Lost My Dad Today

Adding my sincere condolences to you, Shannow.

Not long ago I was cleaning out my basement and found a forgotten 8 year old bottle of "two buck Chuck" Shiraz (US folks will recognize this very inexpensive wine label). I was going to just pour it down the sink, but in the end decided that there would be no harm in trying it. To my surprise it was, what I would describe as, "delicious". On my next trip I told this story to some wine shelf stockers at "Trader Joe's" where the wine was purchased, and they thought it was as funny as I did.

Very happy that you saw the perfect occasion to enjoy, and share with your Dad, his gift of wine.

frown.gif

Steve, I am so very sorry for your loss.

I lost my own father many years ago. I won't trouble you with the details, but it was among the hardest times in my life, it had more of an impact than I realized at the time, and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

My deepest condolences to you and your family. I appreciate your contributions to this forum - its obvious your Dad did a great job raising you.

I lost my Dad on September 15. I miss him terribly. I feel for you and your family.

Sam

Last edited:
With Shannow's power generation background, no explanation of the second law of thermodynamics is necessary except to say that the arrow of time runs in only one direction for all living things. We will not pass this way again. It could be that time is the answer to everything." All forms that perish,other forms supply, By turns we catch the vital breath and die,Like bubbles on a sea of matter born, They rise,they break and to the sea return". Alexander Pope

How was the wine? My Dad's passing was sudden. It left left a hollow dullness unfitting to remember him by. Better to wait until you were done grieving him to enjoy it.

Originally Posted by andyd
How was the wine? My Dad's passing was sudden. It left left a hollow dullness unfitting to remember him by. Better to wait until you were done grieving him to enjoy it.

Wine was gorgeous...I was a bit worried about it with the bottle having seen better days...and the cork was very very difficult.

And it WAS special.

Am at the point where I could sit with my (month off) 16 year old daughter, and talk to her about the entire episode.

It wasn't just that day, and her...Grandad rang to say how proud he was and then suicided...that's how her 11 year old self remembers the day.

Could share the cold river that runs through the paternal side of her genetics, and the things that led up to that day...months before, years, before, and decades before.

20181201_085902.jpg

Last edited:
Better to share and enlighten than left to wonder what's wrong and find out decades later, wondering all that time what else may have been accomplished and how much less internal struggle required in younger life before diagnosis, IME.

July 19 marked 28 years since we lost my mother to suicide. I was 28, only then did her brother come forward with her younger personal history and multigeneratiomal family history. Shock on top of shock, not to mention always wondering to this day how things may have played out differently had I the benefit of such knowledge beforehand.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by Rick in PA
Wow, that's quite a shocker. The body is gone, but the spirit remains. You'll feel it over time. My own parents are both gone for some time now, and yet I still feel their presence. I'm not a "spiritual" guy, but in this I both know and believe.

I truly believe this as well. I lost my mom to cancer in January 2009 and I know that she is watching over me, I too can feel her presence quite often.

So sorry for your loss Shannow!

Sometimes out of the blue you'll get a sign they are still with you.

No coincidences of a loved one that passed away are still around...

Originally Posted by Garak
Time passes, but one never forgets.

Indeed.

Steve thank you for all you have contributed and although it's been 5 years, I'm certain there are times you wish your Dad was there.

Originally Posted by Shannow
11 years go on my 40th, he gave me a bottle of 2002 Shiraz (for my 40th birthday) to open "some day special.

Opened it today...corks really were an utter pain.

Cheers Dad..I think it's coming together now.

Just realized you posted this exactly 5 years after you lost your Dad ... so popping the cork on that bottle has significance, and hope you enjoyed the moment and he knows it.

Back