Synthetic 20W-50

I recently purchased a Cub Cadet Z-Force SX Zero turn mower.

It has the Kawasaki FR730V Engine.
They are an air cooled engine, with a 2.2 liter oil capacity, & no oil cooler.

I think I am looking for an engine oil with a good HTHS quality.

Has anyone used the Valvoline SynPower Motor Oil 20W50 Full Synthetic motor oil? It has the API rating SP, which should exceed the SF-SL recommendations listed.

I don't see any oil analysis reports for this oil in its Virgin state.

Any other oil recommendations in a 20W-50 weight (or other) I should consider?
I would prefer to run a synthetic, but maybe just as well with a conventional oil being it wont be getting extreme engine hours in a typical year.

It is being stored indoors in a heated garage so a heavier weight oil isn't a big concern.
Just looking for others thoughts, have heard of complaints with these engine starting to burn oil if using a lighter weight oil.

View attachment 211058
I have used a bunch of Napa 15w50 (Valvoline) and VR1 Valvoline in 10w30 and 20w50

I went with Mystik 15w-50 Syn-Blend. Only comes in 2 gallon jugs and expensive at that ($4/qt). The Kawasaki branded 15w-50 oil was $10/qt and also made by Citgo. I wonder if the two are identical.

After using these two gallons up, I'll likely switch over to M1 15w-50 and stick with that.

I ended up using Castrol Go! 20w-50 motorcycle oil.

It should be designed and suitable for all air cooled engines.

Doesn't indicate that it's a synthetic so must be conventional.

1719625722110175645742129458982.jpg

17196257655097009376986502065633.jpg

I ended up using Castrol Go! 20w-50 motorcycle oil.

It should be designed and suitable for all air cooled engines.

Doesn't indicate that it's a synthetic so must be conventional.

View attachment 227406

View attachment 227407
I have the older Castrol Grand Prix I bought for half price six years ago. At first I mixed it 50/50 with 10w40, but went 20w50 for the last two changes.
With that, an OEPlUS 16A filter and iridium plugs, the oil is staying cleaner longer, the used oil doesn’t smell like gasoline anymore and the engine seems to start and run better.
I had to snap off some plastic shroud to make the filter fit, but have the bragging rights to having the biggest oil filter on a X320.
Fram PH16A’s are dimensionally larger and rub on the hood.

You are in Saskatchewan Canadian?

What will the outside temperature be while you are mowing?

How long will the mower be running to complete the job?

Unless you are mowing in close to 100 degrees (38 Celsius) or will be running many hours straight on 90 degree days I probably wouldn't start with a xxW50 weight oil.

I would get something like a 15W40 HDEO - take your pick there are a bunch of different brands, Shell, Chevron, Mobil.

I like the synthetic blends. Take Chevron Delo ($3.87 a quart) or Mobil Delvac ($3.60 a quart) at Walmart US$ - you see them on sale all the time.

I would rather use a less than $4 a quart synthetic blend oil and change more often VS a full synthetic that will be 50% more $. Better bang for my buck.

Then monitor the oil level closely - if you are not burning any oil after break in then stick with the 15W40.

Only reason to use the 50 weight is if you are burning oil.

I picked up a 20W50 last summer and tried it in my pressure washer forecast was for temps over 100, and I was going to running all day with not many breaks. I still have enough to fill it one more time - but after than I am going to straight 30 or 15W40.
Pressure washers that run extended periods of max speed and wide open throttle need a 50 weight oil as they are hitting nearly 300f oil temps.

Back