M1 EP vs. M1 AFE ?

I noticed lately at my local WM that the price difference between M1 EP synthetic oil vs. M1 AFE synthetic oil is only a $2 difference with the M1 EP (on rollback often) ... Even if I ran a typical 5K mile / 6 month OCI in a suburban commuter vehicle seeing 70% severe duty - why would I lean towards using the cheaper (by $2.00) jug of M1 AFE vs. springing for the M1 EP synthetic oil ($2.00 more M1 EP amortized over 6 months comes out to $0.33 cents more per month than M1 AFE) ?

I've run both and the UOA's are nearly identical after 5k to 8k miles. So I just did another change with AFE. The EP does wind up with a higher flash point, though, I'm guessing due to higher PAO content.
Do you have links to the UOAs?

From what I read.
AFE contains GTL while EP contains PAO.
I suppose AFE is for those who want to boost FE while EP is for those who want to safely extend OCI?

Do you have links to the UOAs?
Yep. The most recent was AFE, the one before was EP or maybe AP, I can't remember. I've run both, though, and again, similar results. The PDS from EP/AP look close to the same, as do values for additives. I think the 10/10/20 run in there was on Rotella gas Truck, IIRC. Not on this sheet was a prior run with PUP. Other than those two SOPUS product runs, I've run all Mobil 1, going back and forth between EP and AP. The last UOA there was the first time I've run AFE. I am on my 2nd run of AFE right now and will swap it out at about 5k.
Screenshot_20210605-075219~2.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. The most recent was AFE, the one before was EP or maybe AP, I can't remember. I've run both, though, and again, similar results. The PDS from EP/AP look close to the same, as do values for additives. I think the 10/10/20 run in there was on Rotella gas Truck, IIRC. Not on this sheet was a prior run with PUP. Other than those two SOPUS product runs, I've run all Mobil 1, going back and forth between EP and AP. The last UOA there was the first time I've run AFE. I am on my 2nd run of AFE right now and will swap it out at about 5k.View attachment 60196
Wish you had the TBN value ( I always get that) - that tells a lot about the durability of an oil.

Yep. The most recent was AFE, the one before was EP or maybe AP, I can't remember. I've run both, though, and again, similar results. The PDS from EP/AP look close to the same, as do values for additives. I think the 10/10/20 run in there was on Rotella gas Truck, IIRC. Not on this sheet was a prior run with PUP. Other than those two SOPUS product runs, I've run all Mobil 1, going back and forth between EP and AP. The last UOA there was the first time I've run AFE. I am on my 2nd run of AFE right now and will swap it out at about 5k.View attachment 60196
I wish your UOA showed TBN. I always order that because it shows the durability of an oil and it's additives.

I suppose the M1 EP better flash point may be helpful in the summer OCI - but with a good working cooling system it probably would not matter .
Although I never did an UOA - I did run M1 0W20 AFE in a 2010 Elantra 2.0L MPI engine and it was like butter in that engine . The Mobil rebate makes the EP a no lose choice (as long as the rebate is available) .

I posted a 5k interval with M1 EP 0w20 in the UOA forum on my 2019 mx5 when I had it. I ran the car very hard for 5k and it likely could have went much longer.

I just switched to Castrol Edge EP OW-20 from Mobil1 OW-20 AFE.
Only reason was my local Walmart had Castrol EP on rollback to 25.12 from 27.47.

Mobil 1 AFE is still a quality oil. Full synthetic. Still rated one the best on the market. 10,000mi recommend interval.

I will never exceed a 10, 000mi interval between oil changes. I don't care how good the will is I don't care if it's Amsoil I don't care what brand. Dirty oil is not far from the truth of being called liquid sandpaper.
I will follow the oil life monitor in my vehicle, which is a Ford. Or Ford tells you not to exceed one year or 10,000 miles.
I drive high mileage by the time the oil life monitor starts getting down I will be preparing for a change it's usually changed about every 8,000 mi at max.

A 5qt jug of Mobile AFE is 22.47 at my local Walmart. That's darn good quality oil for that price.

The WM price difference is exactly $2.00 now between AFE and M1 EP. $2 buys magic ingredient that doubles OCI?

I kind of understand the Amsoil vs ST argument because that difference is at least decent money but why does anyone ever fret over what amounts to a $5-10 difference over the course of year between WM oils?

I kind of understand the Amsoil vs ST argument because that difference is at least decent money but why does anyone ever fret over what amounts to a $5-10 difference over the course of year between WM oils?

well, there is some people that will care about saving few bucks, but if $2 big deal, why even bother with m1, they should just get cheapest store brand oil. The other issue, suppose price is identical, will EP be “better” for under 10k oci? Thats a good question

Last edited:
I'm sure they are both good. I buy the 0W20 EP when the rebates are on and run it in my 2006 Focus for 10k intervals. I have been doing it for 160k, so I am going to keep doing what works. This last oil change I went with the high mileage version, so hopefully it works as well. No measurable oil consumption in 10K miles. Car now has 245k and is used for a 100 round trip to work.

AFE = 0w versions of vanilla

Yup, this is accurate. The 0w-20 and 0-30 products were both originally silver bottle offerings before Mobil spun them off to their own product line. I've heard mentioned that Mobil uses organic FM's in these oils to aide in achieving the fuel economy benefit, but nothing that states that this isn't being done right across the product line.

Back