Mazda6 burning through 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Mazda 6 2.3L with 145k miles. I've been running Mobil 1 5w-30 since new and it doesn't burn a single drop of oil. I've never changed the PCV valve on the car either. OCI on this car is every 80k miles or once a year (which ever comes first). The PCV valve on this engine is located on the bottom and behind the intake manifold. It is a royal pain in the butt to access as some of the screws to remove the intake manifold are difficult to access.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4202496/1

Here is a photo of the car with the valve cover removed.

I would recommend you move to a higher weight oil (10w-30) and change out the PCV valve to see if it helps/eliminate oil burn.

-ttvr4

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ttvr4
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
You did mean 8K rather than 80K right?

8k, not 80k!

-ttvr4

That's what happens when they time out your edit to quickly.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Fry it how? 1 quart per 1500 miles is less than what many manufacturers deem acceptable for warranty repairs. I'm not saying it is desirable but what evidence is there that it is damaging to the the converter?

And if you wanted a thicker oil than 5W-30 wouldn't you go to a 40 grade?

It's definitely not helping anything though is it?
The engine probably should've had 10W-30 from the beginning.

Here's what Scotty has to say about it:

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
You'll fry the catalytic converter if you keep burning oil like that. 5W-30 isn't much of a jump. Go 10W-30.

You'd think so, but 1998-2001 Corolla's and Saturn 1.9's beg otherwise. They'll drink oil like there is no tomorrow yet keep passing smog. It seems that consumption has to get very high to ruin a cat.

I'd change the PCV valve and call it a day. With those kinds of miles it sounds like it is not a big cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back