M1 0w-40 got hot again at the track so tried some motul 300v 10w-40 in my Z06

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I did find that the "speedshop" at VIR carried red line but those aholes wanted $11.50 a quart, I had already spend $80 on oil on sat so I didn't want to spend another $90 on sunday just to try the redline.

Another guy with a Z06 who was running fast too, had some M1 10w-30 in his and was usually about 10° cooler then I was.

I actually hit 314° oil and 250° water on sunday when I did 5 hard laps chasing my buddy around the track. I did a 2:13.1 which was 4.4 seconds faster then my best time last year.

Does anybody know what the HTHS is on the Motul? I had a quick look at their site and didn't see it. Would also like to see the other stats as well on it.

After the cooler I will use Redline 10w-30 I think. But thats a while off so will decide then.

I really din't like running a 50 weight in these LSx motors myself. I think the temps would of been higher yet.

Other friend who is stroked out to a 383 and had a big radiator with intergraded oil cooler was seeing 295° oil temp. But he has a "chin" spoiler installed which we all thinks blocks some airflow to the radiator. He was running new M1 15w-50EP.

Other guy with near stock 04 Z06 and the same cooler was about 270° oil. M1 10w-30.

Here are some HTHS and VI #s that I found on another site:

Motul 300V 5w-40

VI Index 176
HTHS 4.51

Motul 300V 10w-40

VI Index 161
HTHS 4.19

Motul 300V 15w-50

VI Index 154
HTHS 5.33

Mobil 1 Motorsport 15w-50

VI Index 153
HTHS 5.11

That is pretty hot and an oil cooler is probably in order.

Are you actually Racing or is this simply a driver's ed?

Does the car cool down pretty quickly when you back out of it?

Until you get your oil cooler, you might try shifting at 1000 rpm less. Using 5th or 6th on long straights. Taking that flat out third gear corner in fourth at 2000 rpm lower. My point is, driving at 8/10ths or 9/10ths is only a tad slower than 10/10ths (and sometimes quicker) and much, much easier on a street car and should bring your temps down. Sure some of the oils discussed here can handle 270-300F but that is awfully hot. There is really no reason to take such risks at a driver's ed.

Don

DE. Yes I am pushing it, but never went off and have only been off 1 time with all 4 in 27 trackdays. Incase you have never been to VIR their are very few walls, not like Road Atlanta. I feel safer runing sub 2:15 laps at VIR then I did when I drove thru Atlanta on the way home.

I was doing a cooldown lap or two, making sure I was staying out of everybodies way. It would drop down to 280° or so. It would usually take 4-5 laps to get to 300°.

quote:

I feel safer runing sub 2:15 laps at VIR then I did when I drove thru Atlanta on the way home. [/QB]

Amen Brotha...

It sounds like you have been having a blast. I have never been to VIR but it is on my list of "tracks that I must drive". I am sure you will be more comfortable once you get the cooler installed.

Good Luck and keep the shiny side up.

Don

quote:

Originally posted by Don Stevens:

quote:

I feel safer runing sub 2:15 laps at VIR then I did when I drove thru Atlanta on the way home.
Amen Brotha...

It sounds like you have been having a blast. I have never been to VIR but it is on my list of "tracks that I must drive". I am sure you will be more comfortable once you get the cooler installed.

Good Luck and keep the shiny side up.

Don [/QB]

Yes its a PITA having to worry about oil temps. VIR is a very nice facility and maybe even a better track.

A significantly thicker oil will increase oil pressure - however it will also make the oil temps run significantly hotter. The M1, 0w-40 is shearing rapidly in this type of service, hence your low oil pressure...

I'd try the 3.2 Cp, Mobil 1, 10w-30/EP and NOT a 5w-40 w/ HT/HS > 4.0 Cp - that's too thick here. I'd also change the transmission fluid and rear axle to low viscosity synthetic lubricants. Amsoil or Redline fluids would be my top two choices here:

Manual Transmission, Amsoil Syncromesh fluid (MTF) or Redline MTL....

Rear diff, Amsoil Severe Gear or RL, 75w-90/GL-5....

Tooslick

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
I had M1 0w-40 fail me in a Volvo 850 Turbo. On two trips between San Diego and Phoenix on 110F+ days the combination of oil temp rise and falling oil pressure blocked the A/C, a built in switch to save the engine from people like me. I switched back to RL 10w-40 and trips were not problem, anymore. I don't think M1 0w-40 is up to the job when things get tough. I know this isn't racing, but it hot, 80+ speeds, mountains, head winds, and a black station wagon with the A/C of full blast. The trips are usually out and back in one day, 800 miles.

Have you checked to see if your condensor coil is dirty or blocked?They usually perform better after a good cleaning.Could very well solve your problems with the M1 0W40.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
A significantly thicker oil will increase oil pressure - however it will also make the oil temps run significantly hotter. The M1, 0w-40 is shearing rapidly in this type of service, hence your low oil pressure...

I'd try the 3.2 Cp, Mobil 1, 10w-30/EP and NOT a 5w-40 w/ HT/HS > 4.0 Cp - that's too thick here. I'd also change the transmission fluid and rear axle to low viscosity synthetic lubricants. Amsoil or Redline fluids would be my top two choices here:

Manual Transmission, Amsoil Syncromesh fluid (MTF) or Redline MTL....

Rear diff, Amsoil Severe Gear or RL, 75w-90/GL-5....

Tooslick

Already have Amsoil Severe Gear in the rear diff and Amsoil ATF in the tranny. Can't use MTL in this tranny. I emailed tremec about syncromesh fluid in the tranny and they said that they didn't know how it would act with the syncros. I do hear of a few using syncromesh in the tranny, but I'm not sold yet.

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
I had M1 0w-40 fail me in a Volvo 850 Turbo. On two trips between San Diego and Phoenix on 110F+ days the combination of oil temp rise and falling oil pressure blocked the A/C, a built in switch to save the engine from people like me. I switched back to RL 10w-40 and trips were not problem, anymore. I don't think M1 0w-40 is up to the job when things get tough. I know this isn't racing, but it hot, 80+ speeds, mountains, head winds, and a black station wagon with the A/C of full blast. The trips are usually out and back in one day, 800 miles.

Have you checked to see if your condensor coil is dirty or blocked?They usually perform better after a good cleaning.Could very well solve your problems with the M1 0W40.

I just brushed the front and used air from the back side a few weeks ago. Always got to keep that area clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back