Wrong Filter on Mazda Skyactiv - Need Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day, everyone.

Been a long-time reader of the forums, top notch knowledge gathered here, so decided to ask the community for help regarding an issue that's been bothering me.

I own a 2016 Mazda 6 with the 2.5L Skyactiv engine. So far I have done 4 oil changes - at 1,000 km, 5,000 km, 10,000 km and now at 14,000 km. The gasoline here in Armenia is pretty bad quality, so Mazda recommends more frequent oil changes.

I've always used Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30, which is a decent synthetic oil, but never paid attention to the oil filter as the dealer assured they are using original filters.

You may notice an irregularity with the 14,000 km oil change, that's because I lifted the car and noticed they have used the Mazda JEY0-14-302-9A filter, which is designed for older Mazdas, such as the 626.

I immediately went for an early oil change and they installed PE01-14-302B-9A, which is one of the correct ones for Skyactiv.

Looking back at the invoices, they have installed the wrong filter at the 1,000 km and 10,000 km oil changes, still trying to find the papers for the 5,000 km oil change.

They explained that whenever the correct filter is out of stock, they use JEY0-14-302-9A and never had a problem.

I was furious of course, but I'm more concerned whether the wrong filter used for possibly 13,000 km might have caused any damage to the engine.

Please chime in and let me know, I really hope it's not a big deal but don't know enough to know.

Originally Posted by blkvzgo
They explained that whenever the correct filter is out of stock, they use JEY0-14-302-9A and never had a problem.

I take it this is an Mazda dealership doing the work. If so, seems they wouldn't substitute a filter without knowing it would be OK. But maybe not. Call their parts department and ask them what the difference is between those two filters.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I take it this is an Mazda dealership doing the work. If so, seems they wouldn't substitute a filter without knowing it would be OK. But maybe not. Call their parts department and ask them what the difference is between those two filters.

It is the only Mazda dealer in the country, but their parts department is one guy who only knows the two filters have the same thread, no idea of their specifications, I had to explain to him that the internals may be different even though you can screw on one in the place of the other.

It is the only Mazda dealer in the country, but their parts department is one guy who only knows the two filters have the same thread, no idea of their specifications, I had to explain to him that the internals may be different even though you can screw on one in the place of the other.

Yeah, sounds like he doesn't know much about oil filters.

JEY0-14-302-9A Is Fram 7317,

PE01-14-302B-9A Is Fram 6607,

Same base, same bypass pressure...
The JEY0-14-302-9A is just a little longer...

My car uses the 6607, I put a 7317 on it myself...

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
JEY0-14-302-9A Is Fram 7317,

PE01-14-302B-9A Is Fram 6607,

Same base, same bypass pressure...
The JEY0-14-302-9A is just a little longer...

My car uses the 6607, I put a 7317 on it myself...

Are Fram specs identical to the OEM filters' specs though? I know the base will be, but what about the bypass pressure?

Also, wouldn't JEY0-14-302-9A be listed as compatible with the Skyactiv engines if it really were that similar?

I just checked at the MANN website, couldn't search by the filter codes but searched by the compatible models instead.

I think this is MANN's alternative to JEY0-14-302-9A, the bypass valve pressure is 1 bar and it has an anti-drain back valve.

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER%20Katalog%20Europa/Vehicles/CARS%20%2B%20TRANSPORTERS/MAZDA/3%20(BK)/1.6%20(T3305)/Oil%20Filter/W%2067~1

This should be the alternative to PE01-14-302B-9A, as it only lists Skyactiv models as compatible. The bypass pressure is 0.8 bar and it has no anti-drain back valve.

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER%20Katalog%20Europa/Vehicles/CARS%20%2B%20TRANSPORTERS/MAZDA/6%20(GJ)/2.5%20Skyactiv-G%20(T219724)/Oil%20Filter/W%206018

People do it every day. I wouldn't worry about it. My mazda dealer had been putting the wrong oil in my car since day one on my old Mazda 3. I didnt notice because I never looked at the receipt. When I got rid of the car I went through the receipts and noticed. I change my own oil now. I dont have time to wait for them to change the oil and do it wrong anyway.

