Maybe Pennzoil Ultra Platinum burning off more than most other brands via getting into the combustion cylinder is a good sign

I am in now way trying to start anything, buy I have always been under the impression that Amsoil was the Godfather of of synthetic oils.

Please inform me! I'm now very curious!
Its know way not now way! Actually there was a company back in the 1960's that may have started the synthetic oils that we know today. There is a history between Amsoil and Mobil and from my memory Mobil may have given Amsoil the basestocks for there oil. Maybe Mobil 1 had better advertising or availability in the 80's because that is all I saw on the shelves until Valvoline came out with a synthetic oil.
Fabulous50s you might want to Google Synthetic Oils and read everything!

I used it in my PUP in my car one time. Burned a lot of oil. Went back to QSUD with good results. Just my personal experience. Seems like certain engines have a dis taste for certain oils.

Its know way not now way! Actually there was a company back in the 1960's that may have started the synthetic oils that we know today. There is a history between Amsoil and Mobil and from my memory Mobil may have given Amsoil the basestocks for there oil. Maybe Mobil 1 had better advertising or availability in the 80's because that is all I saw on the shelves until Valvoline came out with a synthetic oil.
Fabulous50s you might want to Google Synthetic Oils and read everything!
I think you meant to write " no way".... like I meant to type.

Yes I know how to Google, I was just inquiring about a statement made here.

I googled about Pennzoil Ultra Platinum burning off and found a thread on some forum about an RX-8 that quoated an e-mail reply from Pennsoil saying that it burns off clean and does not make carbon deposits when some gets into the cylinder.

And there are YouTube videos about it cleaning pistons better than any other oil.

SHU 5w-40 burned about 0.5l per 10k km in my Rav4, but M1 0w-40 doesn't burn any in that oci range. This is my experience, but my drive patten change all the time, so its hard to compere.

Pennzoil had an ad a few years back stating PUP cleaned 25% better than their own PP. So if it burns off faster than other oils (as attested to by others) with it's added cleaning abilities maybe OP has a somewhat valid point. Not sure, could be a possibility though.

One Pennzoil video made by Pennzoil says there oils are clean burn. It's been awhile since I've seen that video but if I remember correctly they were suggesting that it does not foul spark plugs or the catalytic converter if it is burned in the cylinder.

Just my view, and I am not an oil “expert”.
My 2019 is running PUP 0w20. So far not a drop of oil loss. I do not run hard but only do short trips (severe service). One thing I cannot stress more… When things happen wrong, do not blame it on your oil choice. The oil should match your OM recommendations approvals. A hardware issue would be the first thing in mind. (OCI change might help)

Did you mention what engine you put the PUP oil in? 2016 Honda CR-V
Page 452

Last edited:
Yes it is my 2016 Honda CRV. By the way I use engine braking everyday I drive it to go down The Long Hills in Pittsburgh. I shift it down to sport mode and sometimes even to L. Also there is a long winding Hill that I go up every day that I drive it in order to come home. It's near my house so by the time I get to it the engine is fully warmed up and usually if it is late in the evening there's no traffic in front of me I shifted down to sport mode before the bottom of the hill and let it fly up the hill. I actually can't use all the power that's available in sport mode because on the bends I would end up rolling it over. 185 HP and 181 ft. lb. If torque does not sound like much when there are vehicles out there with twice that much HP or more, but in a lightly loaded CR-V in sport mode with a CVT it is more than anyone could use with the curves in that road.

I think the downshifting might cause a little bit of oil to get pulled past the valve seals and the near Full Throttle for a little bit flying up that hill every day might cause some oil consumption.

There is one spot that I know of that is dead flat level and I park it there sometimes and give it 15 minutes for the oil to settle down to the sump and top it off if it needs it. I have to wait 15 minutes each time I add oil to see where it ends up on the stick also. I end up adding about a half a quart total for each OCI. And I changed the oil whenever the maintenance minder gets down to 20%. Usually that's about 8 or 9 months and around $3,200 to 4,200 miles. And I'm using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 with a Fram Ultra oil filter that I change every time.

The first time I emptied a full use of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20 from it I sent a sample into Blackstone and they said that the oil held up fine was still within its viscosity range and wear metal amount was below standard for that type engine the TBN was still plenty good enough to run it longer and the ultra filter was doing a good job because the particulates were in the good range. I'm not going to extend the OCI because of what Blackstone said, that seems to be their standard line if the oil was decent that you should run it longer.

Last edited:
As the title says "Maybe Pennzoil Ultra Platinum burning off more than most other brands is a good thing" because this might mean that it is actually getting into the slots that the piston rings are in so it can work in that area to keep it clean.
When an engine uses/burns oil that gets past the piston rings, it's mainly between the ring face and the cylinder bore. If the rings are sticking in their grooves (especially the oil control ring set), then they don't seal as well against the cylinder wall, which causes more combustion blow-by and lack of ideal oil control.

Engine that started burning oil has a mechanical issue. This is the main issue, not the oils

That's not how it works.....

If you think its the way its supposed to work, rip off a oil injection pump off of a rx7, plumb it into your intake. That piston and combustion chamber will be well lubricated.

Yeah, do that.

Could be burning oil due to the D.I.. with its fault of fuel dilution . Looks to be the 1.5 Ltr. with Direct Injection .

Found this . May want to take a look a NHTSA or CarComplaints for others with your issue . Only 16 ? Luck of the draw .

IMG_9945.JPG

Back