostly because they're liquid filled so it's really smooth and quiet when they're good but you'll feel the vibrations when they go. If you have a leak in the CV boot, be careful with aftermarket CV joints, some are not good. Otherwise have fun with it, been driving my two M272 engines for the last 5-7 years.

Transmission fluid is Shell ATF 134 which you can get a case of at the shell distributor for around $60 for a case of 12 quarts. I haven't priced it lately so it's probably more now with inflation but the dealer always charged $20+ per quart.

Also FCPeuro is a good site to get parts from, lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell. Sometimes with brake parts it makes sense to get it from them, other stuff like Bilstein struts which have a lifetime warranty anyway might be cheaper at a place like rockauto.com.

As long as it's on the Bevo/is approved for the spec. Dealers around the world use more than Mobil 1; Castrol, Shell, Petronas, and who knows what in different parts of Asia.

As long as it's on the Bevo/is approved for the spec. Dealers around the world use more than Mobil 1; Castrol, Shell, Petronas, and who knows what in different parts of Asia.
Yeah once that site gets their certificate back, there's a bunch of Asian oils on there you basically never heard of, but Asia is actually a pretty big market for Mercedes, they build a lot of their cars there due to the laws there. Mobil is just the official oil for Mercedes in the US. Should have a sticker under the hood recommending Mobil.

I've had the M273 engine in one of my cars for some years. On my 2006 there was three choices when resetting the service reminder. 229.1 229.3 or 229.5 oil to be used. When plotting in one of them, different length on the service interval appeared. Longest with 229.5. As 229.5 is not hard to find for a good price, so no need to use anything less. ATF should be a 236.14 for the 7G-tronic.

A friend was ordering some Luqui Moly Molygen 5W40 for his Audi so I had him add 10 liters to that order. I'll get an OEM filter from some dealer here and try that this time. I'll prob get something like Pennzoil or whatever Euro Merc-spec oil next time. I think the Liquid Moly says 5K-7K OCI but it will take me till summertime to get there, easily.
Yep here we go, ask what to use (complete with references in the thread to the Bevo list) and then buy an oil with no approvals whatsoever. Perfect.

You could have gone to Walmart or on Amazon and bought an oil with the proper approval for about $4.40/quart.

Yep here we go, ask what to use (complete with references in the thread to the Bevo list) and then buy an oil with no approvals whatsoever. Perfect.

You could have gone to Walmart or on Amazon and bought an oil with the proper approval for about $4.40/quart.
So this blurb on their site is irrelevant? That seems misleading to me. So these are not approvals but simply their recommendation?

• ACEA A3
  • ACEA B4
  • API SN
  • BMW Longlife-01
  • MB 229.5
  • Porsche A40
  • Renault RN 0700
  • VW 502 00
  • VW 505 00

I can always keep it for the Jeep since it will go up high (9,000-12,000 ft) and is tough on oil when off-roading. Easy enough to buy stuff from an auto shop since avoid Walmart.

So this blurb on their site is irrelevant? That seems misleading to me. So these are not approvals but simply their recommendation?

• ACEA A3
  • ACEA B4
  • API SN
  • BMW Longlife-01
  • MB 229.5
  • Porsche A40
  • Renault RN 0700
  • VW 502 00
  • VW 505 00
If you posted the rest of the blurb:
LIQUI MOLY ALSO RECOMMENDS THIS PRODUCT FOR VEHICLES OR ASSEMBLIES FOR WHICH THE FOLLOWING SPECIFICATIONS OR ORIGINAL PART NUMBERS ARE REQUIRED

Plus Mercedes-Benz approvals are to be worded in a specific way which isn't the way they are doing for this product. It's not misleading at all but you do have to pay attention. ExxonMobil consistently words their PDS in a proper way with no ambiguity, see the PDS for their 0W-40 FS product.

Last edited:
I can always keep it for the Jeep since it will go up high (9,000-12,000 ft) and is tough on oil when off-roading. Easy enough to buy stuff from an auto shop since avoid Walmart.
I'm not sure what the operation altitude has to do with it, but if you are Walmart adverse you can get Castrol 0W-40 from Amazon for the same price. There's literally no reason to pay double for the same approval.

Off-roading in 4Lo at high altitude (steep terrain crawling speeds) where the oxygen is also lower, seems to be very tough on motors/oil. The heat given off is incredible, to where we open windows and crank up the heat to get it out of the bay quicker. You're not moving quickly enough to get airflow and even with the AC off and radiator fan on full-time, the heat keeps rising. Overheating is common on some vehicles so they stop and cool off. I figured that would be worth a try with this Liquid Moly stuff since it is coming in anyway. I may visit a Walmart later at night to avoid the crowds and keep some oil handy. It. gets so darn crowded nowadays that I prefer to avoid it if possible.

So just to sort of make sure, I contacted the place I bought the LM from- ECS Tuning, The Rep said that it was 229.5 Approved. I'm not sure but if I don't have time to research more, I'll just get some Castrol or Mobil as planned and use this LM in the Jeep, during the summer.

So just to sort of make sure, I contacted the place I bought the LM from- ECS Tuning, The Rep said that it was 229.5 Approved. I'm not sure but if I don't have time to research more, I'll just get some Castrol or Mobil as planned and use this LM in the Jeep, during the summer.
Liqui Moly Molygen 5W-40? No it is not. It has no licenses nor approvals.

Last edited:
Back