Using synthetic oil in Kawasaki FR651V....

I have posted here before with concerns about using Valvoline Synthetic 20W50 racing oil (black bottle) in my Kawasaki engine. Pretty much everyone who replied said there is no need to worry. However, I was just on another website (engineoiilcapacity.com/kawasaki-fr651v-engine-oil-type/) which stated synthetic oil should NOT be used because of "sludge buildup and other problems." This is posted by SM CAR CARE. Geezus---I'm so confused.

Why is this in the Oil Analysis section? Perhaps ask for it to be moved.

And why not use the oil recommended by Kawasaki? Whatever license is stated.

I have a FS691 in my Gravely.

It has used Amsoil SAE 30 it's whole life. I change it every 100 hours, regardless of seasons. It's usually about a season and a half or so.

Owned it since Summer 2015, no anomalies so far.

Why not just use Kawasaki Oil K-Tech 20W-50?
Kawasaki's 15W-50 is synthetic...so I don't think there is a problem with synthetic per se.

Your manual is here:
https://www.kawasakienginesusa.com/...uals/99920-2289-01_fr651v-691v-730v_en_es.pdf
It says nothing about synthetic or conventional.
API Service Classification : SF, SG, SH, SJ or SL.
10W-40 preferred.

The idea that synthetic would cause sludging and that conventional will not is just silly.
Kind of like the guys who say synthetic oil will ruin your lawn mower or to use motorcycle oil in a Mercedes diesel. Just silly.

Why is this in the Oil Analysis section? Perhaps ask for it to be moved.

And why not use the oil recommended by Kawasaki? Whatever license is stated.
The Kawasaki owners manual I have OK's the use of 20W50 for the ambient temperature where I am, stating it may help reduce oil consumption. It also makes no mention about not using synthetic oil. The statement I posted about not using synthetic oil because of sludge buildup and other problems was not from the Oil Analysis section here, but from a different site I mentioned above.

Your manual is here:
https://www.kawasakienginesusa.com/...uals/99920-2289-01_fr651v-691v-730v_en_es.pdf
It says nothing about synthetic or conventional.
API Service Classification : SF, SG, SH, SJ or SL.
10W-40 preferred.

The idea that synthetic would cause sludging and that conventional will not is just silly.
Kind of like the guys who say synthetic oil will ruin your lawn mower or to use motorcycle oil in a Mercedes diesel. Just silly.
Thanks CleanSump---I do have the Kawasaki OM that came with the ZTR mower, and use 20W50 synthetic for the ambient temps here in south Louisiana.

I run syn in my Kawasaki FR651V with no issues and no consumption. 200 hrs so far. Its a 2012 or 13 model.( i can't remember).

I run 15w40. Currently its Amsoil AME. I have a few bottles of that.

I was using Mobil-1 20W50 at first, but at last oil change used Valvoline 20W50 for the reason of ambient temps here. Here it is in late March and the expected high will be 75. In a few months, I can count on temps being in the mid 90's.

I have posted here before with concerns about using Valvoline Synthetic 20W50 racing oil (black bottle) in my Kawasaki engine. Pretty much everyone who replied said there is no need to worry. However, I was just on another website (engineoiilcapacity.com/kawasaki-fr651v-engine-oil-type/) which stated synthetic oil should NOT be used because of "sludge buildup and other problems." This is posted by SM CAR CARE. Geezus---I'm so confused.
Let me help you out here, if everyone on this site told you not to worry then you do not need to worry about what was said on another website. Challenging the great minds on this site will cause problems. The most important thing you can do is make sure your Kawasaki is at the full mark on the dipstick before each use.

I do check oil level regularly, and change it and the filter yearly with about 35 hours/year. If I sounded as though I was challenging the experts here, my most humbled apologies are offered.

I was using Mobil-1 20W50 at first, but at last oil change used Valvoline 20W50 for the reason of ambient temps here. Here it is in late March and the expected high will be 75. In a few months, I can count on temps being in the mid 90's.
They are both the same grade and have the same winter rating. What difference were you expecting to see?

"which stated synthetic oil should NOT be used because of "sludge buildup and other problems." "

Wherever that is posted is ill-informed, since synthetic is supposed to provide better cleaning ability, and "other problems" is very generic. You can run it without issue.

"which stated synthetic oil should NOT be used because of "sludge buildup and other problems." "

Wherever that is posted is ill-informed, since synthetic is supposed to provide better cleaning ability, and "other problems" is very generic. You can run it without issue.
Yeah the URL that’s posted goes nowhere even when the spelling error is corrected. Not that it really matters.

This idea of racing oil causing sludge probably is based on the old idea that racing oils of long ago were high on ZDDP and low on detergents. I doubt that that is the case these days. Dedicated racing oils are pretty much a thing of the past.
Racers today use anything down to about 0W-20!

Synthetic oils, by themselves will not cause sludge any more than conventional mineral oils will. In fact, I suspect just the opposite just as Jeepman said.

Back