M1 0W40 In 5W30 Rated Applications ?

Today at wm M1 0W40 Euro (a3/b4 MB stuff) was $22.xx for 5 qt. and the regular M1 EP 10W30 (jug says 15K miles) was $2 more.
I use M1 EP 10W30 in one car. Don't mind moving up to 40.

Curious why the non-Euro EP without any bells & whistles is more expensive. Do you know why? Marketing or does EP (15K) has more polyalphaolefin? ❄

EP simply costs more because it's branded "EP" whilst the Euro oil is "plain" bottle, so commands the same price as regular M1, even though most of the applications that call for it are, and it is approved for, extended drain LOL :LOL:

EP simply costs more because it's branded "EP" whilst the Euro oil is "plain" bottle, so commands the same price as regular M1, even though most of the applications that call for it are, and it is approved for, extended drain LOL :LOL:

That is so true and also ironic!

I wonder if EP can pass the same tests as Euro (MB,VW) but it's not certified for whatever (marketing?) reason and/or since its a 10W, it may not meet/pass the same cold temp tests. Also the lower hths may not meet the required limits ...
I'm not familiar enough with those specs.

I wonder if EP can pass the same tests as Euro (MB,VW) but it's not certified for whatever (marketing?) reason and/or since its a 10W, it may not meet/pass the same cold temp tests. Also the lower hths may not meet the required limits ...

The irony of what you're saying here is that the Europeans have their own versions of low SAPS motor oil. Just look at Mobil 1 ESP 0W-20, 0W-30,5W-30 and X2 0W-40. The ESP 0W-40 Dexos 2 is only for the US market, and it's derived from the FS 0W-40, so it's neither here nor there. But the other ones in this lineup, especially the 5W-30, are much better than the EP product line. Our thin oils are meant for fuel economy at any cost. As I have found out, these oils are not suitable for any of my vehicles, because their engines are either old GDI designs or in the case of the RAM 1500, it doesn't have an oil cooler. I'll take the MPG hit to get better wear protection.

I periodically run M10w40 for an oci in my engines. the viscosity, Ester and ZDDP are all,attractive. Currently on RGT in both.

M1 FS 0W-40 has a decent amount of detergents, so I bet you like that cleaning power. How is RGT? I never tried it.

Last edited by a moderator:

The 10w-30 wouldn't, I don't think, because I believe most of the Euro approvals are for 5w and 0w winter designations from what I've seen. There are multiple tiers on the HTHS side of things, so that's only an issue if you were shooting for an approval that was HTHS 3.5cP or higher.

The irony of what you're saying here is that the Europeans have their own versions of low SAPS motor oil. Just look at Mobil 1 ESP 0W-20, 0W-30,5W-30 and X2 0W-40. The ESP 0W-40 Dexos 2 is only for the US market, and it's derived from the FS 0W-40, so it's neither here nor there. But the other ones in this lineup, especially the 5W-30, are much better than the EP product line. Our thin oils are meant for fuel economy at any cost. As I have found out, these oils are not suitable for any of my vehicles, because their engines are either old GDI designs or in the case of the RAM 1500, it doesn't have an oil cooler. I'll take the MPG hit to get better wear protection.

M1 FS 0W-40 has a decent amount of detergents, so I bet you like that cleaning power. How is RGT? I never tried it.

I like RGT. If it wasn’t for all the rebates and clearances I don’t know if I would have tried it. Now that I have run it for a couple of OCIs we n each vehicle I think it holds up well to time and miles and it’s physical properties don’t appear to change much over an oci. Basically nothing to complain about. Some info https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/here-it-is-first-rotella-gas-truck-0w20-voa.305419/

I basicly run it 5000-7000 miles. if I can’t get it on clearance or sale I would probably go back to the Mobil 1 0w40 or Havoline pro DS 10w30

Holy Wombat. Says who the M1 0W40 is "extremely shear resistant"? Have some data to back that up?
Yes, my old UOA, in all it never shear down below 13cst, but that is old batch.
5W30 I use in Sienna after 10K shear down like 0.2cst.
Now that you mentioned that, I will do fill of M1 0W40 next week to BMW since I will track car in October several times, so will let you know. Maybe I do it in Tiguan too.

Pretty sure I will run some 0W-40 in my 2019 Limited F-150n(3.5 H.O)! I have heard some great things about it--Im at 8K at the moment!

I have a well maintained 2007 Kia Sedona 3.8L V-6 with 260,000 miles on it . I generally rotate around on sale 5W30 D1/G2 rated 5W30 synthetic oils at 5K ~ 6K mile / 6 month OCI's with a Fram Ultra filter. I was curious if there is any benefit to stepping up to M1 0W40 ? The Kia burns no oil and has no leaks on 5W30 synthetic now ... Your thoughts ?

That's odd. The Hyundai's usually offer a 40 Grade option in the manual.

Faulty memory I guess... I was thinking Hyundai used to have a wide range in their Owner's Manual on the older cars.
Well, I also forgot about DI- I can't remember if Hyun/Kia allows for XW-40 in their DI, N/A engines. On non-DI, N/A engines like the 3.3L Lambda, Kia allows for 5W-20/30, and 10W-30.

Well, I also forgot about DI- I can't remember if Hyun/Kia allows for XW-40 in their DI, N/A engines. On non-DI, N/A engines like the 3.3L Lambda, Kia allows for 5W-20/30, and 10W-30.
Looking through my owners manual, the 2.4 DI,N/A engine permits: 10W-30, 5W20 and 5W30. No 40wt.

Looking through my owners manual, the 2.4 DI,N/A engine permits: 10W-30, 5W20 and 5W30. No 40wt.
Thanks for the confirmation. That sounds about right- that's pretty much the standard recommendations for Hyun/Kia.

Only if you have a turbocharged engine, I believe. Their N/A engines usually call for a 5W-20, with a 5W-30 being acceptable.
*OP here : My '07 Kia Sedona is the non- turbo PFI 3.8L V-6 model , so no 40 weight oil listed in the manual.

No he does not.
If the cST test of UOA shows less than when oil is new, doesn't that mean the VII's have sheared and no long can keep the oil as thick as it was when new? What more proof does there need to be? Yeah, there's grade ranges, so are you asking if the shearing causes the oil to fall into another grade spec? Is that needed to show it sheared?

Back