Thin vs Thick Discussion Chapter 1

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I enjoyed reading this so far, quite enlightening for me, a neophyte, on all the nuances of lubricants and their classifications. One thing I take away from this is the quibbling over the "W" as in 5W/20. For many years I believed it stood for weight and I see others here believe it stands for "winter". Winter is a subjective term that is interjected into all these tables of objective data and is useless in choosing an oil when I look at winter here in south Louisiana where we rarely drop below 32 degrees Fahrenheit and compared to someone who lives in Nome, Alaska who may see that temp in late spring. The only definitive answer for what "W" stands for in an objective measurement for the number the it follows is this quote posted by an earlier poster. So there it is, "W" means that the number preceding it is the viscosity measurement at -18 degrees C, (0 degrees F), a temperature I hope never to experience here in South Louisiana. :)
Now is it time for me to continue on to Chapter -2-.
View attachment 62221
Perhaps you missed my post on the first page of this thread that cited multiple sources including Castrol, Lubrizol...etc that all indicated that it stood for "Winter".

Perhaps you missed my post on the first page of this thread that cited multiple sources including Castrol, Lubrizol...etc that all indicated that it stood for "Winter".

Valvoline who's been in the oil business for over 100 years also says the "W" stands for winter. But hey, what do they know? 😄