M1 EP vs. M1 AFE ?

I have used AFE and didn't notice any fuel economy gains. If you are 70% severe duty then the extra $2 for the EP formula is what I recommend and you can safely extend the OCI more safely with the EP to make up the price difference in that AFE.

Yup, this is accurate. The 0w-20 and 0-30 products were both originally silver bottle offerings before Mobil spun them off to their own product line. I've heard mentioned that Mobil uses organic FM's in these oils to aide in achieving the fuel economy benefit, but nothing that states that this isn't being done right across the product line.
What organic element or compound would be used as a friction modifier?

Friction Modifiers (Friction Reducers in motor and Gear Oils): (Performance Additive): High molecular weight organic phosphorus and phosphoric acid esters,, family of diphenylamines and amides, Reduces coefficient of friction in formulated lubricants in the boundary lubrication regime.

Some of the later organic friction modifiers are polymer esters, enhanced olefin sulfides, and certain weak organic fatty acids and amides.

Friction Modifiers (Friction Reducers in motor and Gear Oils): (Performance Additive): High molecular weight organic phosphorus and phosphoric acid esters,, family of diphenylamines and amides, Reduces coefficient of friction in formulated lubricants in the boundary lubrication regime.

Some of the later organic friction modifiers are polymer esters, enhanced olefin sulfides, and certain weak organic fatty acids and amides.
If you had to guess, what do you think Mobil is using?

If you had to guess, what do you think Mobil is using?
Addendum: I would be leaning more toward the borated 2-hydroxyalkyl (or borated 2-hydroxyalkenyl) imidazoline chemistry because it is a "Multi-Functional" additive, in that is it accomplishes more than one function such as: an ashless Friction modifier, Corrosion Inhibitor, and Rust Inhibitor.

More Multi-Functional chemistry is being used in DI additive packages since different chemistry components don't have to be used. While the resulting molecule is more complex, its functional capabilities cover a wider spectrum of protection and performance attributes.

Addendum: I would be leaning more toward the borated 2-hydroxyalkyl (or borated 2-hydroxyalkenyl) imidazoline chemistry because it is a "Multi-Functional" additive, in that is it accomplishes more than one function such as: an ashless Friction modifier, Corrosion Inhibitor, and Rust Inhibitor.

More Multi-Functional chemistry is being used in DI additive packages since different chemistry components don't have to be used. While the resulting molecule is more complex, its functional capabilities cover a wider spectrum of protection and performance attributes.
Would this be an XOM Chemical product or Infineum?

Would this be an XOM Chemical product or Infineum?
This would be a chemistry developed by XOM and included in the Infineum DI package.

One can view Infineum as both an additive blender and an additive research firm. However, Shell, BP, and EOM each have their own research labs and when they discover/develop a specific chemistry they think might improve their respective products, Infineum will "adopt" that chemistry through a cross-licensing agreement..

This would be a chemistry developed by XOM and included in the Infineum DI package.

One can view Infineum as both an additive blender and an additive research firm. However, Shell, BP, and EOM each have their own research labs and when they discover/develop a specific chemistry they think might improve their respective products, Infineum will "adopt" that chemistry through a cross-licensing agreement..

Thank you, that's fascinating!

Way back when, in my early days on BITOG, I ran M1 0W30 AFE, did a UOA at 7000 miles, and ran 5W30 EP for 10,000. The AFE sheared hard into a lower 20 grade, the EP was still a 30 grade at 10,000 miles. On the xB 1.5 in my sig (short trips,, low gearing, VVT-i, long timing chain). Been using EP for 7500-10K ever since!

Back