M1 vs Valvoline conv VR1 Racing oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently use M1 Syn HM 10w30 in my 2007 Generac twin cyl gen that runs 3600 rpm in the heat of the deep south. This gen has only 200 hrs despite its age. Also I use non-ethanol gas in my small engines.
The question is, would this gen derive any significant benefit from using Valvoline VR1 10w30 conventional racing oil over M1 SYN 10W30 given the sustained heat and high rpms. Any serious thoughts welcome.

Last edited:
Theres less detergents in the vr1 oil, its strictly for racing purposes. Ive never seen a high horsepower racing generator before. You would want a complete package, id stick with what your already doing.

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
Theres less detergents in the vr1 oil, its strictly for racing purposes. Ive never seen a high horsepower racing generator before. You would want a complete package, id stick with what your already doing.

Interesting, how do you know that? What are the detergents and which ones are lower?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by GaryPoe

Interesting, how do you know that? What are the detergents and which ones are lower?

I'm very interested to know also.

There are 2 versions of VR1, the regular stuff which is meant for street cars and the actual racing oil.

The regular one doesn't have low detergents, quite the opposite it has a pretty high TBN ( 12 iirc for the 20W-50 ) , and quite a high dose of calcium.

I have run the regular VR1 20W-50 for 4500 miles / 2 years without a problem.

The so called "Not Street Legal" version of VR1 does have a low amount of detergents and is only ok for 500 miles.

Last edited:
VR1 uses mainly Calcium as the detergent.

The racing version has a lower amount, as it prioritizes antiwear protecting over cleanliness.

I recall having read something along the lines that Calcium does to some extent impede the antiwear additives ( ZDDP ) from working ( not completely ofcourse )

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back