Mazda Oil Filters and Synthetic Oil

Mazda 2.5L Skyactiv filters
1WPE-14-302 (made in Thailand)
PE01-14-302A-MV (Mazda Value line made in Mexico)

Mazda 2.5L Skyactiv Turbo filter
1WPY-14-302 (made in Thailand)

Is the Idemitsu 0w20 oil that dealers are supposed to use the high-moly (Zepro) or their regular 0w20 synthetic?

How many of you Mazda owners have ran the over sized PH7317 oil filter in place of the PH6607?

Is the Idemitsu 0w20 oil that dealers are supposed to use the high-moly (Zepro) or their regular 0w20 synthetic?

How many of you Mazda owners have ran the over sized PH7317 oil filter in place of the PH6607?

Idemitsu did some streamlining recently and I believe the Zepro line is gone. As for the filters, I don’t use that brand. Only the Roki.

The PE01-14-302B made by Roki in Japan is much better than that one. It is the only one I use. Get them on eBay from the middle-east.

It would be interesting to see both a Japan and a Thailand filter cut open and compared. My guess is that there would be little difference between the two.

It’s nice to see a baseplate like that. No burrs, no sharp edges. Everything is built to perfection.

I don't know how he is measuring in the video, but no auto oil filter has a .030" thick can.

It would be interesting to see both a Japan and a Thailand filter cut open and compared. My guess is that there would be little difference between the two.

It’s nice to see a baseplate like that. No burrs, no sharp edges. Everything is built to perfection.
Plus the one from Mexico too.

I changed the factory fill in our new CX-30 yesterday @1500 miles (1491 to be exact). I used
Idemitsu 0w20 for this first change and the Walmart ST 6607 filter (which seems as good as any other non OE filter for the 5 or 6K OCI planned).

The one thing I found strange is that when I put in 4.8 qts. (as listed in the OM) it only registered a small way up between 'Add' and 'Full'....even when I added the rest of the 5 quarts (the other 6 oz.) it's still only half way between those marks. I usually fill my oil to the top line ('Full') especially in my kids cars (because I'm never sure they'll check the oil). I do remember reading that Mazda Skyactive engines are hard to get a true reading on the dipstick. Should I add another few ounces or leave well enough alone? The FF was right to the 'Full' line on the dipstick and I did seem to drain 5 qts. so 'overfilling' doesn't seem to bother Mazda? TIA.

I changed the factory fill in our new CX-30 yesterday @1500 miles (1491 to be exact). I used
Idemitsu 0w20 for this first change and the Walmart ST 6607 filter (which seems as good as any other non OE filter for the 5 or 6K OCI planned).

The one thing I found strange is that when I put in 4.8 qts. (as listed in the OM) it only registered a small way up between 'Add' and 'Full'....even when I added the rest of the 5 quarts (the other 6 oz.) it's still only half way between those marks. I usually fill my oil to the top line ('Full') especially in my kids cars (because I'm never sure they'll check the oil). I do remember reading that Mazda Skyactive engines are hard to get a true reading on the dipstick. Should I add another few ounces or leave well enough alone? The FF was right to the 'Full' line on the dipstick and I did seem to drain 5 qts. so 'overfilling' doesn't seem to bother Mazda? TIA.

What I used to do was to add five quarts, run the engine to check for leaks and check again after enough time had passed to let the oil drain back down.

The five quarts is enough. If you want it up to the full mark add more oil. As long as you are in between the holes you are good to go. After a couple days of driving check again and add if you like.

I always use a hair over 5.5 qt. Gets it up to top hole.
I will probably put 5 quarts in (6oz. more than the OM recommends)....5.5 qts. is a little more than I'm comfortable with. Most vehicles I've owned had dipsticks that read at the top when the listed capacity was added....I'm not used to Mazda's middle of the dipstick means 'Full' calibration.

PS: The 2 Mazda's that I bought new in the 80's....a 1982 GLC...and a 1989 626...had dipsticks that read 'Full' when the OM capacity of oil was added.

Last edited:
Back