Mazda skyactiv specific oil filters

How do you know the ADBV isn't built into the engine? You have a technical source link to the oiling system design?

Of course the end caps design isn't going to cauae problems as long as the seal out dirty oil.

I’m not sure how you came up with that question.

I’m not sure how you came up with that question.
It's a simple question ... does that engine have the ADBV built into the engine? If so, then that could be why the OEM filter doesn't have an ADBV ... pretty simple logic.

It's a simple question ... does that engine have the ADBV built into the engine? If so, then that could be why the OEM filter doesn't have an ADBV ... pretty simple logic.

I have not seen nor read anything that indicates the possibility of this.

Yes the ABDV would face up if the Mazda filter had one. Oil doesn't leak up!
It's called an anti-drain back valve, not an anti-drain up valve, lol. As mentioned earlier, there is oil above the filter in the engine galleries that can potentially drain down through the filter.

I have a 2019 CX 5 with the 2.5L Turbo engine. I really, really would like to run a top quality oil filter like a Fram Ultra, preferably slightly oversize and only change it every other oil change. I currently use Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 which is a very robust oil and change it every 5000 miles. A Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 filter is certainly capable of going 10,000 miles. I used them on my Nissan 370Z with Redline oil and only changed the filter every other oil change and had excellent Blackstone reports.

However, I remain unconvinced that using anything other than the Mazda OEM oil filter is a good idea.

I have a 2019 CX 5 with the 2.5L Turbo engine. I really, really would like to run a top quality oil filter like a Fram Ultra, preferably slightly oversize and only change it every other oil change. I currently use Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 which is a very robust oil and change it every 5000 miles. A Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 filter is certainly capable of going 10,000 miles. I used them on my Nissan 370Z with Redline oil and only changed the filter every other oil change and had excellent Blackstone reports.

However, I remain unconvinced that using anything other than the Mazda OEM oil filter is a good idea.
Does Fram specify an Ultra for that engine?

XG6607

I have used them on Mazda 2.5T.
Then the XG7317 would be the larger version of the XG6607 if the mount area allows for a longer filter. The 6607 and 7317 are essentially the same diameter.

Yea I think that’s too long unless you leave the panel off. Not sure what the added size would bring as a benefit.
It was brought up because of a comment made in post #47: "I have a 2019 CX 5 with the 2.5L Turbo engine. I really, really would like to run a top quality oil filter like a Fram Ultra, preferably slightly oversize and only change it every other oil change."

I know that a Mobil 1 # 108 and the slightly longer #110 will fit. My thoughts on going with a slightly oversize filter are that they would provide a bit more oil capacity and more filtering area. Although I have never seen laboratory testing to prove that is meaningful.
I used to run the oversize Mobil 1 #110 filters on my Infiniti G35 and also Nissan 370Z. Maybe just for peace of mind. They were the same cost as the standard size.

I know that a Mobil 1 # 108 and the slightly longer #110 will fit. My thoughts on going with a slightly oversize filter are that they would provide a bit more oil capacity and more filtering area. Although I have never seen laboratory testing to prove that is meaningful.
I used to run the oversize Mobil 1 #110 filters on my Infiniti G35 and also Nissan 370Z. Maybe just for peace of mind. They were the same cost as the standard size.

I wonder how much more oil capacity you will gain? A quarter of a cup?

Skyactive high flow oilfilter

Attachments

• E7654D29-E47A-4A04-811A-619E42520B99.jpeg
    E7654D29-E47A-4A04-811A-619E42520B99.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 5A23A81A-C4E0-4FAC-B62A-CF5CADD22282.jpeg
    5A23A81A-C4E0-4FAC-B62A-CF5CADD22282.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 207
Interesting is right. About the only specifications that I have found for a premium oil filter like a Mobil 1 are filtration efficiency and bypass valve PSI measurements.

What exactly constitutes a "high flow" filter in measurable terms ? We don't know what the correct Mazda filter flow measurement is nor what the Mobil 1 filter flow measurement is. Mazda's caution not to use aftermarket filters may be just because they want all the business, or because they don't know what aftermarket filters flow measurements are. Maybe a cheap $3.99 orange Fram filter has poor flow characteristics while their Ultra filter exceeds Mazda's recommended filter. We just don't know.

I'd be curious to see the internal construction difference(s) between the "high flow" Mazda filter and the other Mazda not recommended from whatever source. I suppose Mazda can do that for their filters, but not for other brands.

I say that because if Mazda "requires" use of a certain filter only, i.e., the "high flow" OF, then Mazda has to pay for it. That's part of the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Guaranteed Mazda not paying for an oil filter for anyone.

Personally, count 'me' as skeptical about the "high flow" oil filter. 'To me' reads like something to get owners to buy the specific Mazda OEM oil filter only. My.02

Back