Married, sleeping in separate beds.

King Size.

Her, Me, the miniature Schnauzer Maggie.

Big enough for her to have her side and me to have mine.

I have RLS (have since Ive been a kid) before there was a name for it- and I move around a lot.

We have little AirPods on each night stand and play ambient sounds (rain, ocean, river, nature, ) they drown out the little snoring that does occur.

Wife and I sleep together. We both like a plush mattress thankfully. We have a California King which should be more popular than it is. I sleep on my stomach as does my wife, however, I sleep with a pillow over my head.

Wife and I sleep together. We both like a plush mattress thankfully. We have a California King which should be more popular than it is. I sleep on my stomach as does my wife, however, I sleep with a pillow over my head.
Man, we don’t! We love our extra-firm Simmons Beauty Rest.

In fact, going on trips is a problem because whatever bed we end up sleeping on is always too soft. And usually has a divot in the middle that rolls us into each other. It’s a big problem!

I get why people sleep separately but could never do it.

We’ve only been married 2.5 years. (I have no idea what I’m talking about.) We are both self centered bed hogs and it was nothing for her to wake up with me on her and visa versa. Not so bad when watching TV, but 2am not so much.

A king bed has made a huge difference. The mattress is awesome too. No more lower back pain.

The **** cat has been taking up that extra space lately though.

Idk... Only been married for (almost) 4 years, I snore like an elephant, she is a night owl. But every time someone mentioned separate beds - we both strongly oppose it. Even when shopping for a used Airstream - we always discuss how to change the separate beds that every Airstream has into a single bed. Spark is strong, and hopefully will stay strong for many years to come. I will say that at one point a separate bed topic did come on, due to my swing day/night work schedule, and the whole bed squeaking and shaking, and having dips down the center rolling us into each other. But after going to memory foam mattress that issue (along with sore backs every night) is long gone. I do see us maybe getting a King or California King one day when bedroom is bigger. But until then a Queen works great so far. #spoon4life

Last edited:
Never would have guessed.

A year ago a mistake was made letting a nervous dog up on the bed in a weekend rental that continued back home, now we have a king mattress and it's almost like being in separate beds. With a dog in the middle. :(
We kind of fell for that with our Golden Retriever but he ultimately knows his place is at the foot of the bed on the floor. We let him up on the bed while watching tv etc but then he has to get down.
I only sleep in the other room if I drink too much and snore. She doesn’t sleep well without me, but due to health issues she’s up a lot at night which in turn sometimes keeps me awake

1630113843613-jpg.68720
Better: ”Honey I’m feeling frisky”….”wait till tomorrow night babe. I’m tracking the new KY Jelly EP Synthetic I ordered and it will be here tomorrow for sure”!

Full disclosure: 32, never married, in a committed relationship.

I actually lit up when I saw this thread. I have for YEARS believed that separate beds/bedrooms are one of the single best relationship moves a couple can make, the other being keeping separate bank accounts.

I've always been a "starfish" sleeper. On my stomach, arms hooked under my pillow with my elbows wide, lying diagonally from corner to corner. I also tend to reposition many many times in my sleep. I currently have a queen, but even when sharing a king with someone I get an overwhelming fear of disturbing the other party due to my odd sleeping habits. That, in turn, makes it borderline impossible for me to get solid sleep as my brain is constantly thinking about the bother I'm causing the person sharing my space.

While separate rooms may be a bit excessive to some, it carries it's own validity. Let's face it: what real reason is there to be unconscious next to your partner? Yes, cuddling has it's place. Of course being intimate does as well. When it comes down to it, though, prove to me that there's any benefit to actually sleeping next to another person. I just don't see it. Good sleep is one of the most important health aspects of human life, why deprive one's self of healthy habits due to "social norms".

Last I checked, the point of being in a relationship was to cherish and enjoy each WAKING moment with a partner. If you aren't awake, what difference does it make? Personally, I'm a heavy sleeper. I could be sawing logs next to Jennifer Aniston and wouldn't know her from my dog after lights out.

I'm a heavy sleeper. I could be sawing logs next to Jennifer Aniston and wouldn't know her from my dog after lights out.

Same. I'm usually out for the duration before I hit the pillow. I can also sleep anytime, anywhere.

Sharing a hotel room with someone who snores? Not a problem!
An airport lobby? Out like a light!
Driving with the radio up and the windows down? Unfortunately I can fall asleep doing that.

We are both in our 70's and have separate rooms. Mainly due to my snoring. At our ages a good nights sleep is more important than anything else.

Yup..been together 40 years...43 actually..I have real bad restless leg syndrome also have to rock in the bed at times. She developed a rare immune attack on her fun parts 12 years ago. Thankfully its in remission but no hanky panky. Separate works for us just fine.
I had Restless Legs too. I started stretching and that helped a lot. Just stand and touch your toes for a good length of time

I had back surgery and an adrenalectomy surgery earlier this year so I slept in a guest room in the basement for a month or so as I was always rolling around and groaning in pain. Married 10 years. I slept freakin fantastic in the basement! I am considering going back down there. I don’t know if it’s the bed or the slightly cooler temps or not having my wife next to me or the radon or the lack of one of my 3 little kids possibly coming down in the middle of the night but it was awesome. I sleep well normally but this was another level. We have a king Sleep Number but both don’t love the mattress so I need to look into replacing it.

I don't understand the separate bed thing at all...I literally can't even understand how you could be married to someone and not want to sleep with them.

My bride and I of nearly 13 years now have slept in a queen bed since we met. We recently moved to North Carolina and "upgraded" to a king bed...we felt totally separated. "where are you"? I wake up in the middle of the night and just reach over to touch her, and I can feel her body relax. She has learned to sleep on my side of the bed for the most part, so we can snuggle. I can't imagine not having that intimate connection every night.

...now if only I could convince her to sleep naked every night ;-)

Back