M1 FS Euro 0w40 now API SP, Pour point raised per latest PDS

The only pour point that matters is that 0W winter rating.

However, since many still like to judge motor oil quality by the published pour point, here is some "science" for you:

How would you know? Based on what? Do you have some insider knowledge of their formulation? If you do, please share it with the rest of us.

It more than likely is an improvement over the API SN version. I think they wanted to improve NOACK amongst other things. No worries, it's going to be a good while before we see this version at Walmart.

I don't know. That's why I posed it as a question.

There is a lot of competition on the shelf. Raw materials have gone up. Large retailers like Walmart put pressure on suppliers to cut prices.

Some speculate that PAO has been reduced. Isn't PAO an expensive base compared to others?

The only pour point that matters is that 0W winter rating.

However, since many still like to judge motor oil quality by the published pour point, here is some "science" for you:

How would you know? Based on what? Do you have some insider knowledge of their formulation? If you do, please share it with the rest of us.

It more than likely is an improvement over the API SN version. I think they wanted to improve NOACK amongst other things. No worries, it's going to be a good while before we see this version at Walmart.

Noack was already low at 8.7cst. Raising KV100 won’t help them, but will see.

Noack was already low at 8.7cst. Raising KV100 won’t help them, but will see.
8.7cst?

Anyway, discussing a product that's not available to the public as of yet is pointless. Reading all the unfounded assumptions is funny though.

I just started my 05 Silverado in minus 23c this morning with m1 0w40 in the sump. I sure hope I don't see minus 42 ever.
The engine didn't care one but about the temperature but the accessory drives sure did. I let it warm up a few minutes before leaving, mainly for the transmission.

most” importantly, the price went up at my local WalMart.
(Noted yesterday).

FE7EA552-F514-48A9-9F7A-F54F327FD6DF.jpeg

Z

Valvoline Euro 5/40 is 13.7 @kv100 and HTHS 3.7
13.5cst now

This oil has been 13.8cSt in the past. The KV100 has changed many, MANY times.

I'm interested to see a VOA or UOA to see if Calcium was significantly reduced or not.

Still less than at the middle of the SAE 40 range of 12.5 to
Yeah but almost all euro 40's are near the bottom of the range from what I've seen. Shear stability might've been slightly unachievable with the lower viscosity of the older higher PAO formulation. My guess is they had to bump the kv100 up a touch for that. At the end of the day the downgrade sucks but I'd still use it.

I speculate that that is directed towards me?

Isn't this a "Discussion Forum" where people have conversations which opinions and speculations are part of?

I speculate that that is directed towards me?

Isn't this a "Discussion Forum" where people have conversations which opinions and speculations are part of?
Yes I believe it is. Then anyone who may have information which could elaborate and/or prove/disprove speculation can step in. Otherwise what's the point in being here.

I asked a question and made the point that there is a lot of competition in "Off the shelf" oils. That manufacturers of products have to either raise prices or change the product to stay competitive. Look at the Fram Ultra conversations. Many "speculate" that the change of media was a cost cutting move. I didn't see them being called out or schooled in the definition of "speculation".

Duly noted. Moving on.

I asked a question and made the point that there is a lot of competition in "Off the shelf" oils. That manufacturers of products have to either raise prices or change the product to stay competitive. Look at the Fram Ultra conversations. Many "speculate" that the change of media was a cost cutting move. I didn't see them being called out or schooled in the definition of "speculation".

Duly noted. Moving on.
It wasn't speculation, FRAM literally stated "allows for increased production capacity" as one of the points for moving to the blend media without the wire backing.

Back