McDonald's menu 1972

Hardly ever go to McDonald's. For about the same price, I can go to a small restaurant down the street and get better food, ordered to my specs and made fresh. No old, cold or stale burgers and fries there.

I grew up in a small town. Moved to Des Moines, IA. after graduation for schooling. We hit McDonald's every day for the first week or so, it got old quickly. Did KFC and the others as well. This was 1974 / 1975 and as I recall, a meal was around $2.00

Then we discover a grocery store with a deli. Much better and variety of food, about the same price.
Congratulations. The topic has nothing to do with the quality of the food and could have applied to any restaurant.

Charts like that, especially for countries as large as the US, are so inaccurate. A Big Mac sandwich only costs $3.99 here vs the $5.81 that graph shows. Where does a Big Mac sandwich cost $5.81 (and higher, since that's an "average") ? That suggests Big Macs cost almost $8 somewhere in the US.
Oh yeah, Big mac here is $5.49, probably even more if you do delivery. I bet it's even more in Seattle, has the highest minimum wage in the country. Minimum wage here is $14.25.

Oh yeah, Big mac here is $5.49, probably even more if you do delivery. I bet it's even more in Seattle, has the highest minimum wage in the country. Minimum wage here is $14.25.
I installed the McD app to confirm but already deleted it. Let me check.... Just by rounding though, they say $6 average and they're $4 here, so somewhere Big Macs are $8.

$6.09 - Seattle WA
$5.79 - San Francisco
$5.39 - Chicago
$5.20 - Anchorage AK
$4.99 - Honolulu HI

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I installed the McD app to confirm but already deleted it. Let me check.... Just by rounding though, they say $6 average and they're $4 here, so somewhere Big Macs are $8.

$6.09 - Seattle WA
$5.79 - San Francisco
$5.39 - Chicago
$5.20 - Anchorage AK
$4.99 - Honolulu HI

🤷‍♂️
Might be trickier but I bet the highest prices ones are probably right on the highway, especially toll roads where they have to pay some fee to the local toll road authority or some place like a stadium where there is limited competition.

$6.09 - Seattle WA
$5.79 - San Francisco
$5.39 - Chicago
$5.20 - Anchorage AK
$4.99 - Honolulu HI

🤷‍♂️
Umm, the average of the above numbers is $5.49. You mentioned that the chart said $6.00, but actually it said $5.81. ( understandable round up). So , now it’s $5.49 vs $5.81. I’d say with more data points it’s completly possible that the research company, Statistica, is 100% correct. :)

Enjoy that cheap Big Mac. I know I will. :D

Last edited:
I'm suspicious of that Statistica chart for another reason: the Big Mac price listed in India. Think for a minute about why that might be a problem there. :LOL: Clue: beef patties?

The chart is a modified version of one the British news and financial journal The Economist started over 30 years ago. The point then was to see which currencies might have been overvalued or undervalued. The journal made adjustments for places such as India, which modify the menu because they don't eat beef. Those adjustments were clearly indicated and explained. This chart doesn't indicate any exceptions.

I l-o-v-e coffee ice cream. If McDonald's had ever had a coffee shake back then, I probably would have known about it. See if you remember this: the original McD's Shamrock Shake in the '70s was green, but banana-flavored. I think it's mint-flavored now.

I get these deals all the time and you can also switch over and get two for one etc. Not counting using reward points.

Screenshot_20220501-102008.jpg

Careful there, that can get twisted into "political" talk 😂

In all seriousness though, a $0.65 Big Mac in '72 works out to $4.55 today. I think a Big Mac is around that price.
I think I was making $2.50 and hour back then during the summer. I could by five contemporary lunches with what I was making an hour in 2018.

Right Now you are at a McPick 2 for 2 dollars:

A Double Hamburger and a Small fry - 2.00
A McChicken and an order if Mozzarella sticks - 2.00 = $4.00 for a cheap salty greasy food death.

Housing is out of line expensive. Heating oil and diesel are bit pricey temporarily right now.

I wouldnt call them nasty, but they are inferior.
Chicken nuggets are garbage now too. Taste like a wet sponge
Who decided to use white breast meat only for Health reasons? Wrong.
They were much MUCH tastier with the dark, white and skin and fat all ground together.

And of course the Hot apple pies were once deep fried - The only true reason I went to McD's

I do think McD's Sausage biscuits are good. That is a good scone - I'm 1/2 Scot so I know this by DNA.

The price of food in general is stupid these days! Mid 2000's one of my favorites to get there is what I called a 321. A mcdouble, small fries and a large sweet tea from the dollar menu (when it was actually a dollar for everything!) came out to $3.21 after tax.

Umm, the average of the above numbers is $5.49. You mentioned that the chart said $6.00, but actually it said $5.81. ( understandable round up). So , now it’s $5.49 vs $5.81. I’d say with more data points it’s completly possible that the research company, Statistica, is 100% correct. :)
I still doubt their numbers are correct. The cities I picked were Seattle because Wolf mentioned high minimum wage and then other random cities that I thought might be high, the two in Hawaii and Alaska, for example. And again, a Big Mac here where I live is $3.99.

The price of food in general is stupid these days! Mid 2000's one of my favorites to get there is what I called a 321. A mcdouble, small fries and a large sweet tea from the dollar menu (when it was actually a dollar for everything!) came out to $3.21 after tax.
I remember reading an article about the McDonalds dollar menu and it quoted some franchise owners who hated it but it was mandated by the big corporate cheese. The franchisees said that there was almost no profit from people who would come and only order dollar items.

Double-single animal style. Animal style fries. The best.
For takeout/travel, I'd also suggest "box with lid" over a bag. Keeps it warmer, and much easier to eat out of.

Speaking of ashtrays, I think I still have a couple of the aluminum ones in the junk drawer…holding junk bits.

And in terms of ordering, I've found the window-sized touch kiosks are much more common in other parts of the world than here in the U.S. Makes for a better and faster experience.

Saw some pretty fancy branches as well, where the McCafé is actually a separate coffee counter, not just a brand.

I still doubt their numbers are correct. The cities I picked were Seattle because Wolf mentioned high minimum wage and then other random cities that I thought might be high, the two in Hawaii and Alaska, for example. And again, a Big Mac here where I live is $3.99.
Might also be because there's lots more people in the major cities with high prices than in the middle of nowhere with your low prices.

As for taste, that seems to depend on whether it's fresh or if it's been siting around for a while. Cold fries and nuggets are the worst, but when they're hot out of the fryer, they're not bad. I like how at Burger King you can order the whopper off the broiler which means they make a fresh one just for you, but I don't think you can really do that at McDonalds. They were making the 1/4 pound burgers fresh at one point, but they seem to have stopped doing that.

North Street McDonald's
Middletown CT

Double Cheeseburger (grill order, not on menu)
Large fries
Medium Coke
Total was 86 cents

I was in college, working 2 part-time jobs and driving a VW bug
Order usually delivered in about a minute. Sometimes I splurged and got the apple pie, it was another15 cents. If I remember correctly, regular gas was about 25 cents a gallon. Sounds cheap, but it's about perspective.

Back