Oil and filter for my sister's Corolla

And why are you assuming that?
You sure didn't mention it in the initial post. If she was handy with a wrench, and she planned to change her own oil, that sure would have been a pertinent detail to include in the post. Just as including the engine type. Since, it seems that several pertinent details were left out, maybe you got some replies not to your liking.
For a gently used Corolla (and I am assuming that since it hasn't been mentioned that the car is driven hard) , any synthetic oil of a grade that the owner's manual suggests would be more than enough. Salt and rust is more likely to get the car, than any oil choice that the owner makes.

Mobil-1 EP Triple Action.
Engine will do great on either 0w20 or 5w30.

Denso supposedly makes the OEM oil filter. I'd probably stick with it.

Last edited:
Toyota employs an army of engineers to figure out exactly what your vehicle needs.

I would stick to a 0w20 oil (Pennzoil Platinum) and use Toyota filters that are already inexpensive.

Take it to your mechanic and let them handle it.

You could follow every recommendation in this thread and I highly doubt it would make any difference. Any oil or filter mentioned. 1 year to 5 year oci. That Corolla will last for 25+ years and if it doesn't, it wasn't because of the oil or filter.

Toyota employs an army of engineers to figure out exactly what your vehicle needs.

I would stick to a 0w20 oil (Pennzoil Platinum) and use Toyota filters that are already inexpensive.

I still say bring it to me. Pretty nice here this time of year. Or any time of year.
@Shel_B are you listening? You and Sis are welcome here anytime!

My sister bought a low-mileage 2021 or 22 Corolla last year. It is one of those certified used cars that Toyota, and other manufacturers sell.

It's now time for her first oil change, and here are the details of her situation.

She lives in one of the boroughs in NYC. She doesn't drive much .... 2,000 miles this past year and she doesn't see that changing very much. She's retired, so there's no daily commute, and the car is used for mostly short trips and drives of less than 20 miles or so. She plans to keep the car forever ... she kept her last Corolla for 24 years.

I'm recommending once a year OCIs. My suggestions to her are M1 EP 5W-30 or M1 FS 0W-40. As for a filter, the Fram Ultra seems to be a good choice as does the Royal Purple.

Neither she nor I are interested in saving $$$ on oil changes. In other words, for a once a year change, the cost is inconsequential and is not really a consideration.

For her driving scenario, would you recommend the 5W-30 or the 0W-40. And are the filter choices I suggested still considered OK?
This car is likely to be short tripped. Moisture in the oil will form sludge, especially in colder weather.
NYC sees cold temperature in the teens and single digits Farenheit in the winter.

For the OCI, I wouldn't go past 6 months regardless of oil used or how low the miles driven are (to avoid the short trip in cold weather sludge potential). Any 5W-30 full synthetic and high efficiency oil filter of your choice would be fine.

LOL. I think alot of car manufacturers are more interested in recommending the thinnest oil possible so they can avoid the most CAFE fines.

I still say bring it to me. Pretty nice here this time of year. Or any time of year.
@Shel_B are you listening? You and Sis are welcome here anytime!
I'd like to take you up on that offer. It would be nice to meet you in any case. I may be heading down to Half Moon Bay in the not-too-distant future. If that happens, I'll be in touch.

My sister bought a low-mileage 2021 or 22 Corolla last year. It is one of those certified used cars that Toyota, and other manufacturers sell.

It's now time for her first oil change, and here are the details of her situation.

She lives in one of the boroughs in NYC. She doesn't drive much .... 2,000 miles this past year and she doesn't see that changing very much. She's retired, so there's no daily commute, and the car is used for mostly short trips and drives of less than 20 miles or so. She plans to keep the car forever ... she kept her last Corolla for 24 years.

I'm recommending once a year OCIs. My suggestions to her are M1 EP 5W-30 or M1 FS 0W-40. As for a filter, the Fram Ultra seems to be a good choice as does the Royal Purple.

Neither she nor I are interested in saving $$$ on oil changes. In other words, for a once a year change, the cost is inconsequential and is not really a consideration.

For her driving scenario, would you recommend the 5W-30 or the 0W-40. And are the filter choices I suggested still considered OK?
I never hesitate to go a little thicker. I’d just roll with the 5w30 and never look back.

Back