Yep, this is not really an issue. Not enough difference to worry about.

Many quick lube places will stock only the 6607 equivalent and use it when the car calls for the 7317 filter.

These filters, besides being used in Mazdas are used in Hondas, Nissans, Kia and Hyundai to name a few. Maybe even Mitsubishi.

Seems to be a common Asian car filter.

Use either without worry.

Yep they have the same specs except one is a little longer. My Infiniti calls for the shorter Nissan version filter but I run the longer Honda version. Most cars

In the US at least, ,the two filters are different. The filter for the skyactiv motors I believe has a 22 psi bypass where the older fram 6607 equivalent filter is 14 psi. Whether this makes much difference or not, I am unsure.

Guys, if the MANN specs match to the OEM specs, here is what I gather.

The JEY0-14-302-9A equivalent is the older filter for non-Skyactiv engines. It has a bypass valve pressure of around 14 - 15 PSI and it has an ADBV.

The PE01-14-302B-9A equivalent is one of the models used for Skyactiv engines. Bypass valve pressure is lower at 11 - 12 PSI and it does not have an ADBV.

So the pressure differential is 3 PSI and the Skyactiv filters do not have an anti-drainback valve, probably because they're bottom-mounted, i.e. you screw it on from the bottom side of the engine.

I just gathered all the paperwork and found out that the incorrect filter was used at 3 oil changes, meaning 13,000 km in total, basically all of the car's life.

Do you all believe the higher bypass pressure and the presence of the ADBV on the incorrect filters would not have caused any damange to the engine, such as oil starvation?

A difference of 3 PSI in the bypass valve setting isn't going to hurt anything.

Just because a MANN cross reference showing one not having an ADBV may or may not mean the OEM also doesn't have one. Have you looked at both with your own eyes?

Both of the Fram cross referenced filters have the ADBV as pointed out by mattwithcats.

Try a Motor Craft FL910S. I have used them for years with great success in my Ford 2.0 and now my Ford 2.5 at 10K OCIs.

Originally Posted by javacontour
Yep, this is not really an issue. Not enough difference to worry about.

Many quick lube places will stock only the 6607 equivalent and use it when the car calls for the 7317 filter.

These filters, besides being used in Mazdas are used in Hondas, Nissans, Kia and Hyundai to name a few. Maybe even Mitsubishi.

Seems to be a common Asian car filter.

Use either without worry.

^^^^^

Very good post here.

Just because a MANN cross reference showing one not having an ADBV may or may not mean the OEM also doesn't have one. Have you looked at both with your own eyes?

Both of the Fram cross referenced filters have the ADBV as pointed out by mattwithcats.

I haven't cut open the filters but I have read in numerous forums that the OEM Skyactiv filters do not have an ADBV and have a specific bypass pressure.

The MANN filter for the older Mazdas lists compatibility with numerous other makes and models, while the MANN Skyactiv filter only lists compatibility with newer Mazdas with Skyactiv-G engines, so I think they aimed to match the OEM filter if they went to the trouble to design a new filter just for these models.

Would using a filter with ADBV where it is not needed hurt anything, considering on Skyactiv engines the filter is mounted from the bottom?

I haven't cut open the filters but I have read in numerous forums that the OEM Skyactiv filters do not have an ADBV and have a specific bypass pressure.

The MANN filter for the older Mazdas lists compatibility with numerous other makes and models, while the MANN Skyactiv filter only lists compatibility with newer Mazdas with Skyactiv-G engines, so I think they aimed to match the OEM filter if they went to the trouble to design a new filter just for these models.

Would using a filter with ADBV where it is not needed hurt anything, considering on Skyactiv engines the filter is mounted from the bottom?

No. It will not hurt a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back