Making an air tight seal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatcha think about using a thin strip of plumbers putty around the perimeter of the air filter to help make a "leakproof" seal? anybody tried that?

I have used plumbers putty when I didn't have space for weather stripping. It works but has a slight mess factor. On one pesky car I resorted to removing the airbox & spraying the insides with pam. Attached a vacuum & sprinkled baby powder over everything. Showed a couple places in the tubing that looked okay but weren't. The K&N drop-in filter was also having problems but there wasn't space for weather stripping. I rolled some plumbers putty snakes and clamped it together. Did the trick. Later replaced the K&N with Wix paper & it fit much better. They make some sizes too multi-purpose for a good seal.

Jdd, Grease could be pulled into the intake. It would be a mess when time came to open the airbox. Plumbers putty is bad enough.
smile.gif

David

Just apply a thin layer on the sealing edges so that any dirt would be attracted to the grease (very much like the oil on the K&N's).

Gebo, could you be more specific about the problem? The problems I've encountered were gaps between airbox mounting sides. I think Metroplex is talking about microscopic pores which would be the limit for K&N oil to maintain a film against pressure differences.

David

Okay, I'm talking about where the Plastic
housing that runs aroung the edge of the filter fits up against the air box. I'm trying to stop the air from leaking around the edge of the filter frame. Make sense? I'm using an aftermarket filter that doesn't fit 100% perfect like my OEM.

Makes sense.

Depends on how bad it is. I've used weather stripping sucessfully when there's enough space. Some auto stores will have it, or Home Depot or JC Whitney. You might get lucky and pick the right thickness but I started with play doh to get an idea of the gap size. Then bought the closest stripping I could find that would make the filter seal compress when closed. $10 and an hour, or just plumbers putty and a little more work each time.

Funny story about plumbers putty though. Long ago, when I didn't have a garage I'd use quick lube shops in the winter. (shhhh!) This one time, I had told the writer to leave the filter alone but the kid working didn't hear about it. The look on his face when he came into the waiting room to show me how badly decomposed my seal was... priceless.
smile.gif

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back