Manual transmission "snobs"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Ford's solution was to hold the IAC open when the clutch disengaged. This has been known as "throttle hang".

The end-user's solution to Ford's solution to EPA's problem is to stick a pipe plug with a hole drilled into it into the rubber hose leading to the IAC.

Dashpot on carbureted cars .There is nothing new in the auto world just more expensive to fix.

Quote:

I have one automatic and one manual car. I like the manual for its control on winding hilly roads, lower long term maintenance costs and on a sporty car, it's what I want. On the other hand, I have tried to drive a manual in San Francisco but I will never do it again.

I drove a semi with a 10 speed Roadranger around S.F.no biggie.

Quote:

I agree with TallPaul's reasoning. The MT makes the driver an integral part of the machine in a way that the AT does not. It makes driving more like driving and less like riding. On the other hand, I suppose that same reason may be exactly why some prefer automatics. I don't mind the MT in heavy, slow traffic. I don't particularly LIKE it in that situation, but it's not that bad.

Also, the schoolteacher in me cannot let pass the notion that the root word of "manual" is "man." "Manual" derives from the Latin word for "hand," as does "manufacture." The word "man" derives from the German "Mensch." The two words are totally unrelated. (Call me a humorless dork, but I just wanted to clarify that.)

O.K. I will fess up that I made up the statement. Besides that, my dog ate my homework.

Quote:

Quote:

On the other hand, I have tried to drive a manual in San Francisco but I will never do it again.

I drove a semi with a 10 speed Roadranger around S.F.no biggie.

I can drive steep hills no problem, even in bumper to bumper traffic, the thing that makes it so nerve wracking to me is thinking about what im doing to my clutch
frown.gif

For me:

A because of F which results in G being a major factor in any LTR. No one wants to spend thousands on a perfectly good $2000 book vehicle.

Truthfully, I don't fancy the 5 speed gig anymore. It's fine on longer commutes ..but very cumbersome around town or in traffic. I only own NON-ELECTRONIC auto-transmissions and intend to stay that way until they pry the rusted carcass from my still viable finger's grasp. I own vehicles until they die from old age ..and any contemporary automatic just can't satisfy my needs for longevity. Let the rest of the rolling population feed the repair shops or the junkyards with the repairs or remains.

Now if you've got a thick enough wallet to push these events off on someone else ...more power to you ...but typically you're still paying even more than the already ridiculously expensive repair in losses.

The day an auto manufacturer offers a $200 10 year unlimited mileage warranty is the day I'll consider a new vehicle with an autotrans. Now they can surely make a trans 10 years reliable regardless of mileage for an additional $200 in hard parts and sensible engineering ...but they won't ..and I don't suspect that they'll ever offer any such extended warranty on an automatic either. I'm sure many would opt for the $200 part of it with the purchase price.

It's one of those things. When Johnny was good ..he was very good. When Johnny was bad ..he was very very bad. You can roll the dice with your money. Even with the odds with you, I'll avoid the risk by not being there.

Quote:

The word "man" derives from the German "Mensch."

That is not correct. The English word "man" is derived directly from the German word "Mann."
The root is word Indogermanic "manu-" or "monu-"; see Vaivasvata Manu (The Father of Mankind -a mythological Hindu entity).
"manu-h" means "thinking" and "pondering"
Thus "man," going by the original meaning of the word, means "thinker."

The German noun "Mensch" (human) derives from the Old High German adjective "mennisc," which in turns comes from Gothic "mannisks," or directly from the Old English word "mennisc." The adjective means literally "manly." So much for women.
tongue.gif

You were correct in your assessment of the origin of the words manual and manufacture being unrelated and going back to the Latin word for hand, which is "manus."

Obviously, not all words that look the same have also the same root word.

PS: Etymology was once of big interest to me.

Last edited:
On the other hand auto. has seemingly has a short and uninspiring history as it comes from the Greek "automatos" and that's about it.

However I like it more when coupled with enough power, and if the torque/rpm graphs of the converter and the engine matched cleverly so that it accelerates as steady as a locomotive and has free-fall in the horizontal sense when not-accelerating. It is a hysteria to lurch forward every time you stop accelerating. I understand the taste but not for me for long commutes or for parallel parking in hilly terrain. Here I can hear when a manual is trying to park from the engine's distinctive "grauuuuuwwww".
Umph... not exactly snob me thinks.

P.S. I'm delighted to read about etymology of the "man". I wasn't know about the Sankrit roots and "Vaivasvata Manu".

Quote:

The only thing I don't care an awful lot for about manual transmission vehicles is having to adjust the shift linkage when they start jumping out of neutral.

Are they still having linkage on manual tranny cars? My '84 and '95 F150s had the shifter direct into the box. Yeah, my '77 with 3-on-the-tree had linkage that was a pain when it got worn out.

Just a note on auto trannys' first gears. First in an auto is usually like second on a manual because the torque converter (or better the torque multiplier) will multiply provide the ratio for first gear in it's torque multiplication function off the line. Therefore any auto tranny effectively has one more "gear ratio" than indicated.

Don't forget the expensive racing trannies with planetary gears. I forgot the name, but has a lever for each gear. AAlso Henry Ford had planetary gears in the model T which was not an auto tranny, but clutchless sort of unless you cconsider the bands a sort of clutch.

Don't forget the expensive racing trannies with planetary gears. I forgot the name, but has a lever for each gear

The transmission that you are talking about is a LENCO

This site needs an edit button.
The Lenco was used for years then the G-FORCE was all the rage and now nearly all the top pro stock cars are running a tranny made by LIBERTY GEAR but they have the multiple levers.

LENCO transmissions were the fastest shifting manual you could get. One progressive (regressive) planetary set after another. The problem was with the horsepower losses through the trans.

Quote:

LENCO transmissions were the fastest shifting manual you could get. One progressive (regressive) planetary set after another. The problem was with the horsepower losses through the trans.

The thing that pretty much killed the Lenco was the new higher HP engine where breaking them.

Quote:

Are they still having linkage on manual tranny cars?

For front wheel drive vehicles, usually.

For rear wheel drive vehicles, usually not. (Haven't seen any exceptions but there probably is one or two out there)

I've never had any need to adjust the linkage on a car with one.

With MT, you can be a snob and pretend that you're more skilled - just like a race car driver - and race through city streets like a jerk. If that doesn't hold up, you can justify a MT with some nonsense like MPG, involvement, or cheaper maintenance.

-Skill, any monkey can learn how to drive a MT.
-MPG, doesn't save much these days.
-Involvement, how involved do you want to be in rush-hour traffic?
-Maintenance, if you can't afford to fix a car - get a better job.

Everyday life is about comfort and being able to afford to not have to do mundane things like shifting. Keep MT on your sports car and drive for pleasure in your leisure time.

MT only way to go for me.. grew up driving them.. different driving experience altogether. I agree that bumper to bumper traffic can be cumbersome for some with a MT. I've owned both, and always end back with a MT. Big reason why I'm looking at the FJ Cruiser as my next upgrade, since it's the only v6 I know of that comes with a manual tranny (6 speed to boot)
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back