Lucked Out On A New Ruger Mark IV !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Bill, I stand corrected.

Arizona is the only state for which I've heard that. I've lived in several states, and bought guns there. I knew the 4473 was required by Federal regulation, and I thought the NICS was, too...

But to be honest, requiring a CCW or other permit to buy a pistol, as Robenstein describes for Iowa, is MORE restrictive than a simple NICS call. The purchaser has to have gone through the process to get the permit.

Here, you show up with your money. Fill out the form. Buy your gun. No prior permitting or process required. I'm not certain I like the idea of having to obtain some permit BEFORE you can buy a pistol.

Now, if the CCW is used to clear the background check, and you can still get the pistol without a CCW, that's still reasonable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
I'm not certain I like the idea of having to obtain some permit BEFORE you can buy a pistol.

North Carolina had that -- a pistol purchase permit or a concealed handgun permit was required to buy a handgun. The CHP was pretty standard fare (go to an in-person class, shoot 20 rounds, pass the test, etc). The PPP was essentially the state running your background check and then affirming that you are not restricted from buying a handgun. It was a shall-issue situation, and you could get up to five permits at a time, with each permit able to purchase one handgun. Submit the paperwork again and get you five more, etc.

Most people decried it as a throwback to the Jim Crow era, where jurisdictional officials used to, ahem, pick and choose who was allowed to buy guns and who was not. I didn't particularly like it, either, but I will say this: it makes private sales a no-risk endeavor for the seller. Most private sellers in NC would require a photocopy or picture of the CHP, or would require confiscation of the purchase permit. That was essentially documentation to the seller that the buyer isn't a felon. I still have the guy's pistol purchase permit in my files from who bought my CZ P-07. If ever that gun is used in a crime, and they trace that chain of custody back to me, I've got that permit showing that sale was legal. It has the guy's actual thumbprint on the back (in ink) and is embossed by the county courthouse.

Some private sellers, regardless of state law, will only deal through an FFL, even with local transactions. It protects them from any repercussions down the road. While not the purpose of the PPP program in NC, that was a great stand-in for an FFL.

Except for requiring a permit for concealed carry, VA is nearly as non-restrictive as it gets. The process to obtain the permit is stupidly simple and, as you said, a permit of ANY kind doesn't get you any different treatment at the gun counter when buying something.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Well, Bill, I stand corrected.

Arizona is the only state for which I've heard that. I've lived in several states, and bought guns there. I knew the 4473 was required by Federal regulation, and I thought the NICS was, too...

But to be honest, requiring a CCW or other permit to buy a pistol, as Robenstein describes for Iowa, is MORE restrictive than a simple NICS call. The purchaser has to have gone through the process to get the permit.

Here, you show up with your money. Fill out the form. Buy your gun. No prior permitting or process required. I'm not certain I like the idea of having to obtain some permit BEFORE you can buy a pistol.

Now, if the CCW is used to clear the background check, and you can still get the pistol without a CCW, that's still reasonable.

Yes and no. Here is the problem with NICS. It is riddled with shortcomings, and goes down frequently. I've been at major gun shows here on weekends, and the NICS has gone down, and no transactions can take place until it comes back up....... Unless you have a CCW. Then you're good to go. Another issue is with background checks by NICS coming up "DELAYED", for no apparent reason. I know several guys this has happened to, including myself. They, and I, had done nothing wrong. Not even a traffic ticket. But for whatever reason the check came up "DELAYED". Then you have to wait 3 days until the sale can go down. This means another trip back to the FFL.

I bought a Weatherby Vanguard rifle from Wal-Mart some years back. And the old guy behind the counter started running a NICS check on me while I was filling out the 4473 form. I told him it wasn't necessary because I had a current, valid CCW. (It was right on the counter next to my drivers license). He continued anyway, and my check came up "DELAYED" for whatever reason. I then got a little hot under the collar and told him to call back, and tell the person on the other end I had a valid CCW. He did so reluctantly, and the woman on the other end asked him why he was tying up their system with unnecessary background checks. Needless to say I walked out with my gun a few minutes later. If I didn't have a CCW, it would have meant a 3 day delay.

The fact is the Instacheck System is extremely flawed. And by having a CCW it prevents you from becoming a victim of a system that's been problem plagued for years, and still continues to be so. I'm almost beginning to think they want it that way.

Anyway, back on topic. I just got back from my FFL with my new Ruger Mark IV, and the gun is beautiful. Mine is serial # 721 out of 1,000. The knife is gorgeous, and well worth the added cost over the standard Hunter Model. The wood on the handle is polished to a glass smooth finish. The sights are nice and sharp. I'll try to get some pictures up later. In the meantime I've got a new toy to enjoy.

As luck would have it, my club range is closed for renovation until the 21st of this month. I have an indoor range a few miles from here, so I might just go there to light it up and see how it runs.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I have an indoor range a few miles from here, so I might just go there to light it up and see how it runs.

If it's anything like most Rugers, it'll run like a clock. Enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back