MC or Syn for road trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy all first post but have been reader of the board for many years.
Question for all is Ive got a new 012 Fusion 2.5 I-4 and after a 2k break in I will be taking a trip to the midwest and back with all interstate driving and figure around 6to7k total.
Opinions please if MC semisyn will be fine or should I run a full syn just to be safe? Filter will be MC910s.
Thanks.

Even though any approved will be just fine, I will personally use a synthetic given the choice because of the probable high temps encountered on long high speed mountain grades. The synthetic's inherent better performance and shear stability under those conditions sway me in that direction.

Last edited:
MC is not the deal that it used to be.
It is now priced considerably higher than its former value price.
If you want to use syn, pick up some FAR QSUD.
Either oil would work just fine in your car, and a long raod trip is pretty easy on the oil.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
MC is not the deal that it used to be.
It is now priced considerably higher than its former value price

+1. What's it up to now, $17.50? At that price I'd be inclined to dig out the additional 3 bucks and get some QSUD, then run that oil an extra 2-3k miles. MC would be just fine, though.

IMO....since the car is still in the break-in mode, I'd run some PYB in 5w-20 or the spec that your car calls for on this nice long trip. I'd also bring along a spare quart....just in case you need to top off.

Just my opinion......

OTOH, what oil is the deal that it used to be?
I'd also be inclined to pony up another few bucks and buy QSUD.

Soon after picking up the Fusion I went to WM and picked up a jug of QSUD for $20 and change with plans of running it on the trip.After getting it home I looked at it and its GF-4 SM which does not meet the specs for the car. Thats OK since I can use it in the wifes 04 Escape. Thinking that if a go with a syn. would use Pennz.Plat.which Ive used before and like, and Its GF-5 SN.Here a jug of MC goes for $18 and change,Pennz.Plat $24 and change. I know the MC is good stuff but always looking for something better.
Please keep the opinions comming.

I love MC, but as others have said, the price is being driven up. I shelled out the extra four bucks for QSUD, which is going in next week.

On the other hand, I can get MC for dirt cheap, because my uncle works for Ford, I just souldn't make the trip this time.

I was in a rush for 1200 miles driving, 85-90mph some time 100+ mph only stop for gas, my brother and I take turn driving, we cross the california hot desert, sunset to sunrise situation, with mobil 1 0w40. When we made home, next morning I check oil, still full and gold color. IMO any brand name oil will do, but I preferd a synthetic, and have a little good feeling that is synthetic. good luck and having a wonderful trip

Last edited:
M1 0-20 works great in mine. After spending 25Gs for a car I doubt saving a buck or two for oil is of much importance to you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back