Valvoline VR1 Synthetic Racing oil (black bottle)

That is hogwash. You spoke with some marketing meatbag, who likely doesn't know engine oil from olive oil, and is just feeding you a line of crap off a piece of paper. If you dump that oil, you will just be wasting good oil. That small engine doesn't care.

This is a big reason I can't stand licensing and certifications in their current form. VR1 is, without any shadow of a doubt, a better oil than any API SP oil off the shelf. The API rating really only helps with identifying and isolating cheap off-brand oils selling line flush as engine oil. Unfortunately, API standards also put a ceiling on oil performance because of restrictions to additive content, base oil blends, etc... and forces all oils under that license into a small underwhelming box. VR1 doesn't have an API license because it performs above that ceiling that API indirectly creates. In fact, the only reason it doesn't pass API is because of SAPS. That small engine doesn't even have a catalytic converter, EGR, or anything else emissions related so the whole limiting factor for VR1 with API is moot.
While I am by no means a Mr. Goodwrench, your argument about why to not worry about using the VR1 is most compelling and convincing. So I'll take your word and that of those who agree. Thanks again to all for the reassurance.

EvoMan--thanks for posting the video. I feel like I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express !

I don't sweat the catalytic converter issue. If you're not consuming oil, then it's not an issue. If you are consuming enough oil to cause damage, then you have bigger problems than your catalytic converter.

That oil will be fine in a small engine.
Oil producers were forced by our government to reduce the amount of ZDDP because their claim was that ZDDP would cause catalytic converter failure when the vehicle was driven over 100,000 miles~!
Of course un-elected bureaucrats know all about that kind of thing~!

Oil producers were forced by our government to reduce the amount of ZDDP because their claim was that ZDDP would cause catalytic converter failure when the vehicle was driven over 100,000 miles~!
Of course un-elected bureaucrats know all about that kind of thing~!
If that was really the case then why does the average PCMO package these days contain around 600ppm of phos and not the 800ppm limit, because the government didn't make them do it, vehicle manufacturers along with the API have reduced it, also ZDDP is not the be-all and end-all of anti-wear pacakges, modern cars generally don't have the kind of designs where high ZDDP is necessary, lubricants today have enough ZDDP to protect the design of engine they're going into also ZDDP has a tendency to increase the friction of lubricants since manufacturers have a major concern on fuel economy they use the right amount of ZDDP along with friction modifiers to reduce wear and frictional loss.

Back