Honda K24 recommendations

Come here often for the knowledge on this board. Did a search and I think I know what direction I am leaning, but here's my dilemna:

Bought a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe with 110,000 miles and looks well taken care of. Carfax shows regular oil changes, most at about 5k intervals. I knew there was a chance that the K24 engine might consume oil due to the low tension rings. My girlfriend's Honda ('03 Sedan) has 185k on the clock and it doesn't use much at all, maybe a half quart in 5,000 miles. Very acceptable, so after driving the '08 and looking it over, it showed no outward signs that it was an oil burner. I changed the PCV valve right away, with a Honda OEM part as I don't think it had probably been done.

Fast forward, I have about 650 miles on the clock. I drive 40 miles to work, 30 on the interstate, 10 in town. The oil level is down about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way off of full, it was on the full line when I changed the PCV. So I am guessing that it consumes oil at a rate of a quart in 1,500 to 2,000 miles. Not bad but hopefully can be made better. I am going to assume it's due to the zero tension oil control rings. The car does not smoke during driving or startup. My son followed me home when I bought it and I had him watch the whole 90 miles and he said it never smoked once.

After scouring this site for the last day or so, seems two options are the best. The first, the Valvoline Premium Blue Restore, seems to be good stuff but hard to get. The second, Kreen, looks like it might be just as good. My issue is, I don't know if I am comfortable adding this to the crankcase. No issue with me adding to the fuel. So I guess I want opinions. The car is super clean and low miles for the year. Bought it to take to work as it's nearly an 80 mile round trip and it will almost pay for itself compared to driving my other vehicle (06 4Runner with V8).

So if it were you, would you try to buy four quarts of Kreen and just use in the fuel tank to gradually reduce and eliminate carbon on the rings, or would you be comfortable adding a quart in the oil when it eventually gets a quart low and also adding in the fuel? If adding to the oil, how long do I drive it with the Kreen in it before an oil change?

Also, what oil would you use after the oil change assuming the Kreen cleans out most of the carbon buildup on the rings?

Advice is much appreciated.

I had a 2009 Accord for many years. The car regularly saw Rotella T6 5W-40, T6 0W-40 and even at times some 15W-40 in the dog days of summer.

Seemed to really help slow the consumption to a respectable quart over 3k miles.

Engine didn't care one bit and if anything it liked it. Perhaps give it a try.

I drove mine hard and it always took a licking and kept on ticking (in a good way :)).

Come here often for the knowledge on this board. Did a search and I think I know what direction I am leaning, but here's my dilemna:

Bought a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe with 110,000 miles and looks well taken care of. Carfax shows regular oil changes, most at about 5k intervals. I knew there was a chance that the K24 engine might consume oil due to the low tension rings. My girlfriend's Honda ('03 Sedan) has 185k on the clock and it doesn't use much at all, maybe a half quart in 5,000 miles. Very acceptable, so after driving the '08 and looking it over, it showed no outward signs that it was an oil burner. I changed the PCV valve right away, with a Honda OEM part as I don't think it had probably been done.

Fast forward, I have about 650 miles on the clock. I drive 40 miles to work, 30 on the interstate, 10 in town. The oil level is down about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way off of full, it was on the full line when I changed the PCV. So I am guessing that it consumes oil at a rate of a quart in 1,500 to 2,000 miles. Not bad but hopefully can be made better. I am going to assume it's due to the zero tension oil control rings. The car does not smoke during driving or startup. My son followed me home when I bought it and I had him watch the whole 90 miles and he said it never smoked once.

After scouring this site for the last day or so, seems two options are the best. The first, the Valvoline Premium Blue Restore, seems to be good stuff but hard to get. The second, Kreen, looks like it might be just as good. My issue is, I don't know if I am comfortable adding this to the crankcase. No issue with me adding to the fuel. So I guess I want opinions. The car is super clean and low miles for the year. Bought it to take to work as it's nearly an 80 mile round trip and it will almost pay for itself compared to driving my other vehicle (06 4Runner with V8).

So if it were you, would you try to buy four quarts of Kreen and just use in the fuel tank to gradually reduce and eliminate carbon on the rings, or would you be comfortable adding a quart in the oil when it eventually gets a quart low and also adding in the fuel? If adding to the oil, how long do I drive it with the Kreen in it before an oil change?

Also, what oil would you use after the oil change assuming the Kreen cleans out most of the carbon buildup on the rings?

Advice is much appreciated.
M1 10w30 HM

I don't think adding it to the fuel would do much for it. Seems odd though, my '08 CR-V never had any trouble with oil consumption. I don't know much about Kreen, but my wife's oil burning Equinox 2.4 was significantly improved with a treatment of BG EPR 109, which seemed to have cleaned up a lot of crud from the engine. Oil consumption went way down after that. Usually ran Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 (yes, 5W-30) in my K24, I guess that's been replaced with Valvoline full synthetic.

I know nothing about additives but Honda specifies oil from 0W-20 to 10W-40 in that engine across the globe.

I would start with a good high mileage synthetic like M1, Valvoline, etc.
I am guessing it is warm and summer there, a 5w30 or even 10w30 would work well.
I like M1 for its cleaning ability.

There has been a lot of talk about High Performance Lubricants products on here lately regarding their cleaning ability. Maybe look into that? I've owned a 2012 Accord with the K24 for 7 years now, it has been a great engine. Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 is what I used for 6 years before switching to Mobil 1 / Mobil 1 EP 0w20 for the past two oil changes.

We run a k24 300hp n/a trackday engine on shell/penzoil 5w40.
But all in all these engines are not really picky on oil/viscosity and like most hondas are known to consume some oil whichs is perfectly fine.

Thanks for the oil recommendations. So you guys would wait on using the Kreen and just run a good cleaning oil first? M1 HM seems to be the preferred oil for that? I have no idea what is in there right now. Dealer had a fresh oil change when I bought it but he didn't know what oil was used.

Thanks for the oil recommendations. So you guys would wait on using the Kreen and just run a good cleaning oil first? M1 HM seems to be the preferred oil for that? I have no idea what is in there right now. Dealer had a fresh oil change when I bought it but he didn't know what oil was used.
I don’t think there will be much to clean. The rings just let the motor consume oil. I would doubt they’re stuck. But it sure wouldn’t hurt.

'08 CR-V with 278,000 miles. 5W-20 or 0W-20 all its life during all 4 seasons. It does consume about a quart during a 5000 mile OCI.

Back