M1 0W40 OK in my B&S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm moving my cars over to Mobil 1 0W-40 I am wondering if running it in my B&S Cast Iron sleeved 6HP engine would be OK?

If not I'll stick with the M1 10W30 I now use. It only holds 20 ounces so either way the cost is not significant.

Thanks for the help!

Better than the M1 10w-30 which is way underadditised for a small air cooled engine. OTW use john deere plus 50 or RT5 or HD 30.

Will it work? Yeah. It's overkill if you ask me so of course it will work. I bet those B&S engines could run for 20 years on extra virgin olive oil. Since cost is not an issue, I can't blame you for using M1 0w-40 just to keep things simple.

20 ounces to about $4 worth of oil. I change the oil once every 2 years so I might as well use what I have rather than buying something specifically for it.

What I have found is with the M1 10W30 it doesn't seem to use any oil. I probably don't put more then 25 hours a year on it though.

It will never work, You could blow it up......Ok, I may have overreacted. It will be fine with either. The abuse those Brigss take from most homeowners, yours will feel loved
thankyou2.gif

It's going on 13 years old now. Still runs great the way I baby it!

I should put it in my signature!

B&S live for abuse, any motor oil will be good'nuf. My mom's old green push mower had a 3hp b&s on it and the oil NEVER got changed on it.........she ended up throwing it out because the deck had rusted to bits.

I'm going to switch from 30W to 5W30, or even 0W30 for my 8.5 HP B&S. I am getting tired of it not cranking over very well when it is chilly out. I Might even go 5W40, summers here, in NC, are pretty hot.

That's the other thing, I can start my mower in the winter with not much problem with a synthetic.

Not sure about M1, but I know my briggs lawn mower will consume any multi-weight oil. I put in straight 30, and can get a full summer out of it. I agree, the B&S engines can last a long long time, but they do need oil. The manual for my toro push mower calls for a straight 30 weight.

Would a synthetic 10w30 PCMO or a dino 10w30 HDEO be better for these air cooled B&S engines?
I have been running synthetic, but I'm starting to wonder if the HDEO might be the more stout oil for my 15.5HP lawn tractor.

I've had the same M1 10w30 in my engine for 2 years now. Hasn't used any and it still looks clean. Maybe I should let it go for a 3rd year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back