Mazda skyactiv specific oil filters

I recently posted my first oil change on the CX-5 in a Mazda forum. I immediately was flamed for using a Purolator Boss filter. Internet experts warned me that this oil filter could starve the engine of oil causing a catastrophic failure. One use even blamed a lifter failing on their use of aftermarket filters.

Most users claimed that the use of an ADBV when not required by the manufacturer was the cause of the oil restriction and subsequent failures. Some also pointed to a TSB stating that the Skyactiv engines required a unique filter and not to use the Mazda filters that were designed for pre-skyactiv engines.

I truly believe the use of an ADBV when not required won't cause any issues and believe the feverish insistence on using an OEM filter to be nonsensical conjecture. What do the folks of BITOG think of this? Am I wrong in using the aftermarket filter?

There are others here that use the Fram or Wix branded filters among others with no issues. Personally I use the Mazda filters. They are well built and competitively priced.
I had the Mazda OEM filters on order but wanted to get the first change done, so bought the Purolator locally.

My understanding is that the filter is more critical on the turbocharged Skyactiv vehicles. I've never used anything but the OEM filter on our CX-9.

ADBV only works in one direction. A positive displacement oil pump won't even be bothered by it, because it poses no restriction to oil flow. A person would have to know the true micron rating, square inches of media and flow of a certain filter media to say if a oil filter is more OR less restrictive than the factory spec'd oil filter.

From here:

The Purolator Boss does not have restrictive media ... none of them in the test below really do. Look at the delta-p when the fitters aren't really loaded much with debris at the beginning of the test - and this is with a pretty high flow rate of simulated hot oil viscosity. People can read more of the beginning of the thread to get more details on the testing performed by the ISO certified lab.

They all fall between 5 and 9 PSI of pressure drop. As mentioned above, the ADBV is basically invisible to the pump, and the pump is positive displacement anyway. The oil filter is typically only about 1/15th the resistance of the entire oiling system. All the journal bearings cause the biggest oil flow resistance.

1647674358808.png

Here's more flow resistance data from the same thread:

Last edited:
My understanding is that the filter is more critical on the turbocharged Skyactiv vehicles. I've never used anything but the OEM filter on our CX-9.

Yea but Mazda released that TSB warning about the wrong oil filter being used well before they introduced boosted engines into their lineup.

If I remember correctly it was to warn the dealership not to use the oil filter from the 1.5L Mazda 2 on the Mazda 3 & 6’s engine…?

Plus why would WIX go out of their way to make a unique Skyactiv specific oil filter if it doesn’t matter much because the difference is minuscule? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Filters that I have identified that are Skyactiv (no ABDV) specific:

WIX 57002 / NAPA Gold 7002
FULL 2-OMD007 (NAPA Altrom ATM 2OMD007)
MicroGard MGL57002 (*Rated for 5000 mi)

I haven't had them pull the part, but I am assuming that the NAPA ProSelect 27002 also doesn't have an ADBV and this is the MicroGard equivalent.

Some have listed some CarQuest filters as well.

The turbo charged skyactiv engines have a unique filter according to Mazda part numbers. I've used Mobil 1 filters on a skyactiv 2.0 with no issue. A little silicone adbv flap causing restriction is hogwash. If I had the turbo I'd probably use OEM, but after market filters have cross referenced parts. None will make your engine explode, regardless.

Looking at oil filter adapters and how things go south if an oring goes bad in them, I would always want an adbv. Unless Mazda has an internal adbv, what keeps the oil galleries from draining down through the filter?

I just called the Mazda dealer that sold me oil filters for my 2022 CX-5 turbo. In changing the oil today, the filter I removed had a different number (PY8W-14-302) on it than the one sold me. The dealer says the one sent, 1WPY-14-302, is the proper filter for the turbo, and has replaced the other number. They have another oil filter number for the non-turbo.

I am still confused that when I added 5 quarts of Mobil 1, 5-30, I am still reading about a quart low on the dipstick. Dry fill is supposedly 6.1 qt, but with filter replacement, it should be about 5.1 qt. I had it jacked up to the rear, and let it drip for awhile, but not sure if I could get that much oil out. I will monitor.

Ralph

I am still confused that when I added 5 quarts of Mobil 1, 5-30, I am still reading about a quart low on the dipstick. Dry fill is supposedly 6.1 qt, but with filter replacement, it should be about 5.1 qt. I had it jacked up to the rear, and let it drip for awhile, but not sure if I could get that much oil out. I will monitor.

Ralph
Bet it took more oil than the manual says because you jacked it up and drained it longer. I've seen the same thing on a couple of cars I have.

I'm using an oversize Fram 7317. Fits just fine.
The two Mazda filters look identical except for country of origin.
Seen them cut apart and even the filter media looks identical.

My 2¢

"Internet experts", "catastophic failure" :ROFLMAO:. Advice and claims read most like a huge pile of bovine excrement.

To the specific 'claim' that having an adbv where deleted in the Mazda OE/OEM, would be restrictive, wrong. Adbv is just a one way check valve, having one where not on OE, hurts nothing. No doubt, it does save the OF manufacturers money that don't include one, or don't have to. That would include the aftermarket OF manufacturers that just follow the adbv delete on there equivalent applications.

So first two paragraphs in OP I'm going to call, Tripe. Agree with conclusions in last paragraph.

Last edited:
"Internet experts", "catastophic failure" :ROFLMAO:. Advice and claims read most like a huge pile of bovine excrement.

To the specific 'claim' that having an adbv where deleted in the Mazda OE/OEM, would be restrictive, wrong. Adbv is just a one way check valve, having one where not on OE, hurts nothing. No doubt, it does save the OF manufacturers money that don't include one, or don't have to. That would include the aftermarket OF manufacturers that just follow the adbv delete on there equivalent applications.

So first two paragraphs in OP I'm going to call, Tripe. Agree with conclusions in last paragraph.
Plus describing in technical terms why one particular oil filter may be less desirable than another is not being “flamed” unless your objective is brand rather than facts.

The lack of ADBV is the least of anyone's worries. There are no metal end caps on that media. And we all know that without metal end caps, the filter will fail within 10 miles and the engine will explode. Or so we're told when the can is orange .... :rolleyes:

Seriously, though I don't understand why the ADBV is removed from the Mazda filter, but it hasn't been a problem on my 2.0L MX-5 using TGs since it's second oil change. And that little engine gets wrung out hard, a lot. I don't know why the turbo engines need this ADBV removed. Or did it occur to anyone that removal was a cost savings, and the ADBV wasn't needed????? Stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
The lack of ADBV is the least of anyone's worries. There are no metal end caps on that media. And we all know that without metal end caps, the filter will fail within 10 miles and the engine will explode. Or so we're told when the can is orange .... :rolleyes:

There is not even a cardboard/fiberboard end cap. It’s a very thin plastic type material just around the inner edge and down the center a little ways.

The horror!

Back