MC FL-500S, 6,000 miles TORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I’d strongly advise against running 5/20 in a 3.5EB.

Filter looks pretty well shagged... Thanks for the C&P.

I called him and he's gonna stop tomorrow and I'll use some PEAK 5w30 in it. Told him we will do 4K oci's

Well Motorcraft is not immune, but some part numbers have still looked to be reliable performers. I would still run (and do) an FL-910s, 400s or FL-1A without worry. At least until I see different.

Thanks for the cut and post!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Well Motorcraft is not immune, but some part numbers have still looked to be reliable performers. I would still run (and do) an FL-910s, 400s or FL-1A without worry. At least until I see different.

Thanks for the cut and post!

Thanks KCJEEP and glad I took your advice and ran a FL-400S as I read a bunch of your older c&p on Motorcraft
smile.gif

So is this the filter that came with the truck when he bought it? That sure looks a lot more than 6,000 miles on the filter. Guess I'm wondering if the oil had 6,000 miles and the filter was running longer.

Originally Posted By: car51
When he bought it, it had sticker on windshield and yeah I'd say 6k in oil and filter

Okay, thanks...wow, ugly. Now I really want to cut my filter when I change my oil

I called him and he's gonna stop tomorrow and I'll use some PEAK 5w30 in it. Told him we will do 4K oci's

Stand up act! Thanks for the C & P! I think I'm going to avoid the MC filter for the Expy. After seeing this post, several more, and even my own, I'm not chancing it.

Hey Adam thanks for the post...well I'm over motorcraft filters for good. Purolator and ford can pound sand with these,I'm done.

Originally Posted By: Delta

Stand up act! Thanks for the C & P! I think I'm going to avoid the MC filter for the Expy. After seeing this post, several more, and even my own, I'm not chancing it.

Just got done putting the PEAK 5w30 in as nice out today
smile.gif

Lucky. We're getting hit with an arctic cold front. High of today will be 28F and a low of 21.
happy2.gif

Should clear up in a few days.

This filter come off a truck bought used and the only evidence of it not being on the truck for years is the windshield sticker? For all thats known the previous owner could have been a Lucas fanboy and had the 150W in the crankcase.

I wouldn't run any Purolator produced oil filter beyond 3k miles. They seem to tear beyond that.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
This filter come off a truck bought used and the only evidence of it not being on the truck for years is the windshield sticker? For all thats known the previous owner could have been a Lucas fanboy and had the 150W in the crankcase.

The oil change on sticker was done in October 2016 FYI with MC Blend 5w30
smile.gif

There are reports of 2011 and 2012 EB’s with engine issues particularly if flashed... I believe the 2013 got revised turbo chargers and perhaps engine internals (it has been a wile since I read about it. )

I’d probably run at least a blend for about 5,000 miles the IOLM will probably try to run it closer to 10,000. If possible I would try to make sure it hasn’t been tuned and try to get if flashed back to stock if it has...
49.gif

Wrap that filter in paper towels and lets have a look with it dried out. The date code on my last on was faint, but the camera actually brought it out a bit...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
There are reports of 2011 and 2012 EB’s with engine issues particularly if flashed... I believe the 2013 got revised turbo chargers and perhaps engine internals (it has been a wile since I read about it. )

I’d probably run at least a blend for about 5,000 miles the IOLM will probably try to run it closer to 10,000. If possible I would try to make sure it hasn’t been tuned and try to get if flashed back to stock if it has...
49.gif

Wrap that filter in paper towels and lets have a look with it dried out. The date code on my last on was faint, but the camera actually brought it out a bit...

Thanks for this info sir. Date code wasn't visible as covered in dirt and road salt etc

could that just be the seam where the ends of the media are wrapped around and glued together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back