M1 5w30 6000 Miles 2007 Nissan Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first UOA so trying to make sense of it all.
Car is driven about 85% rural highway.
Using Napa Gold filter.

MAKE/MODEL: Nissan 2.5L (QR25DE)
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Mobil 1 5W/30
OIL USE INTERVAL: 5,944 Miles

MI/HR on Oil 5,944
MI/HR on Unit 14,500
Sample Date 02/06/08
Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

ALUMINUM 3
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 19
COPPER 5
LEAD 1
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 86
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 3
BORON 50
SILICON 18
SODIUM 10
CALCIUM 4631
MAGNESIUM 14
PHOSPHORUS 638
ZINC 815
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 58.3
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.72
Flashpoint in °F 430
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3
TBN 7.0

Wear metals are most likely from break-in: ALUMINUM 3, IRON 19, COPPER 5, LEAD 1

Silicon may indicate that dirt is leaking past your air filter, or that the filter housing was not cleaned prior to changing the air filter and some dirt ended up inside the filter housing. Silicon is high, but is most likely residual from the casting of engine parts: SILICON 18

I think the Calcium reading is incorrect, as it is too high in my opinion. Calcium levels for most Mobil One oil seems to range in the 2,500 to 3,000 range, but perhaps I am missing something here. What brand of oil was used prior to this oil change?

idok,

Wear numbers look great. Some might say the iron is a little high, but this engine has a timing chain, so iron probably will alway be 1-2ppm/1k miles at best. Some will say the high iron is due to the use of Mobil 1. After looking at a pile of UOA's Mobil 1 does historically seem to show more iron than some other oils, but find anyone who has ever worn out an engine using Mobil 1. As far as I'm concerned iron is the only debatable finding in this report, and the oil itself seems to have many miles left in it, even with 6 k on it. (The TBN is awesome.) The iron may continue to trend down. If it bothers you, you could try a different oil, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. This is only one report and the key is the trend over time. How long was the oil in service (months)?

I have this same engine in a Rogue, but so far have only tested the factory fill. I'm awaiting the results from my second fill.

Oil was in service for 3 months. The oil has been changed 3 times.
First time waas a dealer change so I don't know what brand, second change was done by me with M 1 5w 30 and a Napa gold filter.

Looks good. 7500 miles should be fine.

Originally Posted By: Al
Looks great. The QR is not the best engine on the block. Do occasional UOA's.

I thought it was only the 1.8 that had coolant leaks?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I thought it was only the 1.8 that had coolant leaks?

The QR has some also. Not as bad though. And the fact still remains its not a very robust engine. It is prone (although not as bad as in 2002/2003) to chew up piston rings with resulting oil use. In short, I would be looking for increased Cr/Fe wear

Is it my imagination or have Nissans engine problems begin with their 'French Connection'?

Personally, after having a 96 Sentra 1.6L go a couple of hundred thousand hard miles and is still running today and then buying a new 2002 Sentra with the 1.8L have bad head gasket problems, I really think it has less to do with the French connection and more to do with Nissan Sentras being made in Aquascalientes, Mexico. Wouldn't touch certain Nissans nowadays.

My '98 Altima's engine (KA24DE) was made in Mexico and that was one tough engine, the car itself was built in Tennessee and again, still a very tough car. I loved that car, very well built and reliable. I don't think it has to do with the location of it being built, but rather a poor design..

I see your point. My point was pretty non-scientific no doubt. Funny thing is that I told my wife, "honey, that Sentra is built in Mexico, look at the sticker on it, and I feel uncomfortable with that". We bought it anyway and it wasn't 30K later my first head gasket went.

I do think that the poor design is more likely than where it was built, but nonetheless, I am done with Nissan after losing a ton of money on that Sentra and its three head gaskets. Nissan wouldn't stand behind the product either. After my 3/36 portion of warranty that covered cooling system, when I had a recurrence of the head gasket, they told me to pound sand.

i used to love Nissans through the 90's, but their quality seemed to drop starting in the early 00's through present. All my opinion.

I don't blame you. It seems like their quality has gone a bit downhill, I heard a lot of horror stories with more recent Altimas and Sentras. I used to be a huge fan of Nissan too, but I think I'm going to stick with my Hondas.

idok, your UOA look good. I don't see many UOA's on this engine. I beleive that this is the same engine in my 04 Altima,(unless Nissan made some internal changes). My engine(02-06) has the same HP & Lb/TQ as the new 07-08's. I love the new styling of both the coupe & sedan. When I first purchaced my 04, many thought it was a $30,000+ sedan until they got inside the interior(cheap).

SO far the car has been great (hope I don't Jinx it). It has had a couple of minor recalls but it runs great and I get about 34 mpg rural hi way. Feels more powerful and definitely faster than my 02 camry V-6,quieter too. Interior seems to be top quality and well put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back