Mechanic says change oil

As a mechanic myself, I change my oil around 3k miles which is typically when it gets dark. It's normal. I'm not a scientist but going to 5-6k shouldn't hurt anything. But I refuse to go 10K miles as some dealers suggest as I've seen the filters split open before then and I've seen the havoc it's wrecked on many vehicles.

I had an Eldorado (4.6) and it burned oil like crazy and also ended up having the dreaded headbolt issue as well, so I passed it on the next person who actually fixed it up. I heavily recommend changing it every 3K miles, and have the cooling system checked with a fine tooth comb. Radiator, hoses, everything. All plastic, all cheap, and more likely to break.

As a mechanic myself, I change my oil around 3k miles which is typically when it gets dark. It's normal. I'm not a scientist but going to 5-6k shouldn't hurt anything. But I refuse to go 10K miles as some dealers suggest as I've seen the filters split open before then and I've seen the havoc it's wrecked on many vehicles.

I had an Eldorado (4.6) and it burned oil like crazy and also ended up having the dreaded headbolt issue as well, so I passed it on the next person who actually fixed it up. I heavily recommend changing it every 3K miles, and have the cooling system checked with a fine tooth comb. Radiator, hoses, everything. All plastic, all cheap, and more likely to break.
Oh believe me i baby that cooling system and look under the hood weekly. I normally stick to mobil 1 5w 30 extended performance high mileage and the extended performance m1 filter as well.. Yep same 4.6 and it burns oil. Everyone I've talked to that has had one says they do.

Back