Havoline Pro-RS 5w30 -- 6,800 miles -- 2013 GMC Acadia

This is the newly released Havoline Pro-RS oil.

s-l500.jpg

I had collected a 7,500 mile sample from this engine but it got mixed up with another sample bottle and since i couldn't decide which is where (I even smelled the samples) I just trashed both and started over.

11% Oil Life remaining on the dash. The SUV spends A LOT of time idling in Sunny Florida shuttling the kids around town but also a good amount of long highway trips of 400+ miles one way.

13 ACADIA-6,800 miles.jpg

Code:
OIL Chevron Havoline Pro-RS 5w30 Synthetic 

MILES IN USE 6,800 miles 
MILES on unit 150,767 
SAMPLE TAKEN 11/15/2022
Make up Oil 0.25

Universal Average based on who knows how many miles

ALUMINUM 5 4
CHROMIUM 0 1 
IRON 10 25
COPPER 1 5
LEAD 0 0
TIN 0 0
MOLYBDENUM 266 84 
NICKEL 0 0 
MANGANESE 0 1 
SILVER 0 0
TITANIUM 0 2
POTASSIUM 1 2
BORON 23 41 
SILICON 18 14 
SODIUM 3 36
CALCIUM 1361 1673
MAGNESIUM 472 363
PHOSPHORUS 674 669
ZINC 773 784
BARIUM 0 0

Values Should Be*

SUS VIS 210*F 57.6 56-63
cSt @ 212*F 9.54 9.1-11.3
FLASHPOINT *F 385 >385
Fuel %  Antifreeze 0.0 0.0
WATER 0.0  INSOLUBLES 0.2  TBN 1.6 >1.0
TAN 5.0

Thanks for posting! Your engine is wearing really well. Especially iron compared to universal avgs. Any idea what virgin TAN is for this oil?

Looks great. I am interested in this oil for my next change. One thing I noticed is that Chevron doesn’t put the grade on the front of the box.

Is this 3.6 direct injection?

Yes, its the direct injection LLT version (the first generation with supposedly all the problems & defects)

Its been flawless to me all these years & miles. Completely dry up until recently when the infamous side timing cover started seeping oil. This model GMC requires an Engine Out Re-seal since theres ZERO ROOM under the hood. Not looking forward to that project but I will get it done soon before the leak gets bad enough to get the rest of the underbody dirty. Everything is spotless on the bottom and I want to keep it that way.

Thanks for posting! Your engine is wearing really well. Especially iron compared to universal avgs. Any idea what virgin TAN is for this oil?

I definitely got lucky with this engine. I've worked on several of these 3.0L & 3.6L GM's with barely 100,000 miles on them and they sound HORRIBLE compared to mine, which is super smooth and silent (no timing chain / valvetrain noise) and we spin the engine to redline often.

I had plans to send in a VOA of this oil but never got around to it. The previous report from 2019 was of the Pro-DS version of Havoline. Its seen nothing but that since we got the car. The 6qt box works PERFECTLY for the 6qt oil capacity.

Yes, its the direct injection LLT version (the first generation with supposedly all the problems & defects)

Its been flawless to me all these years & miles. Completely dry up until recently when the infamous side timing cover started seeping oil. This model GMC requires an Engine Out Re-seal since theres ZERO ROOM under the hood. Not looking forward to that project but I will get it done soon before the leak gets bad enough to get the rest of the underbody dirty. Everything is spotless on the bottom and I want to keep it that way.

Try Liqui-Moly Oil Saver for the timing cover leak before resorting to more drastic measures. Can’t hurt.

Try Liqui-Moly Oil Saver for the timing cover leak before resorting to more drastic measures. Can’t hurt.
No way I’d use any additives to try to stop an oil leak on a 150,000 mile 9 year old engine. At this point, it’s obviously time for some maintenance. It’s sucks that it has to be such a severe operation but… that’s just how this car is. I knew it when I bought it.

Too many hours on the oil, it is shot - TAN>TBN
Perhaps… I was expecting more life out of this high end oil compared to the Pro-DS spec that I’ve used previously.

But I can’t really blame the oil. We beat the snot out of this SUV. It can be standing there idling in the driveway for TWO HOURS while our kid sleeps inside (fell asleep while we were driving back from the beach 15 minutes away) and we don’t want to disturb him. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

And this happens A LOT.

That's why I asked for virgin TAN. What if the virgin value is 4? Then the oil is shot if TBN dips below 4?
I wouldn’t say the oil is technically shot at that point, regardless of the TBN / TAN crossover. TAN at the current level isn’t SEVERE to cause concern, in my opinion.

I wouldn’t say the oil is technically shot at that point, regardless of the TBN / TAN crossover. TAN at the current level isn’t SEVERE to cause concern, in my opinion.
The point I was trying to make to the person who made the TBN/TAN crossover statement is that you can't really draw any conclusions about the oil being "shot" unless you know what the TAN started off at.

No way I’d use any additives to try to stop an oil leak on a 150,000 mile 9 year old engine. At this point, it’s obviously time for some maintenance. It’s sucks that it has to be such a severe operation but… that’s just how this car is. I knew it when I bought it.
Your choice. Worked for me. And Liqui-Moly is no snake oil selling organization.

What? Thats only in the marketing pics that the viscosity is removed, for some reason. All the boxes are very clearly labeled.

I was going by the picture you posted. That’s cleared up now.

It can be standing there idling in the driveway for TWO HOURS while our kid sleeps inside (fell asleep while we were driving back from the beach 15 minutes away) and we don’t want to disturb him.

That is definitely not something I would do. A quick search on vehicles stolen with children inside is all I can refer to.

Yah I'm interested in this oil to when it gets to $22.97 or lower.
I doubt it will. The base price of $33.xx is what you get.

I bought a few jugs on rollback for $29.xx and think that’s as good as it gets.

I prefer the Pro-DS, honestly. I don’t see any benefit from the RS spec in this particular UOA. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not worth the price increase. I don’t know what they are thinking. 🤦🏻‍♂️

That is definitely not something I would do. A quick search on vehicles stolen with children inside is all I can refer to.

I fully agree but we feel safe doing it. Camera’s out front recording the driveway, car is locked and iPhone is inside doing FaceTime with my phone so we can hear any noise when he wakes up.

It’s impossible to transfer him inside to his bed and keep him sleeping. If he wakes up, it’s game over. Cranky baby the rest of the day. Not dealing with that. I’d rather he get his full freaking nap time so we have a normal human being. 🤣

I wouldn’t be doing it if we lived in a bad neighborhood, trust me. 👍🏼

Back