M1 5w30 6000 Miles 2007 Nissan Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
That Ca number looks way off. Any idea?

Road salt?

Mom had a 96 Sentra that was used exclusively for a very large paper route in the city. She NEVER changed any fluid except oil and coolant. It was on its original ATF, brake fluid, etc. She put about 50,000 miles on this car of sheer abuse. Stop and go, stop and go, 300 times a morning. You could not kill that little 1.6 if you tried. The thing sipped fuel, started in -30F temps, of course with no block heater, and never left her stranded.

She sold it with 200K for 750 bucks to another guy who is using it on a paper route.

Give me an older Nissan any day.

Last edited:
I have driven Datsun/Nissan since 1977, up to 2000 I drove Datsun/Nissan with hard miles and never cast a shadow in a garage, never tore a tranny or engine open except valve lash adj.

Bought a 2001 Altima in 2000, nightmare, cast more shadows in garage in 2 years ownership on warrentee than any former Datsun/Nissan in their entire life time. Nissan tried to make the ultimate low emmission vehicle and had way too many sensors on it, the engine idled at 2000 rpm every time we put the clutch in or engaged neutral, on slippery surfaces one could not keep from spinning tires on gentle clutch release without throttle, nightmare and dangerous.

We then traded in for a 2003 Altima, intake screws that would come loose, cat mapping, and bearing design tampering, another nightmare. again many visits to dealership on warrentee, hated it, despised that Altima, my pre 2000 Nissans never had these problems or shadowed garages. The interior finishing was faultering, paint blotched, terrible in overall quality.

Just bought a purebred 05 Japanese X-trail, owned it now 3 full years, not one shadow cast in garage, no exterior or interior finishing coming appart, no rattles, solid. Cant find anything to complain about, tougher than nails, sure footed powerful drive train, this all wheel drive system is tough with the same awd system in the Q4 Infinity. It is exactly what my former old Datsuns/Nissans were in quality, reliability and toughness, I plan to drive it a full 15 years too without any problems.

I now only go to dealership for filters, I nearly opologise for not ever seeing the Nissan staff as I did on the Altimas, the Nissan staff tell me they only see X-trail ownerslike me when they come in for filters or oil changes . In driving Datsun/Nissan for over 30 years now I tell my Nissan Sales and Service staff than any Nissan manufactured other than Japan does not cut my grade/life expectancy in my experience. They dont argue with me, especially the older staff quietly nod in full agreement. Just glad I have a full 12 more years of driving before looking for another family vehicle that will stand up like this X-trail and previous older Nissan models.

I could give detailed punishment and Datsun/Nissan vehicles all thru years, torture tested them and never had problems.

There were a lot of threads in here around 2003- 2004 on the QR25DE, the consusus was that people needing warrantee got the Japanese build QR25DE version, troubles then over. I listened to that advice in 2004 and bought a purebred Japanese X-trail in 05,no problems.

My Datsun/Nissan experience, experience that cost me $50,000.00 in two post 2000 Nissan Altimas, now I did it right and bought a purebred, hit gold and not parting with this one. This X-trail is rated higher than Toyota and Honda in Europe, it is fully proven there, it was introduced very late in Canada, Nissan dropped ball in not getting this vehicle in NA earlier IMO. It is a high quality product. The show Driver's Seat gave it top marks years back, they could not find fault in it either. I have given Nissan Canada full feed back, if in 12 years from now they do not offer a full purebred Japanese Nissan I will buy a North American built Honda or Toyota, I know Canada and the U.S. can build a Honda or Toyota equal to any Japanese product, in my $50,000.00 hard lessen, Nissan cant in this hemisphere.

My father just bought a new North American built Camry, loves it, just as good as any pre-2000 Japanese product he has owned too. Too bad Nissan cant follow Toyota and Honda in North American build quality, have to look for everything written in Japanese under the hood on a Nissan in my opinion/experience learned the hard hard painfull way.

Cyprs

I'm really surprised you had such bad luck with your '01 Altima. I had a '98 Altima GXE (same body style) and had barely any issues with it. Sold it at 128k running like a top. Didn't burn any oil, and I just changed the oil every 3k (usually every 6-8 months), all short trip aggressive driving. I did have one problem with the alternator though, the bearings started whining and I had it rebuilt before I sold it. That was the only issue I had with it. Everything else worked great! Had the original transmission fluid too, as far as I know, and it was a previous rental car for the first year of its life. I guess every company makes its lemons though. I've had zero issues with my Integra since I've owned it either (I guess I have pretty good luck!) but I know a few people that have had issues with theirs.

Last edited:
Hello ThirdeYe, at time I bought the 01 I was excited, all I heard was great revues on the Altima reliability and quality.

I took that 01 into the shop 7 times to get that 2000 rpm problem fixed, they changed sensors etc. on it. Finally they told me there was nothing wrong with it, the computer was going to do what it was going to do. Well, my wife and child being forcibly pulled into icy intersection at 2000 rpm with no throttle was a NO SEll for me, had to let it go.

I found out later that 2001 was a terrible year on Nissan engines, my father bought a 01 Sentra, it cost him $3500.00 recently on new cat, sensors etc. The Nissan dealership told him that in 01 Nissan tried to make the perfect emmission controlled engines, he was told there were nearly triple the emmission control/sensor parts than other manufacturers of the day, thus all the expense and problems.

In hind site, if I would have bought a 98 Altima like you did I would probably still be driving it trouble free today ThirdeYe and would have saved tens of thousands, that 2.4 engine you have is templated by the 24Z that I have in my 87 Kingcab, it has 250K and run like gold, doesn't burn and drop of oil and runs hard in construction use on rough grid roads, cant kill it if I tried, good engine.

thanks,
Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back