M1 FS Euro 0w40 now API SP, Pour point raised per latest PDS

New M1 0w40 Euro PDS shows it meeting API SP and the pour point was raised from -67 to -42......... Really hope they didn't cut the zinc/calcium much but that seems likely given the SP cert...

Also makes me wonder if this is something upcoming related to stallantis since this oil was basically the SRT fill before the FCA merger, and since stallantis took over, Chrysler approvals started popping up on M1 products.. May see a switch from the Pennzoil SRT fill to this... who knows..
M1 0w40 .jpg

New M1 0w40 Euro PDS shows it meeting API SP and the pour point was raised from -67 to -42......... Really hope they didn't cut the zinc/calcium much but that seems likely given the SP cert...

Also makes me wonder if this is something upcoming related to stallantis since this oil was basically the SRT fill before the FCA merger, and since stallantis took over, Chrysler approvals started popping up on M1 products.. May see a switch from the Pennzoil SRT fill to this... who knows..
View attachment 138373
Zinc and phosphorus SP limits don't apply to 40wts. A CA/MG combinations is not a bad thing when compared to only CA.

Pour point only counts when doing "cold oil races" like done on Project Farm. What's the CCS viscosity? It has to be less than 6200 cP at -35C to be rated as a 0W.

"Raised" is correct. The pour point temperature went up.
Touche'. I was thinking of it in terms of it has less of a pour point now, therefore it was lowered in terms of performance, but eh.

therefore it was lowered in terms of performance, but eh.
Ah yeah, I can see it that way now that you point it out. I don't think either pour point is going to impact many people in the real world either wayt though ! I mean, the scandal of Mobil1 for doing this ! 🙀

Ah yeah, I can see it that way now that you point it out. I don't think either pour point is going to impact many people in the real world either wayt though ! I mean, the scandal of Mobil1 for doing this ! 🙀
PAO content is going to be substantially lower.
My question is where is HTHS in relation to that hiked up KV100? And why they need 13.8cst?

Adjustment for inflation?

Have to cut costs in order to stay competitive with the other products on the shelf.

13.8cst? Either for MOFT to make up for lesser additives, or simply to deal with 'known' shearing. The 0w40 euro FS is my favorite 30 grade. Wonder if the 13.8cst will drop into the 30 grade as well. The 12.9 was a given.

Can't wait for the VOA/UOA of this newer thicker oil.

The only pour point that matters is that 0W winter rating.

However, since many still like to judge motor oil quality by the published pour point, here is some "science" for you:

Have to cut costs in order to stay competitive with the other products on the shelf.
How would you know? Based on what? Do you have some insider knowledge of their formulation? If you do, please share it with the rest of us.

Pour pint raised as well KV100.
PAO content went down.
It more than likely is an improvement over the API SN version. I think they wanted to improve NOACK amongst other things. No worries, it's going to be a good while before we see this version at Walmart.

Back